PDA

View Full Version : polyurethane engine mount inserts

89cordlx
02-18-2004, 11:17 AM
ok, I have been looking to see what I can find but I can't find much. Now I know there aren't eny kits out there, but I was told different insertes from different cars would work. Has anybody looked into this?

PhydeauX
02-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Sean's (www.accordcentral.com) got a new front bracket that lets you replace your front engine mount with a poly-u gm trans mount. Thats the only option you've really got. The 3g mounts arn't really in a nice shape to have poly-u inserts made for them. You might be able to find some that fit the torque-arm (dog bone) and possibly the drivers side. But thats about it unless you are interested in casting your own.

andy

89cordlx
02-18-2004, 06:42 PM
hehe, thanks for the Sean idea. I emailed him asking about it, and if he has thought about looking into making some mounts or anything. I wonder how much that would cost

Rendon LX-i
02-18-2004, 07:27 PM
I was planing on filling mine. just buy the plloy mixture. my friend gonna do it for me. he does that kind of shit.

89cordlx
02-18-2004, 09:57 PM
wow you can your own? where can you but the stuff?

PhydeauX
02-19-2004, 08:28 AM
I did that to the motor mounts in my nova, its very easy to do 100's of web sites show you how. You can buy the stuff from mcmaster-carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/). p/n 8644K11 was the stuff I used, 80 shore and it was under $20 to have it shipped to my door. That was a few years ago the part number my no longer be valid. The have castable resins in several diferent hardnesses. You are going to run into a problem when you try to do it with an accord though. Usually this is done to the circular captive motor mounts. Basicaly a rubber filled metal ring with a hole in the center. These work nice because the metal ring makes a nice mold. The accord doesn't have them. The front mount is a big rubber lump filled with oil, the back is sort of a Y shape with plates on the top and bottom, and the dog bone mounts are pressed in like suspension bushings. The only one that is that ring style is the drivers side mount, this is also the mount that is going to make the least diference.

andy

89cordlx
02-19-2004, 08:15 PM
on that website there is a putty..... and that part number you gave me still works, only $23.51 for a pound of the liquid stuff. I wonder how well the putty would work.

Magny
02-19-2004, 08:38 PM
are you guys just doing this for the bushings??? if your not there is a set of sway bars for front and rear for our cars that comes with the poly-u bushings already.

Rendon LX-i
02-19-2004, 09:11 PM
No this is filling in your motor mounts with polly mixture. it cost like 23 bucks.

Vanilla Sky
04-19-2004, 05:40 PM
have any of you guys done it with these motor mounts... yeah, i know i brought back an old thread, but i can't see in making a new one on the same topic

AccordEpicenter
04-19-2004, 06:56 PM
ok guys i took apart my dogbone mount and top engine mount near the timing belt and they were both destroyed, the dogbone has about a 1/2" of play in it and the top engine mount broke into 3 pieces when i removed it. I bought some 3m Window Weld and filled them up and ill let you know how it goes tomarrow. Basically 3m window weld is a urethane glue... messy as shit but should work very well. Also it seems that the dogbone mount bushing is different for auto and 5 speed... and im still using the auto one from the 5 speed swap

carotman
04-19-2004, 07:00 PM
The rear mount could be filled with eurethane without problem. The driver side mount too. The only mount that is problematic is the front mount. If shean has a bracket to mount a GM trans one, that solves the problem :)

AccordEpicenter
04-19-2004, 07:01 PM
drill a hole in the front mount and inject it with urethane

Vanilla Sky
04-19-2004, 07:30 PM
drill a hole in the front mount and inject it with urethane
that's what i was planning on doin

89cordlx
04-19-2004, 08:28 PM
you guys need to let me know how this goes for you guys. I still haven't even done it. btw Seans front mount comes with urethane bushings.