PDA

View Full Version : More audio goodness, 56k death

Sabz5150
02-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Installed center channel.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/21000-21999/21859_28_full.jpg

Here's the headunit, 5.1 processor and mp3 changer controls doing their stuff. Lotsa blinkenlights!

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/21000-21999/21859_27_full.jpg

Random trunk fodder, some primered up bodywork and... oh yeah, my sub and mp3 changer ;)

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/21000-21999/21859_29_full.jpg

Busted_Blue
02-12-2004, 05:57 PM
nice shifter!!!!! is that a stock shifter? the height seems so short.

audio..is amazing..great custom work

ALSO LOVING THE BUMPERSTICKER.

Shifty
02-12-2004, 07:58 PM
looks gay :P

blazin3gen
02-12-2004, 08:02 PM
damn sabz that looks sweet

xdeathx
02-12-2004, 10:09 PM
wrinkly hand

Sabz5150
02-12-2004, 11:47 PM
looks gay :P

How so? Sure, it isn't top end equipment but when it all comes together you're looking at a sub 500 dollar 5.1 surround/DTS capable system with an mp3 headunit and a changer that gives you almost 2000 songs at your fingertips.

Hell, I've got my own little mobile trance club.

BITESIZE
02-12-2004, 11:55 PM
I have an mp3 player with my DVD player. MP3 is the shiznit!

lightbulblxi
02-12-2004, 11:55 PM
looks nice man. good job.

Sabz5150
02-13-2004, 12:00 AM
I have an mp3 player with my DVD player. MP3 is the shiznit!

Absolutely! I have no normal audio discs in my car. On long road trips I'll burn a disc of my favorite Essential mixes and let it play. Ten hours of music on a single disc, can't beat that.

BITESIZE
02-13-2004, 12:04 AM
Absolutely! I have no normal audio discs in my car. On long road trips I'll burn a disc of my favorite Essential mixes and let it play. Ten hours of music on a single disc, can't beat that.

BYE BYE CD'S, HELLO MP3!!!!!!!! :werd: :bow:

Hash_man_Se_i
02-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Looks alright.. I have Mp3 on my deck, and have yet to use it, maybe I should try it out.

BITESIZE
02-13-2004, 12:53 AM
MP3=1,000 songs
Cd=18 songs

What's the differance?

shepherd79
02-13-2004, 04:28 AM
the center channel should be in the center of the dash. you won't as good SQ if you have center channel in the middle of the car.

Sabz5150
02-13-2004, 10:23 AM
the center channel should be in the center of the dash. you won't as good SQ if you have center channel in the middle of the car.

Two feet above the fronts? Besides, there's really no place left to put it :o That was the only place I could think of and it does pretty well.

ShawnS
02-13-2004, 11:38 AM
don't you guys find mp3 to be lower quality than cd?
compressing sound files can't help the quality.

Sabz5150
02-13-2004, 12:41 PM
don't you guys find mp3 to be lower quality than cd?
compressing sound files can't help the quality.

128kbit and above you really can't tell the difference.

Raduque
02-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Nice, clean install Sabz, and I, too, like the shifter. When that one guy said it looks gay, I think he's referring to the colors on the HU, but I bet it looks neat at night. I've yet to see my HU lit up at night, but oooooh the colors on the Pioneer HU... sorry to hijack the thread btw, hehe =P

Also, on the whole MP3s/CDs thing, MP3s are nice to have in a HU, especially if you travel a lot. My mom's van is going to get an MP3 HU upgrade soon, to replace her tape deck/cd changer, $500 combo new, all Pioneer, was top of the line when she bought it. One more thing about MP3s. Most cases, 128 really isn't enough to fully reproduce CD-quality sound. I perfer to encode at 256 or better, if you have high-quality equipment, you can hear the difference. Well I can anyway =P.

BTW, did you ever get that MP3 changer wired up for RCA? And if so was it difficult, and would you mind sharing with me some instructions to do it? I have been looking at that changer, our local Wally-world has about 3,000 of them for pretty cheap.
Thanks

Ben/Radu

Sabz5150
02-14-2004, 12:21 AM
The shifter I have is a Pacesetter adjustable throw shifter. I've got it set a bit lower than stock. Far enough to quicken shifts but not make it a chore to get it into gear.

The headunit is all red. I'd like to get the MP3510, which is Jenny's model up from that. Only difference is a color screen and it's a black unit They're both mp3 compatible headunits, and that's what sold me on the Jenny... it was one of the few HU's that could play mp3's at the time.

I've got quite the mismash of colors for my electronics, but function over form.

I never got the changer wired for RCAs :( The circuitry inside the box for the low level outputs is missing. I'm guessing you can tap off of the DIN plug inside the modulator box to get your outputs, but tracking down pinouts and schematics has been futile. I could start touching wires to a speaker and waiting for sound but then I run the risk of frying the unit.

Several different companies sell the same unit under different brand names. The most intriguing of the bunch is the Neochanger. Instead of using a controller and a modulator, it gives you 14 different cables that hook to various stock headunits. Grabbing one of those cables and getting the pinouts will yeild the correct pins to wire from.

Either way, it's a decent changer. It's a bit picky about condensation (it's cold outside!) and will mess up mp3 playback a bit. When it gets warmed up, it's flawless.

PortugalFocus
02-14-2004, 06:48 AM
wrinkly hand

you should moisturize.......

Sabz5150
02-15-2004, 01:17 AM
Just got finished testing out the setup in full DTS with some various music, and there is a big difference between a high end audio system... and 5.1.

The music was crystal clear. No distortions, no noise, no nothing. The surround was dead on and it was atmospheric and full. It sounded like it was coming from all over instead of from the speakers. Sound effects would whiz by you or circle around and fade away, then come at you dead on. The vocals made it feel like the guy was sitting in the car with you singing. I have never heard anything quite like it.

Now all I need is a portable video projector, a small DVD player and I'll have my own personal drive in theater. :D

It finally paid off! The countless hours of work, nonstop searching for the right components, sitting in my driver's seat upside down, the blood and sweat, have paid off in a way I could have never imagined!

(Ya get the idea that I'm happy with the beast I've created? ;) )

HostileJava
02-15-2004, 09:24 AM
128kbit and above you really can't tell the difference.

I don't know about that, I try not to rip or download anything less then 320, there's not much of a discernable differnence in my car but it's there and when I'm playing them on my Nak setup at home I can definetely here the difference.

Sabz5150
02-15-2004, 10:46 PM
I don't know about that, I try not to rip or download anything less then 320, there's not much of a discernable differnence in my car but it's there and when I'm playing them on my Nak setup at home I can definetely here the difference.

I chose 128 b/c it's a good mix of sound quality and disc space. At 128kbps, I can cram 10 cd's worth the music onto a single disc. It still sounds good, not perfect but it's good enough for everyday listening.