PDA

View Full Version : Tachs

troutz15
02-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Is it possible to install a tachometer on a automatic tranmission car? I want to because im gettin a manual tranny in a couple months, but i wnt to hook it up now. i thought if i ciould install it, the shuift light would light up everytime the engine changes gears. SO is it possible?

k-roy
02-13-2004, 10:22 AM
hell yea its possible.
But don't you allready have a tach?

troutz15
02-13-2004, 10:29 AM
yeah in the dash but i mean another one separate

bboipinoy112
02-13-2004, 10:55 AM
why would the shiftlight light up everytime it changes gear?

A20A1
02-13-2004, 12:41 PM
The shift light is to tell you when to change gears... you set the RPM you want the light to come on.

I use a autometer 8,000 rmp tack in my car without the shift light... try not to get a 10,000 rpm or higher tach since you'll never need that range.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/319000-319999/319268_84_full.jpg

bboipinoy112
02-13-2004, 04:20 PM
or you can get a tach without the shiftlight. or if you want the shift light then go ahead with that. or you can buy just the shiftlight and use the rpm capsuls. theres alot of ways you can go. but i really dont find the need for a new tach when you have one sitting in front of you. so you can just got shiftlight with out the tach..... so yea.. just my 100cents.

ChaseR
02-14-2004, 02:19 AM
and dont get the one that is as big as your head either! =)

A20A1
02-14-2004, 03:03 AM
and dont get the one that is as big as your head either! =)

I agree... You really shouldn't be watching the tach that often anyways... and I really can't see anyone being that blind that they can't seen the numbers on a decent sized tach. The worst I've seen is a Giant tach with a giant mega ultra atomic inferno yellow shift light. :D people behind you will probably think you're being abducted everytime it goes off. :D

They also have digital readout tachs if you want to have an actual number diplayed.
Make sure it's for a 4cylinder though.

crwa
02-15-2004, 06:32 PM
I have an aftermarket tach in my car and its an auto, soon to be switch to manual, it has a built in shift light and really its only good when you hold gears to redline and then shift manually instead of letting the gears go by themselves, but the swift light is nice because you don't have to worry about watching the tach when your racing...

skull1441
02-16-2004, 03:53 PM
whats the cheapest tach with shift light ??

smufguy
02-16-2004, 04:07 PM
dont mistake me for being snobby. But ur just wasting your money on tachs and it would just make you look a lot funnier. People like Mike (A20A1) and such are exceptions cause they have a lot of custom fabs done to their cars in performance line and a lot of forced induced cars use em. Besides, if u have an aftermarket cam and can rev over the stock redline, why need another tach? our stock tach still goes up to 8K.

crwa
02-16-2004, 04:53 PM
The cheapest tachs with shift lights are around $130... I picked mine up for $100 and its usually between $130 and $140...

soljaboy2000
02-16-2004, 06:47 PM
whats the max Rpm that you can hold the gear in 2nd and 3rd for an automatic? I think I asked before but just a quick reminder. I wanted a tach just for the shift lihgt but I guess it doesn;t really work for auto so im not gettin it. Is there way to hook a light to stock tach meter?

A20A1
02-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Yes you can hold 2nd & 3rd gear... and 4th hehehe. :D

skull1441
02-17-2004, 05:38 PM
having tach with shift light is very useful when racing

smufguy
02-18-2004, 09:30 AM
having tach with shift light is very useful when racing

a good driver does not need a Tach needless a light to tell him when to shift. When you have your car for a long time, you will automatically know when its choking and when you have to shift and downshift, upshift and what not. Besides, having a tach is always useful like you mentioned, and its good for racing in the dragstrip or while u autocross so that u would know for sure (with your adrenaline going crazy) that your in the powerband.

I just hate Aftermarket tachs period. having a car not too far from stock is not gonna be asking for a tach. Besides, a full exhaust and intake is just not enough. Serious engine work like, valve duration, cams, different ignition setup, forced induction, stroking, overboring, changing ur compression ratio, balancing and port and polishing your head might need you to adjust your power band upper or lower than stock depending on the engine mods.

JOESLIM
02-20-2004, 11:39 AM
I've Installed A Faze Tach With A Programmable Shift Light On My 87 Honda Accord Lx. I Put It In-between The Pillar And The Cluster And Then Wired It Through The Back Of The Cluster. It Does Help Visibility. The Last Thing You Need To Be Doing When Racing Someone Is Try To Look Farther Down At The Cluster When You Can Glance An Inch To The Left To See The Rpm's. You Want To Concentrate On The Road And Your Performance As Much As You Can In Those Few Seconds. I Hope This Helps

lightbulblxi
02-20-2004, 12:43 PM
does anyone kno where i can get a cheap shift light? not the whole tach.

Neuspeed87lx
02-20-2004, 06:58 PM
i have a 5 inch monster tach in my civic .... i love it ... and needed it because the dx dosent have a tach in the cluster .... if there was a tach in my car stock ... like the civic ex's have i wouldnt have spent the money.... i just would have got a shift light ... there is no need for 2 tachs ... i have that super bright yellow light that blinds me when i am supposed to shift.... thats the only thing i dont like .... its waay to bright.... ill change the bulb to blue or something so its not so bright .... check ebay for tachs ... you can get them pretty cheap now

troutz15
02-21-2004, 04:55 AM
WHen i first started this thread what i basically wanted to know was is it possible to install an aftermarket tach in my automatic '89 lx, or any auto for that matter. so basically the tachs for show for now, ive already bought it cuz im getting a b20 efi engine as soon as i clear up some issues on it. so for now, i want to know if you can install a tach in the car right now as it is, if yes, how do i do that. Now about the b20. i know theres two versions, one from da 2nd gen prelude and one from the 3rd gen accord (euro/jdm). i obviosly gettin the accord one, and it also has the most low-end torque of all the b-series engine's am i right? and a VTEC head will open it up to make more top-end power i.e. more top speed right? now if i currently have a carbed a20a1, want a b20 efi, will i have to do any major changes besides the engine itself? on the thread about this, it said theres also hope for the carbed guys and some parts for the carbed b20. is that cuz the carbed a20 can only be replaced with a carb b20 or would i have to do all the stuff requried to go from carbed to efi with the a20 anyways to the b20?

A20A1
11-14-2004, 02:08 PM
I looked online and still can't find a pic of someone with an ELEPHANT TACH

Those things are huge. :D