PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sanding...Primering

Mattphi
02-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Ok well i am fixin to add a kit to my car and then i need to get it painted. Everywhere i go seems to overcharge like crazy to sand ur car. I havent done any work like this before to my car so i need help. Is wet sanding THAT difficult to do? What all do i need to do/know or whatever? What kind of sander/paper/etc will i need. Any tips? Thanks

Mike's89AccordLX
02-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Well you can use anything over 1000 that will work nice. And you just get a bucket of water and dip and sand and then when it starts getting dry dip again. I like having a towel wet also so you can keep wiping the aread clean and keeping it wet. Then you can feel the surface to check for smoothness. I'm going to be doing some fiberglassing and bondoing to my car (Might make something nice, I can't tell what I'm working on though.)

Thedungeonz89
02-14-2004, 01:57 AM
First and foremost you need to make sure you have repaired every dent or imperfection in your car! Second, you usually wetsand after your car has been painted and clearcoated. Step 1. get a decent amount of 1500 grit sp and a bucket of warm water (preferably). Step 2. you want to dust or lightly spray your car clean, any slight piece of junk can leave scratche as you sand!! Step 3. sand in one dirction gently, one body panel at a time! MAKE SURE YOU SAND VERY LIGHTLY AT THE EDGES OF BODY PANELS AND AT ANY POINTED EDGES.....(do to the fact that the paint is much thinner at the edges) Most importantly... wait atleast 72 hours after paint process is over, i prefer 6-7 days!! If all goes well, Buff it out. DONT BURN THE PAINT!!!!!!. you should have a deep beautiful shine and no fish eyes or orange peel! Good Luck! :cheers: