PDA

View Full Version : Tall Man in 87 Hatch... QUESTION!!!

Admiral
07-08-2002, 10:41 AM
I bought my 87 Accord DX hatch a few weeks ago and its a cool little car. But im 6'4 and I am starting to feel slightly cramped. Is there a way to find/buy a new seat that sits lower? I cant wear a hat in the car and when I hit a bump my head hits the roof.:confused: Any suggestions?

Jdub07
07-08-2002, 10:51 AM
I'm 6'3" in a 86 hatchback and have plenty of room! I don't even have the seat all the way back and my seats are stock. I have always been surprised on the leg and head room in the hatchback.

88LXiHB
07-08-2002, 10:57 AM
Im 6'1", Ind I've got about 5" of headroom, which is plenty for me...

TeKKnoTeKK
07-08-2002, 11:29 AM
not sure man....maybe you can cut a few inches off your legs :p But seriously, in my sedan it seems like the seats are sitting on the ground.....my accord has to be the roomiest vehicle I have ever owned.

accordlx
07-08-2002, 02:30 PM
If your seat doesnt go back far enough for your tastes, maybe a seat swap is the answer. I swapped out the stock seats in my car for a set of seats from a Mazda 626GT. As a result of the placement of the non stock rails, My seats now go back about 3 inches farther than the originals. I can actually put my drivers seat back so far that I can't reach the pedals and Im 6' myself. Of course I cant reach the steering wheel that well either and the radio is totally out of the question. Notice the remote control solved that problem.

http://home.insight.rr.com/mccorvey1/Picture_300.jpg

This picture shows the new seats with about 4 more inches of rearward seat travel availible. This is an advanced solution to your problem but it worked out great for me.

Bassman
07-08-2002, 03:18 PM
My problem is that I'm only six feet tall, but it's all torso. Six foot tall, but my inseam is only 30 inches. So I have to push the seat almost all the way forward to reach the pedals, then lay the seatback waaaay back to not smash my head into the roof. Once configured, I have plenty of room (though my head still brushes the ceiling) but the seats are still too low and too shallow (from the front of the seat to the back. I can't get any support under my thighs. If I start driving this car all the time, I'm swapping in a set of seats from a 4th gen. That's what I have now, and they are super comfortable. I've driven multiple 1000-mile days in that one.