PDA

View Full Version : my stupid 11mm crane cam wires...

johnwc723
02-16-2004, 10:19 AM
well i went ahead and bought some rather nice looking 11mm crance cam wires and had them installed in my car for about a week following the directions of greasing them etc. i wanted to check my sparkplug and so i pulled on the boot and twisted just like you are supposed to and the freakin connector comes right off! even worse i tried to pull the rubber boot off so i could splice the connector back on and it wouldnt budge at all and then the wire straight up broke! and now of course its too short to reach the spark plugs anymore from the distributor, this is rediclous on wires that are about a week old, im not paying another 30$ for just one wire to get more of these, im gonna call crane cams tonite and see what they do about it, ill keep you all posted :(

A20A1
02-16-2004, 11:56 AM
some wires have a locking connector, I try not to get those.

I bought a custom do it yourself wire set from accel... the first time I installed them 2 of my wires slid off... but after a while you get good at crimping... plus you have a lot of wire to work with. Only trouble is the connectors are only good for about 3 crimps... after that the stress tears the metal.

shepherd79
02-16-2004, 12:55 PM
yeah i had the same problem. well there goes $30+ in the drain.
which wire did you break? i broke cylinder number 2 wire. the rest of them are fine.
my wires are blue color too.

Magny
02-16-2004, 03:59 PM
I am thinkin about getin those 11mm wires, but as for the problem of the connector coming out, you should of taken it off by wiggling it instead of yankin it. had those locking connectors on my 78 camaro, busted one off like you did, got it back on pretty easy, but I wiggled the rest of them to be safe.

johnwc723
02-16-2004, 06:14 PM
yeah i did wiggle it quite alot, i even put some oil type stuff in there and let it soak to try to ease removal, what happened is all the silicone tore and then all there was left was the core. I called them and they said send it in ($3.50) i dunno what they will do as "they dont make those wires anymore" maybe they will give me a comprable 8.5mm wire, i guess i wouldnt mind too much

my furthest cylinder from the distributor broke actually, i also have the blue ones!, if you already bought new wires and are willing to sell me the longest one i would buy it!

eightyfivelude
02-16-2004, 06:57 PM
hey, I'm new to the board but i gotta ask...

What the heck are you guys running to need 11mm wires? That sounds a little overkill to me and seems you guys would be losing performance. There is no way a stock ignition system could push out enough power to justify that. I run a MSD 6AL with a Blaster coil and would go no larger than 9mm wires Personally. If you know any better, let me know. I want to learn more.

Matt

bobafett
02-16-2004, 07:44 PM
where did u get the wires?

johnwc723
02-16-2004, 08:56 PM
http://www.optauto.com
umm i dunno have a MSD coil, thicker wires cant result in loss of performance, there is always less resistance, any ways they look cool and were reletively cheap ~$30

Magny
02-16-2004, 09:25 PM
hey johnwc723 which one is it for my 86 accord lx, I don't see it, unless its the lude

johnwc723
02-16-2004, 09:28 PM
it is the lude one, we got the same engine for the most part i think, well whatever it fit, its a tight fit tho!

Magny
02-18-2004, 09:36 AM
I found a universal fitment spark plug wires, but the problem is, I don't know if our cars need the RFI (radio interfearance) suppression or not. the wires are from taylor. although they are out of stock now, i wanna pre-order a set, but I don't know if I need the suppression wires or not. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

TINBOAT
02-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Shouldnt be a problem...there is a supressor hooked into the ignition circuit already, right beside the coil on the right inner fender.

johnwc723
02-18-2004, 10:30 AM
i got the freakin 11mm crane cam ones that people were complaining aobut hardcore with noise and i dint have a problem! just make sure you keep on that RFI filter on next to the ignition coil (it looks like a computer chip kinda)

Magny
02-18-2004, 10:31 AM
that little black piece of crap thing thats next to where the coil is??? LOL damn I thought that was for something else, thank god I didn't remove it yet LOL almost did.

smufguy
02-18-2004, 10:42 AM
that little black piece of crap thing thats next to where the coil is??? LOL damn I thought that was for something else, thank god I didn't remove it yet LOL almost did.

heheh its technically called Radio Condensor my friend. according to the shop manual removal of it using the stock ignition coil, would result in non firing of cylinders.

Magny
02-18-2004, 10:45 AM
I aint using the stock coil no more, I got the accel super coil on. so does that mean I can take it off???

smufguy
02-18-2004, 10:48 AM
I aint using the stock coil no more, I got the accel super coil on. so does that mean I can take it off???

You might be able to cuz the aftermarket coils like MSD and the one you got should have an internal one. BUt do ask guys like Starter and Mike (A20A1) for further peace of mind. :cheers:

1988starter
02-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Keep it on

shepherd79
02-18-2004, 06:20 PM
when i got my crane wires i did nottice some engine noise in my electrical system. after replacing crane wires with NGK wires the noise went away.
so yes, you do need wires with noise suppression.

Magny
02-18-2004, 06:27 PM
did you have that radio chippie thing still installed or did you remove those when you had the crane wires???