PDA

View Full Version : PS fluid???

Magny
02-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Hey guys, I saw the how to on the PS unit, I don't have mine connected (belt) and have been wanting to remove the pump itself. But the problem is, I'm afraid if I drain it like it says, I will ruin my steering linkage or wherever the fluid goes. I'm also afraid of it locking up on me. Will it lock up??? Or what will it do???

Magny
02-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Comeon people, you look but you don't say nothing. Are you trying to say that you don't want to help me on this, or are you not sure about this or what??? someone has to have an insight on this.

smufguy
02-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Comeon people, you look but you don't say nothing. Are you trying to say that you don't want to help me on this, or are you not sure about this or what??? someone has to have an insight on this.

easy there tiger, you only waited an hour.:D

First of all, lemme ask you why you wanna remove the steering column? Power increase reasons? leaking system and not bothered to fix it? Just makes your engine bay look cluttered?

Well removing your pwr steering unit is all good and dandy, but yea, your gears will wear out due to improper lubrication. The fluid is circulated so that it can carry the debris and dirt from gears in the pump and the rack and deposit em in the resevoir thats one reason you have the inlet lower than the exit on the pwr steering resevoir.

Anway, i would say the best and right way to do so is find a 3g with no pwr steering stock, and remove its steering rack. Its a pain in the ass thing to do, but thats the right way to do. A lot of people have just crimpped off the end after snipping their pwr steering lines and kept the pwr steering rack.

Im not a fan of that kinda jobs and since i dont belive in that i dont recommend it to you. It might have worked for them a month and it could have worked for them for 5 years. it does not matter, it matters that its not your car, its theirs and it might not work for you despite we all have the same car.

SO yeah, to sum it up, its pointless to remove the pwr steering system and if you badly wanna do it. get hold of a non pwr steering rack from a 3g and replace it the right way. :cheers:

Magny
02-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Is there a way where I can just leave the hoses and the resivor, and just take out the pump. the pump is annoying me, but the fluid resivor isn't. with the resivor and the fluid still in it, at least I know its getting lubricated. but Im worried mainly about the part where the hoses go into and out of the pump. do I have to jurry rig these thing to complete the loop and not have it leak, or is there another way.

smufguy
02-16-2004, 04:43 PM
:bandit:
Is there a way where I can just leave the hoses and the resivor, and just take out the pump. the pump is annoying me, but the fluid resivor isn't. with the resivor and the fluid still in it, at least I know its getting lubricated. but Im worried mainly about the part where the hoses go into and out of the pump. do I have to jurry rig these thing to complete the loop and not have it leak, or is there another way.

the key word is the PUMP. if its not there , ur not lubricating. it does not matter if u have fluid in the hoses or in the resevoir or the loop is completed with the inlet and exit hoses at the pump are connected. IF the pump aint spinnin or not there, u aint getting anything lubed straight up.

think of it like this. You have 4qts of oil in ur oil pan and u take out the oil pump. Do u get ur engine lubricated? No right?

Magny
02-16-2004, 04:49 PM
hmm, just thinkin of that. for the past 2 years I didn't have the belt on, and since the fluid isn't moving and lubricating my steering linkage, that may be the cause of my wobble...........or not. hmmm....

I think if I did get the steering linkage from a non-ps accord I could be doin it for a weight reduction just on the linkage alone, lol cool, I might take consideration of that. But for now im gonna try and do that link and removal of the pump. never had a problem with the fluid not noving for the last 2 years, but then again I constantly am turning the steering here where I live anyways cause no one here knows how to friggin drive LOL.

smufguy
02-16-2004, 04:56 PM
heheh im on ur side with everyone else being bad drivers :D

WEight reduction is more like 2 - 3 lbs max. the pwr steering rack is not different in weight from a non-pwr steering rack. Anway, i have never come across a 3g with no pwr steering. you can get custom steering gears from a race catalogue and use it instead of your stock one, but you need to have arms like Popyee to turn ur front engine car with that kinda custom steering gear, cuz all it is a circular gear mounted on top of a flat gear which is pushed left or right as the circular one turns clockwise or counterclockwise.

Magny
02-16-2004, 05:36 PM
man, i probably wouldn't have to worry about that part, i get a workout with the setup i have now without the PS

shepherd79
02-16-2004, 06:07 PM
not having PS can be the cause of your wooble. without PS the steering parts wear out a lot faster. so you are looking replacing tie rods if you are lucky, but it can ve worse.
when i took removed my PS belt i didn't feel any power gains at all.
if you want manual steering you will have to find manual steering rack. they were available in canada. i have never seen them in the US.

Magny
02-16-2004, 06:16 PM
nah, the wobble only happens under heavy braking, light braking doesn't have the slightest wobble. I had my 98 civic for about 4 years without the PS belt attached and it never did anything at all for wobble neither having to replace anything except the oil and filter at its regular intervals. I even replaced the PS fuild knowing that it isnt being really moved. but when I changed the PS fluid, I did what the instructions say to remove the fluid and refill the fluid to take out all the air.

shepherd79
02-17-2004, 04:48 AM
if you have wobble when you brake, you need to replace the rotors. and check the calipers. sometimes they get stuck and will cause the rotor to bind up.

smufguy
02-17-2004, 07:16 AM
nah, the wobble only happens under heavy braking, light braking doesn't have the slightest wobble. I had my 98 civic for about 4 years without the PS belt attached and it never did anything at all for wobble neither having to replace anything except the oil and filter at its regular intervals. I even replaced the PS fuild knowing that it isnt being really moved. but when I changed the PS fluid, I did what the instructions say to remove the fluid and refill the fluid to take out all the air.

you dont have to worry about the air in the ps steering system, they always bubble up to the top.