PDA

View Full Version : timing belt related Q !

ACCORD EX
07-08-2002, 11:52 AM
hi !
i am going toi change my crank and cam shaft oil seal ! so i 'll need to remove teh timing belt !

my first Q ! > what socket size is the cam shaft and the crank shaft sprocket bolt ?? ( in mm please )

how do i get these bolts out ? ( how do i keep the sprocket from not turning while loosening the bolt ! ?

MIKE

Lester Lugnut
07-08-2002, 12:42 PM
All of the 3Gs I've done had a 17mm bolt holding the crank pulley down. Have not had to change the cam seal yet - don't know the cam bolt size off the top of my head.

Some use an air compressor to break the crank bolt loose. Some wedge a screwdriver somewhere in the starter. Some wedge a screw driver down inside the flywheel area where the timing marks are. There's usually a black rubber plug covering this area.
Some connect the socket to a long breaker bar, then bump the starter to break the crank pulley bolt loose with. If you do this, there are 3 things to be aware of before beginning:

a. Knowing for sure which way the engine turns so you position the breaker bar correctly. You wouldn't want to accidentally "tighten" the bolt.
b. Disabling the ignition system so engine won't start while you're doing this.
c. Realize that this technique can make a mess out of the end of the bolt you connect the socket to. You could end up with a hosed up bolt that no socket will now hook up to. This can easily happen 'cuz the socket can slip off the bolt while bumping the starter and screw up the end of the bolt.

I have always made a special tool for loosening the crnak pulley bolt out of wolmonized lumber. I'll normally cut a 2x6 or 2x8 piece about 2ft. to 2.5ft. long, then hold up to the outer edge of one end of the board to the pulley. All of the crank pulleys I've seen have holes interspersed around the circumference. You have to ball park measure the distance between holes, then mark their location on the end of the board being held up to the pulley. You drill holes
where you've marked and slide bolts thru these holes and then into the holes in the pulley.

You'll then use a paddle pit to drill a hole in the center of the board for your extension and 17mm socket to go thru.

It's best to do this with the front of the car on jack stands(not a jack!) and drivers side wheel off. You then slide under, place your board up against the pulley, run 3 or 4 bolts thru the hole you've cut, then connect your extension and socket.

You can now use the board as a "counter" to hold the pulley while you loosen the bolt. Works great for loosening and now you also have a way to tighten things back up when done.

Torque on crank pulley is around 125lbs. It's important to get it REAL snug again, 'cuz if it comes loose you'll have a mess on your hands.

ACCORD EX
07-09-2002, 10:46 AM
thanks for all the details ! :D

MIKE