PDA

View Full Version : Balance

MrBen
02-14-2004, 11:49 PM
My mechanic told me about having the axle and everything balanced instead of just the tire being balanced. He said few places do this anymore, and recommended me to a friend of his who does this.

The reason I ask about this is because I have slight steering wheel wobble that annoys the piss out of me, even though he says it is normal.

My question to you, has anyone done this before, and, did it help?

shepherd79
02-15-2004, 05:02 AM
i heard of that. what have you replaced so far?

Blkblurr
02-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Tires, tires, tires. Check or replace your tires. Balancing your axles with your wheels and tires will not help. The axles were balanced at high speeds when they were made or re-made. If they were slightly out of balance you would feel vibration not wobble.

stgardner
02-15-2004, 10:26 AM
I recently went for new tires and had them check my wheels for out-of-round or bent. Only 1 of the four was good.

Also, keep in mind that tires are not perfectly round even when new. The person mounting the tires should check for "runout" and rotate the tire on the rim to minimize it. They do this my checking the mounted tire while spinning to measure the varying pressure. The "high" spot will exert more pressure. Then, rotating 90 degrees or so to see if they can get a better (lower) number.

As I reread this, it probably isn't too clear what I'm getting at, so use this info and question your tire dealer.

good luck

Blkblurr
02-16-2004, 04:48 AM
Out of round tires will cause vibration, not wobble.

shepherd79
02-16-2004, 05:03 AM
some times rims get bend, not like smashed more like twist. when you drive they look like 8. they will wobble right to left.

Blkblurr
02-16-2004, 07:45 AM
Yep. I'd bet that's what he has wrong.