PDA

View Full Version : What size Rims.

zerotap
02-15-2004, 01:13 AM
Ok guys after much researching, reading your thoughts and inputs, and some decision making I think I know what I am going to do for now. First for the struts I have chosen Monroe Matic. Yes I know some of you have had bad experience and some of you have had good experience so I'll get them and give you my feedback on them. I am going back to stock height although I would like to lower the front end an inch if I can get away with it, but some of you say forget about lowering with monroe struts. Oh I am going with either H&R or Skunk springs I'll take a look at them and see what perks my interest when I get the struts.
The only decision I got left is what size of Rims, still need to research how big you can go with stock height I have heard up to 14.5", can anyone verify that and if so point out a couple good places to check that out. The tires I am not sure on, I do know I want combined performance for up to 140mph since our cars can't go no where near that fast anyway and gets good traction on wet and dry conditions. I'll do some more research and think some more on this before I spend $700 on this project. Any tips and thoughts from your experiences with tires that you have had would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

stgardner
02-15-2004, 10:49 AM
You can go as large as you like as long as the profile reduces. Check out Tirerack.com. There you can call up a picture of your car (maybe even the same color) and place different wheels (up to 17") on it. Tirerack seems to be having a special on the white Kosei K-1 Racing wheels at 17X7.5 ($119). There is also a recommendation for the correct tire size. You can also check out the specs on tires to see which will likely fit on the rim width you choose and the overall diameter of different profiles, although you may need a different offset to clear the rear suspension if you with a oversized tire.

I put on some 15" Civic SI wheels with the original tires (195X60-15) that's a bit larger than our stock size, but with my standard suspension, I still have a lot of air space in the wheel well and it didn't throw off my speedometer much, if at all.

Neuspeed87lx
02-15-2004, 11:52 AM
the biggest i have seen on a 3g was 19s ..... imo they looked to big ..... i would go with 16's or 17's

88accord 3gen
02-15-2004, 12:23 PM
the biggest i have seen on a 3g was 19s ..... imo they looked to big ..... i would go with 16's or 17's
:werd: 16's are perfect.

nswst8
02-15-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm not at linking just yet, but just search 86-89 accord and it will come as a search result, They were @ $100 last I saw.
Hope this helps, LOL
Phil :cheers:

BDaccordguy
02-15-2004, 02:44 PM
if u want some sticky tires for a great price, check out the yokohama AVS es100's at tire rack, i think they are about $80 ea, and i was pleased with the grip in both wet and dry.

lightbulblxi
02-15-2004, 02:48 PM
i think that 16s look the best on a 3g.

BDaccordguy
02-15-2004, 02:57 PM
yeah, those are 16s on my car in the sig.

jigga225
02-15-2004, 11:26 PM
17 inches please.
mmm, Thanks.

zerotap
02-16-2004, 04:03 AM
lol cool thanks for the input guys, i got some konig 17's on mine now, I am happy I can stay with them and only have to spend the money on tires, struts, and springs. I am going to check out those yokohama's and I did visit tire rack they recomended a Hoshimito or hoshimoto or something, i'll go check it again for wet and dry driving. Thanks guys.

Justin86
02-16-2004, 11:27 AM
I have 17's and they look sweet but I want to go to a smaller wheel and bigger tire for a more over all performance. Also the bigger the wheel the more the tires will cost. The tires I have are CHEAP and they are still $70 a peice, so also think about the future.

RobT5580
02-16-2004, 12:59 PM
I have had both 16's and 17's on my accords and i preffer 17's looks wise. If you want a better ride or have bad roads where you live i would say 16's with a larger tire maybe 45 or even 50. At first when i got my 16's tires were an issue but now even 17" tires are pretty fairly priced so thats not a big issues as it was in the past.

Mike89Accordcom
02-17-2004, 01:54 AM
mmm thanks, lol

I'd go with 16's or 17's on any 3G Accord. That way you can drop it real nicely.

zerotap
02-17-2004, 03:04 AM
I've allready have 17" Konig rims and I have found two good performance tires for wet and dry, I am leaning towards the yokohama's.

Bloodlust
02-17-2004, 10:14 AM
16's are indeed the best. Some people like 17's, but when you live in Pennsylvania, the home of the worst roads in the United States (proven fact) 17's arent really a smart option.

http://www.t2.unh.edu/summer01/pg3.gif

Nuffice
02-17-2004, 10:38 AM
16's if your into a lil speed & looks.
15's if your into street racing..

zerotap
02-17-2004, 04:54 PM
LMAO u should come to Washington State bro, particularly Seattle and Tacoma area. There are parts of I-5 that are horrid for any suspension system. And we have more than our share of pot holes, and wet roads as pennsylfvania, just not as much snow as u guys get :)
16's are indeed the best. Some people like 17's, but when you live in Pennsylvania, the home of the worst roads in the United States (proven fact) 17's arent really a smart option.

http://www.t2.unh.edu/summer01/pg3.gif

RobT5580
02-17-2004, 05:54 PM
I wish every road was smooth and flat it seems as hard as you try you cant miss all of the pot holes. I am glad i moved out of the city where i lived for 21 years because the roads there are some of the worst that i have drove on in CT. Luckily most of my driving is on pretty nice roads and they just re did both high ways i drive on 90% of the time.

zerotap
02-21-2004, 01:57 AM
LOL yeah u are lucky. Me, I get to drive some shitty freeways where they can't seem to surface evenly, and it really sucks when it rains, lots of standing water and I might as well put some hydro foil mods on my car as bad as it gets. Anyway, I am gonna stick w the 17's look for a 4th konig rim the passenger one cracked and I believe the model rims I got are not in production any more. As far as tires go either toyo proxes 4 or yokohama's avs es100's 205/40/17's.
I wish every road was smooth and flat it seems as hard as you try you cant miss all of the pot holes. I am glad i moved out of the city where i lived for 21 years because the roads there are some of the worst that i have drove on in CT. Luckily most of my driving is on pretty nice roads and they just re did both high ways i drive on 90% of the time.

RobT5580
02-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Well i had to deal with crappy roads for a while but right now i really only drive to my girls house and to school and the roads are pretty good. But last year i was working in my old hometown and the roads are 10x worse than when i even lived their. I would go out of my way to take the best roads possible adding an extra 5 minutes to my drive time just to avoid certain roads because they are all screwed up the whole stretch of the road. Hopefully it stays this way so i dont have to drive roads like that.