PDA

View Full Version : Rear drum brakes !

ACCORD EX
07-08-2002, 11:46 AM
hello everybody ! it's really not a good week for me ! ( read in the off topic section ! )

anyway , when replacing rear drum brakes do i need to take the hub off , if not , how do i get the shoes out ?? :(

MIKE

POS carb
07-08-2002, 11:50 AM
just take off the rear wheels and make sure the parking brake is not engaged (block the front wheels!! :) ) the drum should slide right off, no need to get a hub puller or anything

ACCORD EX
07-08-2002, 11:57 AM
i did that !! but how do i get the assemble out ! it says in the haynes to remove the 32 mm nut and remove the hub them remove the assembly ???

MIKE

dj99
07-08-2002, 01:30 PM
I read that in Haynes too. Ignore it. You can replace the pads without taking the hub off. You can jimmy all the parts out of there without too much trouble.

DBMaster
07-08-2002, 01:31 PM
While it might be easier to replace the shoes with the hub off, you DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE IT. The honda shop manual indicates that you can slide the whole shoe assembly down after removing the pins and springs that go through the shoes to the brake backing plate.

I have changed mine three times in the life of the car and have never removed the hub.

ACCORD EX
07-09-2002, 10:47 AM
thnx guys ! i did it today ! but it doesn't really stop the car ! and the hand makes 7 clicks !???? how do i tighten it ! ?

thnx

MIKE

dj99
07-09-2002, 11:16 AM
It should be 7-11 clicks. You're done! :D

ACCORD EX
07-10-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by dj99
It should be 7-11 clicks. You're done! :D

but it doesn't really lock up ! ? :rolleyes:

MIKE

dj99
07-10-2002, 01:15 PM
Were your adjusters seized up? Did you adjust them almost too tight to put the drum on and then back them in a bit? You can also adjust them manually from the back. Did you do one brake at a time and not mix up the two adjusters (they are threaded opposite than each other, and if mixed up would never adjust right, I think)? Have you driven in forward and reverse a bunch of times in your driveway or street to automatically adjust them?

That's all I can think of offhand. I hope I helped more than confused! :D

POS carb
07-11-2002, 05:42 AM
when adjusting the drum pads i like to set it as far as possible until i feel the pad make contact then i back off a turn but i still can't lock up lol

DBMaster
07-11-2002, 06:55 AM
I think "Emergency Brake" is really a misnomer for this device. It is more of a "Parking Brake." If you ever have to rely on this alone to stop the car you are hosed. With the two circuit hydraulic system it is very unlikely that your regular brakes will ever fail totally. My original master cylinder went bad while the car was still covered by extended warranty and I drove with half a brake system for about a week so that the dealer would have a loan car available for me. Even then it stopped pretty well.

I used to adjust mine for fewer clicks and all that did was wear out the shoes faster. If the brake keeps the car from rolling on a decent incline it is doing its job and that's about all you canexpect from it.

POS carb
07-11-2002, 05:40 PM
damn, i used to do powerslides in my grandparents' altima, that shit locked up EASY, pisses me off that i can barely stop with my 'emergency' brake

GreenMachine
07-11-2002, 10:41 PM
ya its a pain in the ass to replace the pads without removing the hub but if your not replacing all the hardware ( springs,etc.) then it shouldn't be that bad.:stick: Good luck

pimp86LX
07-11-2002, 10:56 PM
Meh you don't need the wheels to lock to power slide...heh heh just GIve'ER! start your turn and when you break traction whip that sucka up..it'll work :D :D :flipa: :flipa:

POS carb
07-12-2002, 08:11 AM
i know that i just want to know if having such little stopping power in the rear is 'normal'

ACCORD EX
07-13-2002, 10:01 AM
i did the adjusting bolt and it locks up just fine !

i'll post exactly when i get my computer back !
MIKE