PDA

View Full Version : Help: Didn't pass emissions

ahayford
02-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Alright here is the deal. I just bought at 89 Accord DX. It's not in the greatest condition, but it will get me to work and back. I went to go get the emissions done today and I failed HC and CO. My HC was 236 when it should be around 35 and my CO was 5.63 when it should be around .15. I don't know what to do. I think I need to replace my O2 sensor, but don't know a whole lot about cars. I see where it goes into the exhaust manifold but the other end is just dangling, and I don't know where it plugs into.

I'm not big into modding my car, but would like it to run smooth and look nice. Getting it to pass emissions is my first piece of business, but I am interested in doing more. Please help.

accordlxi2.0
02-16-2004, 07:44 PM
look for a white long connector the wire is black look in the area where the power steering pump and resovoir would be.
welcome to the club.

ahayford
02-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Does anyone know if it is in the manuals?

accordlxi2.0
02-16-2004, 07:58 PM
if what's in the manual's, the o2 sensor?

ahayford
02-16-2004, 08:00 PM
A diagram of the were the 02 sensor goes. I just went out and looked and I can't see anything. Do you think this will have an effect on emissions?

pimp86LX
02-16-2004, 08:06 PM
also check timing, i failed with my 86 lx because the timing was WAYYY off. After i returned it back to normal i passed with flying colours.

blazin3gen
02-16-2004, 08:13 PM
also check timing, i failed with my 86 lx because the timing was WAYYY off. After i returned it back to normal i passed with flying colours.

ditto! thats why mine failed

ahayford
02-16-2004, 08:14 PM
how do I change the timing?

pimp86LX
02-16-2004, 08:17 PM
pick up a shop manual it has detailed instructions. or...search around this site. Just remember to unhook and plug the vacum advance lines from your dist. otherwise it wont be accurate. I think thats what the previous owner did to my car. The light showed it was ok with the lines on but way off when they were disconnected and pluged.

ahayford
02-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Just remember to unhook and plug the vacum advance lines from your dist. otherwise it wont be accurate. I think thats what the previous owner did to my car. The light showed it was ok with the lines on but way off when they were disconnected and pluged.

Don't laugh, but that is way over my head.

accordlxi2.0
02-16-2004, 08:23 PM
loosen the two bolt's plug vac line #2 idle should go down a little (do this while engine is warmed)
as u turn the cap counter clockwise the idle should increase, when you turn it clockwise it should go down.
now what i do to help me, is the visible bolt should be in the middle or a little lower, . . .
when @ idle does the engine make popping noise.

pimp86LX
02-16-2004, 08:26 PM
if its beyond you, i suggest finding a local mechanic thats not too busy, $50 and he'd probably do it for you.

you could however pay $20 for the shop manual and just take a stab at it. Its nothing you can't do with everyday tools and a little reading. The trick to working on cars (especially for newbies) its too just try things. it wont bite you or blow up or anything. Just have a fire extinguisher handy ;)

ahayford
02-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks I'll do that. I noticed that there have been mentions of someone having the manual online? Can someone tell where the o2 sensor plugs in. I can't seem to find it.

Blkblurr
02-17-2004, 04:46 AM
Mine failed CO because my Oxygen sensors were bad. HC may be corrected when you fix the Oxy sensor as well.

smufguy
02-17-2004, 08:15 AM
okay, this is what u need to do before you go to ur next emissions. This is coming from a guy who went three times and passed the third time.

1. New spark plugs (Bosch Platinum, regular $1.99 from Autozone)
2. New cap and rotor ($15, AUtozone, Nopi)
3. New Oxygen sensor ( U need only one since ur a carb, $ 12, Autozone)
4. Change primary and secondary fuel filters
5. Get a can of Gauranteed to pass emissions bottle ($7 from Pepboys, Autozone)
6. Get two bottles of STP Gas treatment (red Bottle) ($0.95 ech, Walmart)
7. Get Motoflush ($1.99, Pepboys)
8. Change your oil
9. Pour in a 4-cyl forumla of Engine Restorer ($4.99, Walmart)

Why they are needed

1. New spark plugs ensure good spark for full combustion and good flame propogation for complese usage of gasoline

2. New cap and rotor ensure u get good voltage to ur spark plugs from ur Ignition coil

3. New Oxygen sensor is much more acurate in detecting if ur running lean or rich compared to ur carbon coverd old one

4. Changing ur fuel filers are maintance and ensure good filtration and good flow

5. This gauranteed to pass emisson does work and its basically an engine internals cleaner that cleans off carbon and dirt build up on the valves and combustion chamber and piston head. It lifts and burns them up.

6. STP gas treatment are Methanol and u should use it before u go to inspection. Get these and dump two bottls (12Oz) into your tank and it basically alcohol and reduces ur CO emissions and also takes out fuel line dirt and freeze.

7. Motoflush is a big ass can and its nothing much differnt from Kerosene. This is to clean up ur valve train and ur oil passages to ensure good oil holes and cleans out carbon deposits. U dump it in the Valve cover as u would your Engine oil and then change oil.

8. Changing ur oil should be ur first concern when u get a used car. this ensures ur peace of mind and good motor life

9. Engine restorer goes in after u change ur oil and it basically seals up anything, restores ur compression by better lubrication of ur oil system.

After all this is done, and like mentioned above, get all ur valves adjusted, ignition timing adjusted, valve timing adjusted, ur cab nice and cleaned out. It never hurts to change your coolant if it looks pretty trashy. Engine operating temperature is critical. it tells u a lot about what is going on inside it.

And after doing all this which would take only a day to get all these done, you should pass with no problem. :bandit:

Blkblurr
02-17-2004, 08:48 AM
Don't forget to have your engine operating at normal temps 192 to 195 F when you go. this is the most important step.

rdn
02-17-2004, 11:00 AM
i would add to smuf's tips...

new spark plugs wires and new air filter...and make sure your idle is not too low (0.9 should do it)

it helped me to lower the CO from 5.4 to 0.1

smufguy
02-18-2004, 09:18 AM
i would add to smuf's tips...

new spark plugs wires and new air filter...and make sure your idle is not too low (0.9 should do it)

it helped me to lower the CO from 5.4 to 0.1

dang, thats low. HOw the hell did u do it? Me with just the additives and new spark plugs, i dropped mine down to 0.6% from 5.69%.

Blkblurr
02-18-2004, 10:19 AM
When the reading are that low it's most likely the difference in how each tester is calibrated.