PDA

View Full Version : can your e-brake lock your rear wheels?

POS carb
07-08-2002, 11:46 AM
I know my brakes are not working right, I've tried bleeding and everything but I'm convinced the problems are more elaborate than just a few simple parts, anyway I cannot get my rear brakes to lock up unless i'm turning on a slick surface yanking the brake yet I've driven other cars with rear drums that can lock up no problem, what's the deal, is my car alone in this or is this typical for 3rd gens?

P.S. I'm not trying to lock up just for the sake of locking up, I just need a comparison that anybody can do.

ACCORD EX
07-08-2002, 11:58 AM
what about tightning the brake cable ???
my dad 's car ( peugeot locks up pretty nice ! ;) )

MIKE

RCracer
07-08-2002, 11:58 AM
Mine will lock if you pull the hand brake hard enough!!!
I know what you are asking as the rear drums dont seem to be that efficent with the hand brake.
Some of the other cars I have had you only needed to pull the hand brake on 3-4 notches and the back wheels would be locked.

ACCORD EX
07-08-2002, 12:06 PM
3> 5 clicks on my dad's peugeot ! ! 5 > 7 on our accord ( according to specs ! :D

MIKE

Darkside
07-08-2002, 12:26 PM
Hell Yeah It'll lock em'up I can do PHATT E-brake slides. Ussually in the rain. But it should lock up your tires. Darkside

pimp86LX
07-08-2002, 12:55 PM
my damn ebrake will move the adjusters somehow and make them stay locked...boo!

accordlx
07-08-2002, 02:06 PM
The answer to your question is yes, it should lock up the rear wheels. Does mine? Hecks no. Will it slow the car down if I pull it on the freeway. Yep, just short of lockup. I think this has a lot to do with how glazed the rear drums are and the condition of the brake pads and how much the cable flexes. If you take the drums off and scuff them with 80 grit sandpaper in a circular motion, it will do a lot for your quest to do that world famous e brake skid. Turning the drums will do the same for you. I know my drums are glazed like a donut and need attention. This will also help the overall balance of the braking effort and will ensure shorter stopping distances under normal braking habits.

dosh8er
07-08-2002, 05:02 PM
My 4-Wheel Disc brakes (yes, all of you that dont' have them pine away!) are somewhat of a pain. The rear caliper mechanism is very strange because it encorporates a cable into a hydrallic system. I think Accordlx is right, it's determined by the condition of your rotors. Mine look like $hit, but then again, I'm a poor college student. The adjustment for rear disc is fscked on my car, very stiff, probably because rears don't get the attention fronts do. I think it has something to do with the movement of the arm that pushes the hydrallic piston in and out. That arm is very hard to move by hand on my rears, could be what your problem is. (if you have rear disc) I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do with mine, probably replace those rear arm/lever units. They are way beyond grease and oil. Maybe if i take them apart... we all know where that's headed..

dXsquared
07-08-2002, 08:02 PM
i had to go inside the drum and there is a threaded rod in it and i just pushed the shoes out far and it will lock them up on dry pavement. there is also an adjustment inside on the handle but someone on the old board said to not fuck with it.
Travis

My 89 Accord Lxi
07-14-2002, 05:16 PM
i dont think the e- brake locks up on manuals cuz mine doesnt i acedently left it up one day and didnt notice till my friend told me by the i had already drove abot 6 miles and my moms sentra doesnt lock up its a 5spd also

GreenMachine
07-14-2002, 09:16 PM
I replaced my pads, hardware and the piston and got the drum machined. WOW what a difference, the whole job really didn't cost that much but they deffinetly lock UP NOW ! also the car dodn't dive so much when braking :werd:

GreenMachine
07-14-2002, 09:19 PM
Are your pistons leaking at all !

89lxihb 00lude
07-15-2002, 01:29 PM
before I installed rear discs the ebrake would lock them at at any speed even highway speeds. If would give a loud bark LOL it was great scaring friends with it. Once I installed the discs only time it would lick is when the road is wet.

POS carb
07-15-2002, 03:09 PM
hmm maybe i should get the drums machined or grab some sanding equipment eh

oh another thing i noticed is that if i push the brake pedal it sinks a lot but if i have the e-brake up and i pump the brake twice it doesn't sink all the way :confused:

89lxihb 00lude
07-15-2002, 05:10 PM
you may need to adjust the ebrake lever. It's under that square piece just behind the middle console. LOL I'm so good at explaining stuff. LOL