PDA

View Full Version : Piston landings???

smufguy
02-17-2004, 08:39 AM
What on heavens name is a Piston Landing? Is it the piston guide on the crank that holds the con rod to the crank? How does it look like? I heard someone say that the piston landing is the weakest point of our motor? is it true? Even the guy at my school who has drag raced his I6 CBX for 5 years and built so many engines for his race has no clue what a piston landing is. I need a pic of reference and its technical name.

NXRacer
02-17-2004, 08:43 AM
there is no such thing (that i'm aware of). I think you mean ring landing.

TINBOAT
02-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Piston landing, or as NXracer states (which is the truth) ring landing, is what separates the ring stack on the piston...the landings are machined to an exact tolerance to give the rings proper clearance on the piston so they are free to move (expand/contract). Over time, and depending on use/abuse, the landings do wear, and sometimes they wear to the point where the landing will collapse, and sieze the ring to the piston, or, in some cases, completely fail and break (which can cause all sorts of shit to the engine block).

Best prevention ????
..keep your engine oil changed, do not rev a cold engine, and do not OVERREV your engine.

How's that ?

smufguy
02-18-2004, 09:15 AM
:beat: hmmm...... ring landing ain? ANy pics would be much appriciated, im soo hungry and i just cant think