PDA

View Full Version : amp question

87pimpsterdocious
07-08-2002, 02:12 AM
I'm wondering if you can hook up each coil of a 4 ohm dual voice coil subwoofer to make the impedance on one channel of the amp 2 ohms? Does anyone know if this will work?

The subs are 300 watts rms (150 per voice coil) and the amp i want to use is 300x1@4ohm rms and if i could raise that to 600x1@2ohm rms that would be beautiful. Will it work?

89accordlxi
07-08-2002, 05:47 AM
Yes, if you wire both 4 ohm voice coils to one channel of an amp, it will equal 2 ohms. If your amp is rated at 600w@2ohm then yes it should work fine. However, if your amp is ONLY rated at 300w@4ohm, but you want to try to get more watts by dropping the ohms to 2, there will be problems. Your amp will more than likely overheat and be damaged in the long run.

What kind of amp is it? Is it a mono amp or a two channel amp that you are trying to bridge into mono? Is it capable of running 2ohm loads?

If it is a mono amp capable of 600w@2ohms then everything is fine.
If it is a 2 ch amp then again there might be problems. If you bridge a 2ch amp to run mono, then each channel will only see half of the 2 ohm load. That means each channel will see 1 ohm. If your amp is not able to run 1 ohm per channel then you will experience the same problem as suggested above. Hope this wasn't to confusing..

Let me know what kind of amp you are running so I can give you a more precise answer.

Hope this helps??

Peace out.

pimping89lxi
07-10-2002, 04:19 PM
:bandit:

If you bridge your amp into one channel. Connect your Speakers Parallel and hook them up in series to your Amp! That will reduce the load to 2ohms.

shepherd79
07-11-2002, 10:47 PM
here you go. it is easy to understand it. But make sure your amp will hold the 2Ohm resistance.
http://www.jbl.com/car/SubwooferWiring/sub_wiring_diagram.asp