PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank sludge

Tha Realist
02-17-2004, 04:36 PM
ive been having trouble with my car stalling.i recently changed the fuel filters.i ripped open the main filter and it was the most hideous sight i ever seen in a filter. it looked like there was a turd in place of the filter element with black mud-like material around it.should i clean the fuel tank completly or is it cool? also will it stop the car from stalling?

Blkblurr
02-17-2004, 05:44 PM
I would try the filter first and then check later to see if it's doing the same thing. If so, clean the tank and all your fuel lines.

TINBOAT
02-18-2004, 04:54 AM
Unfortunately, I have to pull my fuel tank and either clean it or replace it.
My car sat for over a year before I picked it up, and the fuel tank somehow had about 4 gallons of water in it. I drained it, hoping for the best, but the sludge in the tank keeps plugging up the fuel pump pick-up screen, which causes all sorts of symptoms of poor/unreliable performance.
If your fuel filter keeps plugging up, you really have no other choice. The tank has to come out and be cleaned, and if there is rust in it, replace it. (and dont try to mess with magical fuel tank sealers).
Fuel filters are getting wayyy to expensive !!!!

smufguy
02-18-2004, 11:21 AM
if ur tank has rust it in and u can see flakes running all over, well ur done. Either get ur gas tank fixed (which is a waste of money) or just get a new one or a used one that u know is is good.

I got two Carb tanks (one in my car and one in my garage that came off my car) so if u want u can just have it for nothing but the shipping. Instead of throwing it out, i would be much happier to give it to you.

Damn..... this reminds me that i have to swap my efi tank in this spring break.

TINBOAT
02-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks Smuf, but I have another LXi parts car in the back yard. But on a happeir note, I just pulled the pump out of the tank and cleaned the screen again (it was plugged), and pretty much all of the crap is finally gone. Maybe get at it this weekend, since I use the car as a Lab courier at night, but it's running great again.

smufguy
02-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks Smuf, but I have another LXi parts car in the back yard. But on a happeir note, I just pulled the pump out of the tank and cleaned the screen again (it was plugged), and pretty much all of the crap is finally gone. Maybe get at it this weekend, since I use the car as a Lab courier at night, but it's running great again.

who said i was talking to you punk???? :argue: hahahahahaha, just kiddin man. I am glad u got ur stuff sorted

Tha Realist, i was talking to you if u need a spare Carb tank, hit me up.

Dragonfly
02-18-2004, 07:13 PM
iv found a a little rust in my tanks and a few drops of watter in my filter. im using a clear filtter and replacable elements should i be to woried? i got a pick up tube in my gas tank and a high end external fule pump in my trunk

smufguy
02-18-2004, 07:17 PM
iv found a a little rust in my tanks and a few drops of watter in my filter. im using a clear filtter and replacable elements should i be to woried?

What quality of gas are you running, not the octane, but where do u get gas from? Some crappy gas stations do sell cheap gas with high moisture content. Do know that gasoline evaporates and condenses in a closed environment so u could be looking at that.

How do u actually know u got water droplets?. Little rust is alright. Just use a gas tank treatment if ur unsure and fill it up with gas and it should be alright. Nothign to be alarmed unless u get big ass flakes cloggin up ur screen.

Always get good gas from good gas stations like BP, Mobil, Sunoco, Hess or Shell. Those are the places i get gas from i like BP a lot cuz they are basically Amaco gas and they are good as shell and yet their prices are cheap. Mobil on interstates are crazy, but i can get Mobil 93 octane for $1.65 here around my house.