PDA

View Full Version : mod chips and control modules

mattalica
02-18-2004, 09:02 AM
I was looking thru my jc whitney catalog last night and noticed that JET makes a mod chip for our cars.I think I have to install it and it costs about 250 bucks.My question is, is this worth it?will it really improve my acceleration and overall performance or should I just go w/ the control module which is about the same price.Any info on these products would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Matt

nswst8
02-18-2004, 09:25 AM
So any of you hardcore tuners out there would this be a worth while investment for us novice tuners.
Thanks
Phil :cheers:

smufguy
02-18-2004, 11:17 AM
JET has been making that chip for a long long long time for our cars. You have to send your ECU to them so that they can swap it out. it costs around $300+ despite the price listed for everything.

All that chip does is, advance and retard the ignition timing based on what kinda octane your running. THis has been a waste of money cause u can adjust the ignition timing just by rotating ur distributor.

SO yeah it does what it says it can, but shit, you can do it for $0 and have have ur 10mm socket and ratched and ur timing light handy and ur done.

nswst8
02-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Thats all I needed to know.
Thanks again,
Phil :cheers:

smufguy
02-18-2004, 07:01 PM
:D not a prob, anytime :cheers:

McNick
02-20-2004, 06:51 AM
Stock A20A uses vacuum and centrifugal advance...
But how does this JET-chip can control timing????

smufguy
02-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Well, the ignition timing is what i heard that people say that the Jet chip controls. If i had used em, then i would have known. BUt the usage of this chip is worthless, no one gives a crap about what the fuck it does to our 3g. This is why no one bothers to ask about these anymore cuz they know they are worthless, does nothing to your performance and what not. So yeah, i was suprised myself that someone asked about this chip.

TegraCraze
02-20-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm not 100% how, but when I got my car it was running continously in limp mode. I use the vacuum advance and advance/retard timing manually to properly tune.

PS. The car has been running this way for 4 years.