PDA

View Full Version : nooB starter question

hootymo
02-17-2004, 09:13 AM
anyone know why i dont have to press the clutch to get my 5spd lx-i to start? i thought i was supposed to have to press the clutch for the starter to work, is this something malfunctioning or what?

TINBOAT
02-17-2004, 09:25 AM
There is a safety switch on your clutch pedal, the reason it is there is to prevent the car from lurtching ahead(or backwards if you're in reverse) while trying to start it in gear.
This feature has been on standard transmission cars for decades.

hootymo
02-17-2004, 09:41 AM
so im guessing it doesnt work anymore... where is it located and how do i fix it? because there have been countless times when the car has lurched forward when i have left it in gear, and it is quite dangerous!

NXRacer
02-17-2004, 09:55 AM
both my coupe and my new hatch dont require the clutch to be pressed to start......

hootymo
02-17-2004, 10:31 AM
both my coupe and my new hatch dont require the clutch to be pressed to start......
does anyone know if this is normal or not?

nswst8
02-17-2004, 10:35 AM
I'm thinking someone by passed the saftey switch located on the clutch pedal. Might want to check this out should you become concerned with it.
Hope this helps, LOL
Phil :cheers:

hootymo
02-17-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm thinking someone by passed the saftey switch located on the clutch pedal. Might want to check this out should you become concerned with it.
Hope this helps, LOL
so does anyone know where this switch is located so i can tackle the problem? thanks

johnwc723
02-17-2004, 10:52 AM
im not positive but im pretty sure its right up where the clutch cable connects to the petal stick your head up there with a flashlight and i bet you will see it (you might have to get a little dirty tho!)

Vinny
02-17-2004, 11:08 AM
I have yet to see a 3rd gen (86-88)that won't start unless you push the clutch in and I've owned 4 of them. I have 2 88 accords right now and they both start with the clutch in or out. The 87 DX hatch same thing. The clutch switch works the cruise cut off but doesn't go to the starting circuit. I've even tried 3 or 4 switches from the yard and still the same effect. Look in the manual, Pauls(it doesn't) or the actual US Shop manual(I know the 88 for sure doesn't) and the only relay shown for the starter is on the automatics. Even in the trouble shooting guide it tells you if the car won't start "look for an open between the ignition switch and the starter. On cars with automatic transmissions check the shift lever position console switch and connectors" The only reference you will find on the clutch switch in the accord shop manual is in the cruise control section. I'd be willing to bet anyone who learned how to drive a stick on anything other than a 3rd gen automatically pushes the clutch in to start it out of habit. I know I do. But no theres nothing wrong with your car, don't go off on a wild goose chase

PLEASE stop mis-informing people

TINBOAT
02-17-2004, 12:09 PM
1989 HONDA ACCORD owners manual, page 56.
Before Starting
Manual Transmission:
1. Apply parking brake.
2. Push the clutch pedal all the way in (see NOTE below)
3. Shift the transmission into neutral.

NOTE:
On cars equipped with manual transmissions, the engine will not crank unless the clutch pedal is fully depressed.

...nuff said.

nswst8
02-17-2004, 12:13 PM
Nuf said,
Thanks Tinboat.

Dennis
02-17-2004, 12:25 PM
in my kia you had to hold the clutch down, dont have a manual honda though. :(

Vinny
02-17-2004, 12:27 PM
I think we should start a survey on this one. I know for a fact out of 4 86-88 accords I've owned I've never had to use the clutch to start them and I know for a fact the Honda service manual refrences NO wires in the starting circuit except on the automatics. I also know for a fact that the 88's only have 2 wires goin to the clutch switch, ones pink ones black and they both go to the cruise circuit (that's the only way to get continuity through a switch). Maybe the 89's had a 2 additional wires at the switch and the other 2 went to the starter but the 86-88's didn't. In the case that started this thread its an 88 so no there isn't a problem with his car

so as tin and nswst8 would say........NUFF SAID

Mac
02-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Yep I agree with Vinny. My 88 will start without pushing the clutch in. The switch on my clutch pedal only disengages the Cruise Control. I've seen other 3G 5 speeds that also start without the clutch being engaged. I'm not sure but the 89 might be differerent from 86 to 88 in this respect. I never started a 89. The only safety switch that I know of in our cars is the nuetral safety switch in the automatics to prevent starting in gear. Believe me I have tried to start my 88 in gear by mistake and scared the hell out of me.

jagojon3
02-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Same here, my clutch disengages the cruise control but I can start my car without it depressed.

Mystic1
02-17-2004, 03:35 PM
I have never owned a vechical that required the clutch to be pressed for starting, but my grandmothers 90 accord (automatic) requires the brake to be pressed for shifting out of park.

goldadition
02-17-2004, 07:51 PM
for my 02 cents. i have a 87 5spd and i have to press the clutch for it start. otherwise it lerches forward. but on my parents accord auto 94, i have to press the brake to change gears.

johnwc723
02-17-2004, 07:55 PM
yeah, my 89 lxi has to press in the clutch to start, maybe ill change that though :) it might be nice to not have to press it

JFreddy
05-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Ok So I've been reading everything in this thread and it still hasnt helped much, but instead of starting a new one I'll just ask in this one. Ok so at the track part of the safety inspection is that your car CANNOT LURCH FORWARD when u start it in gear, it requires one of those safety things where u have to press your clutch in no matter if ur in gear or neutral to start your car. now I don't wanna race my car on the street, I'd way rather race it at the track, so all I gotta do is fix this problem and then get a battery tie down... (which will be hard with my cold air... :sad2: ) so I can pass tech. If anyone knows how to hook up this switch the accord may or may not have could you let me know? or will I have to find a way to rig up my own switch! :rockon:

88Accord-DX
05-19-2005, 11:23 PM
That is called a clutch safety switch. Should be somewhere behind the clutch pedal. You can bypass it, but never done it on our cars.

*edit* If you can understand how this guy is bypassing the switch, then it might help out. Here is the link below. (that is for a motorcyle, should be the same principle though)

http://klr6500.tripod.com/safetyswitch.htm

HaShfIeNd
05-19-2005, 11:52 PM
hmm interesting... i'm pretty sure my gf had an 88 lude that would start with or without the clutch in... heh

TechnoGecko
05-19-2005, 11:57 PM
My 88 Accord Hatchback DX will start with or without the clutch engaged.

88Accord-DX
05-20-2005, 12:05 AM
My 88 Accord Hatchback DX will start with or without the clutch engaged.
My Accord DX will too. My Nissan truck won't . Anyway, don't know why some have one & others don't. Maybe that was something on certain models.

Blkblurr
05-21-2005, 05:44 AM
Is it possible the change was made on the 89 models?

mr eff
05-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Is it possible the change was made on the 89 models?

could be, i have an 89 and it requires the clutch pedal to be fully depressed whether in gear or in neutral to crank.

racerx
05-21-2005, 12:37 PM
I have yet to see a 3rd gen (86-88)that won't start unless you push the clutch in and I've owned 4 of them.
:werd:
my is the same way. in fact, when the motor blew (the first time), i lurched the car onto a trailer simply by letting the starter pull the car up the ramps. :D

Strugglebucket
05-22-2005, 01:37 AM
my '89lx-i doesn't need the clutch depressed to start.

but it was originally an auto trans. when i did the 5-speed swap i found the wiring for the switch was already there, so i hooked it up. it does turn the cruise control off when i press the clutch...