PDA

View Full Version : installing an A/F gauge

lightbulblxi
02-15-2004, 03:17 PM
i just got an A/F gauge. from a friend. it was 10 bucks and came with no instructions. he said plug it into the ecu by the 02 sensor. can anyone help me put this in?

Hondacrazy
02-15-2004, 03:30 PM
What type of a/f did ya get? And what color are the wires?

Magny
02-15-2004, 03:33 PM
LOL dude I can help ya. there are three wires, what color are they. If you have a black / white/ green wire set, then the black is obviously ground and the white is positive. the green is the sensor wire. as for putting the sensor wire tapped into the O2 sensor wire near the ECU, I can't help ya there. You could how ever do what I did and run it to the wire in the engine bay and soder it up (if you have the equipment). Wish I could post pics, but the ones I have aint very good quality to show it.

But I can tell you that I managed to get the Gauge in my headliner LOL, it looks cool. Much better than some gauge pod off to the side. I do things the most imaginable and custom way, instead of what everyone else is doing.

Oh BTW, my gauge is A.nother P.iece of C.rap, but it works.

Im gonna go and try to get pics of it. hope my camera will work right.

dXsquared
02-15-2004, 03:36 PM
what if i dont have an o2 sensor??? my header has the bungs, but not o2 to hook the gauge to... if i get a universal o2, how do i make it sense the o2 so i can hook a gauge to it... does it just get power or somthing???

any help would be sweet

Travis

Magny
02-15-2004, 03:41 PM
it sends out some resistance to the wire and tells the computer how much air/fuel is in the system. as for the O2 sensor missing, you can do a universal, but I suggest to get the original made by honda.

dXsquared
02-15-2004, 04:23 PM
the car doesnt come with an o2 from the factory! canadian carbed cars dont have them... but my pacesetter has them...

how would i hook up an o2 JUST to feed the gauge???

Travis

Magny
02-16-2004, 12:04 AM
If it didn't come with one, you can still just order one and put it in the bung. the wire that comes out of the sensor doesn't really need to be hooked to the comp.. you can connect the sensor wire fron the gauge to this wire and you will be set. Once I get my pic's workin on my cardomain site it will show you that I have sodered it and taped it up before the connection to my comp..

*EDIT*
Oh and since you have a pacesetter header on your car, and it has the O2 sensor bung on there, you can put the universal one on there since it's not the OEM header.

lightbulblxi
02-19-2004, 01:59 PM
alright, my friend jus found the wire harness. it has black/green/red/white wire. what goes where?

Mike's89AccordLX
02-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Travis you will need to get an O2 sensor and then just connect the wire from the O2 sensor to the gauge. And then you will need to have the red wire hooked up to a 12v source and then have the black wire hook up to a good ground source. My autometer a/f gauge had a purple wire that hooked up to the O2 sensor. It's very simple to do this. This was my first thing that I had ever wired before and it was a success.

Magny
02-19-2004, 04:27 PM
my APC gauge had black/white/green

black-ground
white-12 volt source
green-O2 sensor

that red one might be for the back light

Dragonfly
02-19-2004, 04:39 PM
i got one is it suposed to get into the red at idel?

Magny
02-19-2004, 08:09 PM
if it is carbed no, but if it is FI, it might, I don't know. My friend has a VW beetle with an a/f gauge and his is always in the red but jumps up when he hits the gas.