PDA

View Full Version : power steering!?!

puleosei89
02-15-2004, 05:02 PM
I need to go get my se-i fixed. my power steering always goes in and out basically it works and it doesnt work. do i only need a hose and is cheap? and also i think i need new belts. how muh labor is involved it all of this????? thanks!

A20A1
02-15-2004, 05:26 PM
is the belt slipping? are you leaking fluid?

accordlxi2.0
02-15-2004, 05:53 PM
if your leaking there's this stuff called no leak it's in a yellow/beige color it work's i noticed like 4 days later

jlaccord89lxi
02-15-2004, 05:53 PM
you may just need to top up your fluid. Are you noticing any leakage? I've replaces my rack twice in the last 6 months so i know what yer goin through. The hose on our cars is very long and it will run you probably around 200 bucks.

Blkblurr
02-16-2004, 04:35 AM
Sounds like your ps fluid is low. You probably have air in your system now. The hoses on our cars are prone to leaking and are a pain to change because they are so long. I paid $116 for mine from a honda dealer. Make sure the connection of the hose on the rack and pinion is installed correctly and is tight if you replace the hose. These usually leak unless you are careful installing the new one because ps fluid is under high pressure.

Magny
02-16-2004, 04:09 PM
man, just take the belt off (unless you like the lazy PS feel). removing the belt frees up any drag on the motor and gives you a few HP #'s increase. I never liked PS to be honest with ya, to me its lazy mans work. I rather feel the car and know what it's doing. I'm still trying to figure out(I already posted this but no one is answering it so far) if I remove the pump and zip tie off the hoses like it says, if it will ruin the steering linkage or wherever the fluid goes and for.

smufguy
02-16-2004, 04:51 PM
I need to go get my se-i fixed. my power steering always goes in and out basically it works and it doesnt work. do i only need a hose and is cheap? and also i think i need new belts. how muh labor is involved it all of this????? thanks!

Its most likely one of three reasons

1. Pwr steering system leak
2. Worn out belt
3. Dirty pwr steering fluid

Pwr steering on the hondas are unique as you all know. So any additives would right about kill your pump and your rack. You might think it would not for a while and while could be a year or more, but its killin it.

See what the reason might be and go along with it.

You can get pwr steering fluid designed only for hondas/acuras from any autostore. they come in a black bottle and they are clearly marked as made for honda/acura on the top flap near the spout.

Cleaning out the pwr steering system makes a whole lot of difference. you might have to spend about two hours to get this whole thing done but its worth it. also you might need about two to three bottles and each bottle is about 12oz if my memory serves right.

Blkblurr
02-17-2004, 04:41 AM
Power steering in our cars is mostly for slow speed driving. Since it has a speed sensitive assist, ps nearly disappears at higher speeds. I prefer ps in all my hondas because i don't need to feel the road, so to speak, when I'm parking. Smufguy has a good list of things to do and check.

smufguy
02-17-2004, 07:24 AM
Power steering in our cars is mostly for slow speed driving. Since it has a speed sensitive assist, ps nearly disappears at higher speeds. I prefer ps in all my hondas because i don't need to feel the road, so to speak, when I'm parking. Smufguy has a good list of things to do and check.

I second that. I like having pwr steering. But i hate those on the older caddies. God damn were hey smooth as butter and hella annoying. ANyways, IMO, our cars are bitch to turn without PS, that cast iron block weights a MOFO ton. WHen my car died on the highway (when i had a carb) i could not even switch lanes without the ps and it just wanted to go straight at 50 mph. I love our pwr steering and sometimes i do wish they were like the 4th or the 5th gen. Those two generations have a pretty desirable feedback compared to ours and the 6th and 7th gens.