PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem??

(x_x)
02-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Ok, so my knowledge of engines is sparse to say the least, and i encountered a problem today with my 86 ex-i.

I put the key in the ignition, turned it, and absolutely *nothing* happened. The normal guage lights came on, as did the seat-belt-warning noise, and my headunit and subs, which indicates that it's not my battery.. plus i could turn on the lights and they were as bright as ever.

It's fuel-injected and i just recently had the injectors replaced.

the thing that gets me is that when i turn the key, there's nothing at all.. no turnover, nothing. I'm sure if there was at least a noise of some sort, that might provide some indication as to what the problem was.

Could the starter just be completely dead? Loose connection?

so i'm stumped. I drove the car not more than 5 hours ago, and it started/ran like a dream.

Any suggestions?

oh yeah, i also have a command start.. but i don't see how that could be the problem.. a loose connection would mean that only the command start would not work.. not the key-ignition itself..

Ideas? anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Mac
02-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Is it a auto or 5 speed? If it is an auto, it could be the nuetral safety switch. Either way you should have 12 volts on the big white wire on the starter at all times. The smaller black/white wire should have 12 volts when you turn the key to start. If the voltages are there then there is a good chance the starter solenoid is dead.

bladekid
02-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Mine did this one time and it was the starter ground wire... completely disconnected because of the rust

Could also be starter solenoid I think

(x_x)
02-18-2004, 07:28 PM
right on, thanks for the replies.

Blkblurr
02-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Could be the starter solenoid, The ignition switch, the starter motor or the neutral or park indicator switch which controls the starter solenoid. If you have a voltmeter and a friend, have them try to start the car while you measure voltage at the starter terminals. You should have 12 volts at the positive to frame ground. Check the condition of your wires as mentioned earlier.