PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Hyperblinker *56k beware*

Magny
02-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Alright guys, I got my boxes and tape in. Whoever would like to have adjustable hyperblinkers can get it done by me. I have over 10 years pf sodering experience. So when you ship your relay to me, I work on it and send it out the same day (unless the store is out of parts, then I go hunting for them. Radioshack holds a limited supply.). So in return, your down time of a blinker relay is verry little. If you want to get it done on another car, I can do those too. I cannot do any relays with metal casings cause they will not go back together the right way.

I have had my relay with this mod for over 2 yars and it has not failed me one nor blow one of my bulbs either. If you want to buy a hyperblinker relay from another company, I can tell you right now, it wont be adjustable, plus they will charge you over $60-$70 for their product. My pricing for this will only be $20. What it covers is the parts required for it and shipping it out back to you. You will save over 60-75% by me doing this easy-to-do modification.

If you want to do this yourself, you can. It will cost you around $5-$10. Just make sure you have a soldering iron, solder, 2 4" wires, and a 100k linear potentiometer. But you have to know what resistor to take off. There are so many of them out there. I know of 3 different types.

This is what the finished product looks like.

http://www.andrews.edu/~johnsonm/howto/hyperblinker/finished.jpg

PM me if you would like to get my address if you are interested on getting yours worked on.

NXRacer
02-16-2004, 02:40 PM
that looks really good. Do you have a schematic of what needs to be done? I have a few pots laying around and all the stuff needed to do it. I have a little cicuit knowledge so i'm pretty confident i could do it.

I'd be tempted to remotely wire it in so i could put the pot on in the dash or something instead of it being way down in the fuse box.

Magny
02-16-2004, 03:05 PM
yeah, here they are:

First one:
http://www.andrews.edu/~johnsonm/howto/hyperblinker/style1.jpg

Second one:
http://www.andrews.edu/~johnsonm/howto/hyperblinker/style2.jpg
#4 is the one you need to take out.

As for the third one, I drew it out:
http://www.andrews.edu/~johnsonm/howto/hyperblinker/brelay.jpg
Its the resistor on the top, they vary by colors.

NXRacer
02-16-2004, 03:10 PM
so you remove that resistor and wire in leads to the POT. Looks pretty easy. thanks for the pictures man.

Magny
02-16-2004, 03:23 PM
yeah just remove the resistor, stick in the wires, solder it and attach the other end to the pot and solder it there too.

anytime

HondaBoy
02-16-2004, 04:11 PM
thats cool. is it better than the ones they have on some online sites. is it eurolite that makes em? anyway, since you seem to know about those resistors, do you know about wiring up LEDs to the A/C controls and gauges? i've wanted to buy the stuff and do it myself but i dont know how to do it for a 12volt system. radioshack couldnt tell me which ones go together, i have the little resistor conversion table thingy.

Magny
02-16-2004, 04:18 PM
on your resistor conversion table chart, it should you the formula.

lets just say for one light bulb, you need 5 2.2v led's, then you wont need a resistor. anything past that you need a certain resistance to prevent the system from getting shorted of electrical supply, more like a capacitor of some sort. if you go to the auto store and you see one of those led light bulb things, you will see that there are 2 resistors or capacitors (not sure which one it is) and about 7 leds on that bulb unit. I am currently planning to make an led brake light, but I don't have what you have (the conversion chart), to know the actual right and wrong of resistors and capacitors.

HondaBoy
02-16-2004, 04:24 PM
heres LED 3rd brake light i made, but it was prewired. i just too it apart and resoldered it. works great!
went from this
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/347000-347999/347392_53.jpg
to this
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/347000-347999/347392_68.jpg
i didnt have to modify the circuit because it had the correct resistors in it.

Magny
02-16-2004, 04:26 PM
hey there ya go, you can use the schematics from that for your tails. both the third and tails are the same voltage so it should be a breeze for ya now.

HostileJava
02-17-2004, 06:01 AM
Just outta curiousity what is the range of that POT?

HostileJava
02-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Bump! :D

Magny
02-18-2004, 09:38 AM
......100k linear potentiometer.

You only have to look for this one, since it is adjustable it probably might be from 20-100, not fully sure.

HostileJava
02-19-2004, 06:51 AM
You only have to look for this one, since it is adjustable it probably might be from 20-100, not fully sure.

Thanx for the repost I can't believe I missed that.

88 Accord DX
02-19-2004, 09:16 AM
how much Horsepower does the hyperblinker add?

HostileJava
02-19-2004, 09:46 AM
how much Horsepower does the hyperblinker add?

10.23343whp

Magny
02-19-2004, 04:25 PM
............ya know, that wasn't really necessary. it is not a rice mod if that is what you are thinking. it something that makes your car stand out from the others. personally I don't like what it does with regular light bulbs, cosidering that they look like they stay on just about. I am planning on making a led bar to fit inside the housing so it can flash instead of fading. I just need to save up money for the led's and all the other stuff I need for it. I'm also gonna be doing the corners and bumper too.

DBMaster
02-20-2004, 08:57 AM
I have an interesting question. I have seen these "ballast resistors" for sale on the sites that sell LED's to replace automotive bulbs. Apparently, the much lower resistance of LED's v. bulbs "fools" the flasher into "thinking" a bulb is burned out and gives you hyper flashing whether you want it or not.

As a twist on your mod, could you add a pot with greater resistance, or replace the resistor with one of a higher value to return the flash rate to normal once you have changed out bulbs for LED's. There are easily obtainable LED assemblies that replace 1156, 1157, and 194 bulbs.

Just wondering. Thanks.

Magny
02-20-2004, 05:55 PM
the 20-100k linear potentiometer will make it go ultra slow, just enough to get to the led range, so either way thats why its called the adjustable hyperblinker. so since the relay gets confused because of the lower resistance on the led's you can adjust it to correct the flashing speed. At 20k it puts alot of resistance on the rate of speed and cause it to blink the reg. bulb at like 30 blinks a minute just about, when you crank it up to 100k it flashes the bulb to the point of staying on. so with the led lights it will still work within the range that the potentiometer has.

DBMaster
02-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Good to know. I have looked at those LED replacements and thought they might be cool to try.

Thanks for the answer!

Magny
02-20-2004, 06:08 PM
hey no problem, just forgot to make almost all of the details straight foward thats all.