PDA

View Full Version : how do i time my engine?

johnwc723
02-12-2004, 10:09 PM
ahh i have spent a few good hours here trying to figure out how the hell i adjust my engine timing, i searched on this site and elsewhere but im still confused to exactly how it works!

im not quite sure how the whole timing light thing works or really any of it, has anoyne made a faq or walkthrough on how to do it (or does anyone want to?) as i am quite sure mine is probably a little messed up (never done it)

im packin an a20a3

thanks! :uh:

BMS
02-13-2004, 12:04 AM
look here, this is THE MANUAL

http://bstrukan.ageofinsanity.com/cars/accord/timing.jpg

BITESIZE
02-13-2004, 12:05 AM
I would just pay someone to do it....cost me $15 to have my mechanic do it.

spoon611
02-13-2004, 04:46 AM
I would just pay someone to do it....cost me $15 to have my mechanic do it.
Or just pay $20 for a timing light and never have to pay someone else to do it.

k-roy
02-13-2004, 05:46 AM
Or just pay $20 for a timing light and never have to pay someone else to do it.
:cheers: Hell yea to that.

nswst8
02-13-2004, 06:10 AM
With the manual link you should have no problem. But if you do check back with us.
Set a 3g members timing, and you set his timing for a day. Teach a 3g member how to set his timing and you've set his timing for life. "Amen"
Hope this helps, LOL
Phil :cheers:

shepherd79
02-13-2004, 10:03 AM
if you don't know how timing works and how to adjust it. leave it alone for shop to adjust it for you.

nswst8
02-13-2004, 10:26 AM
You don't want someone to gain confidence with checking and setting timing, its straight forward. Now if its a carbed engine thats alittle different the carb and vaccums must be okay before you start adjusting the timing.
But EFI is straight forward I use golf tees to plug the two vaccum lines coming off the Distributor, hook up the timing (induction) light and check the timing.
Hope this helps, LOL
Phil :cheers:

it's paid for
02-13-2004, 10:28 AM
if you don't know how timing works and how to adjust it. leave it alone for shop to adjust it for you.
What happend to the "you can do it" attitude?

Or, is that reserved for me?

What about "Hey, this is your lucky day! You get to learn how timing works - it's really cool, fairly simple and with just a few basic tools and a little practice you'll have your 3G running great in no time . . . blah, blah, blah . . . "

johnwc723
02-13-2004, 11:33 AM
alright i think i understand? yeah the maual picture is what i didnt understand before, thats why i asked, the picture that was posted is for carbed engines i have an A20A4.. okay anyways this is how it works?

i plug in timing light and put over spark plug wire near plug NEAREST DISTRIBUTOR(?)

then i let engine warm up then i adjust the timing light ot the spefication of deg above top dead center, then i shine the timing light into the hole right under the distributor and twist it until somethign lines up?

oh do i have to plug the vaacum hoses too i guess

i dont quite get it what exactly is supposed to line up, i can use a timing light in my auto tech class but my teacher is an ass and wont help me do it im sure

does what i just described sound like what i need to do?

k-roy
02-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Ok use plug#1 witch is furthest from the distributor. Thats cylinder #1.
make sure the engine is at full operating temperature.
yes plug the 2 vacuum hoses for the advance.
Loosen the distributor bolts just enough so you can turn the dizzy by hand.
Then point the light at the timing hole by the engine code stamp.
Twist the dizzy till the timing lines up.
Tighten it down, reconnect the vacuum lines and your done. Thats it.

Your timing specs should be listed on the VECI label on the underside of the hood.

shepherd79
02-13-2004, 12:58 PM
dude, if you really want to do it, i would recoment for you to buy some kind manual, or you can download honda shop manual from paul's website.
http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

johnwc723
02-13-2004, 03:55 PM
yeah i have the manual, ill give it a try next week probably, i just was kind of confused to how it all worked, i think i have got it now tho! thanks for all the help guys!