PDA

View Full Version : Car Computer in 88 accord

BatmanattheNewb
02-18-2004, 04:10 AM
Hi guys,

New to this forum, hang out over at MP3Car.com forums alot. Searched through this site and didn't see any threads where anyone has put a PC into their 3G accords. Well, if you don't know what I am talking about, check my website. I am about 90% complete with my install. Just have to finish the custom face plate, additional power plate (in location of original clock), and panel by passenger side feet. Hell of a good way to monitor your engine, control door locks, GPS, MP3 players, DVD, Internet Access, etc.....

See ya,
Batman

accordlxi2.0
02-18-2004, 05:07 AM
say what, don't wanna jump the gun here. . . . .

BatmanattheNewb
02-18-2004, 06:05 AM
Go ahead, check out the website, Version 1 shows the original fabrication and install. Version 2 shows where I am at now. Hopefully if the weather warms up a little bit, I can finish remainder. Bondo and Fiberglas fumes in the garage with a kerosene heater aren't too fun

Batman

BatmanattheNewb
02-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Here is an update showing the front end software (MediaCar) for my system. Of course, I re-did the skin to my theme.

Here is the Main page:

http://68.77.191.217/MENU_OFF.jpg

And the Audio player page:

http://68.77.191.217/AUDIO_PLAYER_OFF.jpg

See ya,
Batman

rollinhnda88
02-18-2004, 06:49 PM
I checked out your web page and i thought the whole process that you have done is a really neat project... im just curiouse on how you are going to make it monitor your engine ect. like you said

BatmanattheNewb
02-18-2004, 06:57 PM
Program is being developed right now that can take information from various sensors, oil pressure, water temp, etc.. and interface it with the computer. It's easier on the new cars with the OBDII set up. Cable plugs between com or usb port on pc and plugs directly into the OBDII port. Same software as the dealer "code" tools.

Batman

SrvZro
02-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Nice. Do you have it play the Batman theme song when it starts windows?

hehe Would seem to fit ur theme if it does

BatmanattheNewb
02-19-2004, 03:37 AM
Have all versions of the theme song. As a matter of fact it is in my playlist. But takes to long for windows to start iof you make it the start up wave file. Thanks for the response.

Batman

pimp86LX
02-19-2004, 04:51 AM
there was a thread already started showing off your site n' computer. I have a few questions though. how does it perform over rough roads? does the cd-rom, HDD, etcc have any issues with vibration? what about condensation, especially in colder months? i cant' say i read everything on your site, but how did you convert the power? was it dc->ac->dc? that would be easiest, but i would want a dc->dc converter.

peace out

BatmanattheNewb
02-19-2004, 08:07 AM
pimp86LX,

Rough roads no problem. Put about 750 miles a week on my car. Many of the roads here in Ohio need lots of help. Have not had any issue with hard drive or DVD/CD-RW skipping. Condensation is a non-issue. Unless you have a convertible and leave the top down or something, there is no problem? How much condensation due you have in your current head unit or amps? Cold months haven't been a problem for me. We just got past the single digit temps. My car stays in the garage at night. After work, if the car has been sitting out most of the day, it fires up just fine. Some people have said they have an issue where it doesn't boot correctly. But, after they shut it down and bring it back up, everything is fine. I have not experienced this though. As far as power supply - I use a 300w inverter going to a 300w power supply mounted under the passenger seat. There are two schools of thought 1) cost of inverter is cheaper, and if power supply goes bad, you can pick new one up whereever you are. This method requires a button to start the pc. 2) The second method is the DC-DC power supply such as the OPUS. It has a start up circuit and a shut down circuit (triggered off ignition switch) but only has 150w of power. Not a problem if you are running notebook hard drives and cd-roms. Also, the cost of the OPUS is approx $190 US. For that price I decided to stay with the inverter and standard power supply, and have had no problems yet.

Batman

EvilPenciler
02-24-2004, 09:45 PM
you sir have brought wardriving to a new level

Sabz5150
02-24-2004, 10:44 PM
I'd boot off of CompactFlash for the base OS and leave all the other goodies on the drive. Ya can't beat boot-time on a solid state drive. Also use laptop drives since they handle the bumps and shakes better. They also consume less power.

Personally, I'd run Linux on the setup, but to each their own. As for the audio, you know my opinion... DTS over DD any day.

EvilPenciler
02-24-2004, 11:43 PM
I'd run slackware on that biach iwtha dos partion so that I could run all the windows goodies

BatmanattheNewb
02-25-2004, 06:03 AM
Sabz5150,

There is a lot of contrevery over booting with the CF drive. Personally, when using hibernate, it only takes approx 10 to 15 seconds to boot. Shutdown times are 8 to 9 seconds. These times are well within my patience level. As far as notebook drives, you are correct about the power. That would be important to me if I was using the dc-dc power supplies such as the Opus 70w or 150W. But, since I chose to got with the invertor and a regular power supply (300W) power conservation is not an issue. That is also why I chose the full size DVD/CD-RW over the slimline versions. The reason I went with the 3.5' HD over the notebook was: 1) larger capacities (already thinking of getting the 80gig replaced with something bigger as I only have 13gig available) 2) Faster speed (my drive runs at 7200 rpm, compared to the notebook drive which runs at 4400 rpm 3) With people running both setups (notebook vs standard 3.5') there is no noticeable difference in number of drive crashes, or other related problems 4) Cost - I can by an 120gig 7200 rpm HD cheaper than I can buy a 60gig notebook drive 5) Space in my instance is not important. If you were trying to fit the entire setup in a 1 din case, you'd have to go with the notebook drive. 6) Chose XP Pro over Linux just because easier to deal with one format as opposed to two. While lots of people say Linux is more stable, the amount of work (for me) learning the coding issues and getting everything to work correctly is a big negative. All the stuff I want to do is available on the Windows format, where with Linux a lot of stuff still doesn't work. Let alone most software companies are still catering to microsoft.

EvilPenciler,

Thanks for the comment. It's amazing how many unsecured networks there are out there. But, of course, using someones network without permission could get you in a lot of trouble. If you get caught.

See ya,
Batman

EvilPenciler
02-25-2004, 11:54 AM
hehe you should goto polaris and do some wardriving load your carcomp with knoppix man youll get a shit laod of basic encrypted networks nothing specialyou cant get introuble for just looking :D

BatmanattheNewb
02-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Apparently you're familiar with central Ohio. Per your signature, where's your box located?

Batman

EvilPenciler
02-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Reynoldsburg

BatmanattheNewb
02-25-2004, 06:13 PM
Me to. My office is on Slate Ridge.

Batman

zerotap
02-25-2004, 08:17 PM
How much is your basic setup. I dont' know nothing about setting up computers on a car but my roomate sets up networks for a living and I know plenty of people who are software guru's. I think it'd be too cool to go with a computer setup verses gauges. I was wondering what to do with that useless clock space, now I got an idea lol.

BatmanattheNewb
02-25-2004, 09:35 PM
zerotap,

I probably have around $1,200 to $1,300 in the hardware, including all switches, cables, wires, wood for case, carpet, vinyl and everything. Then the software.

Hardware is as follows:

Motherboard $129 MSI K3T-ARU (Raid, USB 2.0)
Video card 149 ATI All In Wonder 8500DV w/Remote Wonder
Sound Card 90 Audigy2zs
Memory 110 1 gig PC2700
processor w/fan 50 AMD XP2000
Monitor 318 Lilliput 7" USB TouchScreen
Network card 39 DLINK PCMCIA
IRDA setup 24 (EBAY)
Data Chute 50 (Ebay) made by Antec
Hard Drive 59 Western Digital 80gig 7200rpm 8m cache
Wireless Mouse/keyboard 20 CompUSA
Headphone / Mic 19 Can't remember brand - used for voice
command system
DVD\CD-RW 48 LiteOn with Nero burning software

It could be done cheaper, but I like the higher end components. Actually getting ready to upgrade processor to XP2700+. Also removing Stereo headunit and putting in a DLINK USB Radio card. Then I will run sound from PC directly to an amp (or two). Volume level will be controlled thru the pc. I use a front end program to controll all my mp3 playback, in a real nice interface. It is called Media Car. It's a freeware program you can find at www.mp3car.com. It is real cool having all your mp3's at your fingertips, Oh, and did I mention (on the performance side) the pc could help control any type of fuel system, or whatever you have in your car (like the systems in Fast and Furious). And you can surf the web / check email where ever there is an open wireless network, or through a cell modem. Let alone if you turn the tv on (built into my ATI Video card). The mind reels at the possibilities.

Batman

zerotap
02-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Not too bad. I'll have to talk with my car stereo guy and a couple of software people I know. Won't be done for a year or two but can't help to start getting info on that. When I do set up the puter I would like to be able to monitor all the cars info that the cpu in the car is monitoring, is that possible ? Also I will be doing some mods and would like to be able to control psi boost when that time comes. When it's time to have it done I know people who can do it for me, computer set ups like that are way beyond me. I just like to know what's going on and how to properly use it.

Sabz5150
02-25-2004, 10:32 PM
6) Chose XP Pro over Linux just because easier to deal with one format as opposed to two. While lots of people say Linux is more stable, the amount of work (for me) learning the coding issues and getting everything to work correctly is a big negative. All the stuff I want to do is available on the Windows format, where with Linux a lot of stuff still doesn't work. Let alone most software companies are still catering to microsoft.

What are you having trouble getting to work under Linux? From your list, I can get everything working without a problem. When it comes to remote access, Windows can't even begin to touch Linux. I can do EVERYTHING from a remote console that I could do sitting at the system itself. There are no coding issues, all the software either comes in binary format, or self-compiling source tarballs. Really really need that specific piece of Windows software? Wine, nuff said.

Software companies aren't needed to make Linux advance. It's a good thing but Linux is by no means dead in the water without them.

A Linux system booting of compactflash with an EXT-3 journaling filesystem takes seconds to boot up, and there is no need for shutdown. Just turn it off. The system's journals take care of all the mess. If you have issues with FSCKing every 25 mounts or so, up the level to say 100. You can use hard drives for all other storage besides the basic OS boot-up needs.

I know you're gonna wardrive with that beast too. Kismet coupled to Festival tears the living crap out of Netstumbler. Plus it has speech. It'll alert you to a network and tell you everything you need to know about it. No having to look at the screen while driving.

BatmanattheNewb
02-26-2004, 03:55 AM
[QUOTE=When I do set up the puter I would like to be able to monitor all the cars info that the cpu in the car is monitoring, is that possible ?[/QUOTE]

zerotap,

Haven't looked into what can be interfaced with our cars yet. Newer models with the OBDII setup can be directly interfaced to the pc from the OBDII connector under the steering wheel area. There are programs already available to monitor the info frpm the car cpu. Some programs are also available for the OBD (original, not sure of exact name) systems. Some of the manufacturers of the diagnostic testing equipment that most garages use, make the software to interface their particular piece of equipment to a pc. Like I said, I've had my system running for a couple of months now, but haven't gotten into the engine management side yet. It is one of the next things on my list.

BatmanattheNewb
02-26-2004, 04:07 AM
Sabz5150,

I agree with you. As I stated in my post the problem is me learning the software. I like the idea of open source code, but have no experience doing any sort of compiling, programming, etc... Besides I have two systems in my house, and one at my office, a laptop, and the car computer, all using Widows XP Pro. I have always felt it was better to stay on one OS platform (for my own sanity), whichever OS that may be. As my office is Windows based and so is our corporate network, I need all the compatibility for our mission critical programs.

As far remote access, I have been a pcAnywhere fan since 1995 or 96. Been through all their upgrades. I really like being able to sit in the house at night and work on the car pc through either my wireless, or 10/100 network.

EvilPenciler
02-26-2004, 06:10 PM
slate ridge ... cool

zerotap
02-27-2004, 01:38 AM
This car computer stuff is cool. I'm gonna need to start researching this some while I learn about the engine on our car this year. I just think it would be too cool to be able to interface with the cars cpu and monitor what the car is monitoring. What would be even better is having a touch screen gui to be able to access all the programs and crap. I'm sure that is in the works in japan but we yanks probly won't hear about it for another 10 years. I hate it when Japan constantly keeps us from having all their goodies for our cars.

BatmanattheNewb
02-27-2004, 04:42 AM
This car computer stuff is cool. I'm gonna need to start researching this some while I learn about the engine on our car this year. I just think it would be too cool to be able to interface with the cars cpu and monitor what the car is monitoring. What would be even better is having a touch screen gui to be able to access all the programs and crap. I'm sure that is in the works in japan but we yanks probly won't hear about it for another 10 years. I hate it when Japan constantly keeps us from having all their goodies for our cars.

zerotap,

Touchscreen interface is already there. My system is touch. I also have a wireless mouse and keyboard in the car, along with my Remote Wonder. With the remote wonder I can change channls (TV), raise or lower volume, control the mouse, right/left click, etc...

All of my programs are accessible by the touch screen. Any of the diagnostics programs would be also. As the touch screen is not program specific.

Batman

zerotap
02-27-2004, 05:08 AM
Batman,

That is totally sweet.

hondasforever
04-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Don't you have any problems with overheating? I mean even if you can keep it cool while your running it, you can still do damage to the components if they are too hot when they are not on. Like if your car is sitting in the sun, it can get pretty hot in there with the green house affect and all. I think it would be awsome to put together a system using laptop components, maybe I'll try it once i'm done with my engine mods. Good luck with it, thats pretty awsome.

BatmanattheNewb
04-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Don't you have any problems with overheating? I mean even if you can keep it cool while your running it, you can still do damage to the components if they are too hot when they are not on. Like if your car is sitting in the sun, it can get pretty hot in there with the green house affect and all. I think it would be awsome to put together a system using laptop components, maybe I'll try it once i'm done with my engine mods. Good luck with it, thats pretty awsome.

hondasforever,

Been running this for the last 4 months. Temps normally run 107° to 125°F on the cpu and approx 98° to 107° in the case after running for a couple of hours with the heat on. I am currently running a 120cfm Antec Stealth fan to blow cool air into the case. Using two Nidac 28mm Gamma fans for exhaust. System is quiet, but stays cool. The highest temp I have recorded was 127°F on a 72° day here in Ohio. Once I turn the air on, I am not worried about the heat. As far as the heat in the car after sitting, I'm not too worried. Car does cool down pretty fast and to wait 30 seconds before turning computer on is not a big problem. Besides system is burried in the dash, so not actually in direct sunlight. If all else fails, I'll take the watercooling setup off my house pc and put in the car.

Batman