PDA

View Full Version : Auto tranny 'clanks' when shifting in or out of reverse.

Poodlehead
02-18-2004, 08:19 PM
I’ve got an 87 DX Hatchback with 70K miles on it. I recently changed the fluid (~5K miles ago) with Honda ATF (supposively the fluid was changed at dealer at recommended intervals before). There is a ‘clank’ kind of noise anytime I shift in or out of reverse while the car is standing still.

The tranny shifts fine, but I’m wondering if this is normal and I’m just more in tune to the ‘clank’ as I keep hearing it or is something coming loose inside that could be fixed a lot easier now than waiting for it to really get trashed out.

Any help/guidance/ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Pat

smufguy
02-18-2004, 09:09 PM
was this "clank" noise present before u gave it to the dealer for a ATF change? its common for those dealership guys to mess things up. My aunt had her 99 camry front brakes changed at the dealership and they put the damn pad the wrong way, as in the backing plate was on the rotor. How messed up was that? So be sure to take it back and ask them to fix whatever it is, if the noise appeared after u got it back from them.

I do not know what that Clank, might be, but it should not be there for a normal tranny. esp one that has been taken care of.

Poodlehead
02-19-2004, 01:43 PM
was this "clank" noise present before u gave it to the dealer for a ATF change?.

I changed the fluid the last time (previouse times were done at the Dealer). I think the noise has always been there and I'm not sure if it's really getting worse or just me listening harder for it. It sort of sounds like the 'clunk' it makes if you take it out of park on a hill without the e-brake on (which I try not to do). It sounds similar to that, but more of a 'clank' kind of noise.
Thanks!

Blkblurr
02-19-2004, 03:29 PM
My SEi did something similar when it was newer that sounds more like a short gear grind than a clank. I took it to several dealers and all said it was normal for Honda trannys. I think I just learned to drive it differntly and it went away mostly.

factorVIII
02-19-2004, 03:33 PM
i also get that noise when shifting from reverse to drive. IMO, i don't think anything's messed up.

87AccordLXsdn
02-19-2004, 05:45 PM
i actually just had my car checked out in school 2day for that same short grinding noise. they told me to take it to a mechanic and have him rip apart the tranny because it was something internal. so to me it was just a long way of saying "get a 5 speed"

sccrsteve5
02-19-2004, 06:03 PM
i get it all the time from park to reverse...it hops when that happens too. sometimes i have to tap the shifter for it to kick to reverse and it crunches/clanks...total bummer

Poodlehead
02-19-2004, 07:38 PM
i get it all the time from park to reverse...it hops when that happens too. sometimes i have to tap the shifter for it to kick to reverse and it crunches/clanks...total bummer

What you are describing sounds like the pin or whatever that holds the car still is in a bind. That happens if you park on a slope without applying the e-brake. IMO that's applying unnecessary pressure on that pin or whatever. I'd suggest using the e-brake to hold the car.

Thanks to all for the feedback. For now I'll just try not to listen too hard and see how it goes, but any other input is mucho appreciated.
Pat

accordlxi2.0
02-19-2004, 08:02 PM
you know what both of mine's did the clunk sound.
when i was cold as hell one day i went to start my car. i put it in park and it was grinding.
it stopped though.
the reverse gear is controlled by a shift fork.
i was told by the dealer that this is normal, and somewhere on line a carsite said the same thing.

oldsub86
02-19-2004, 08:57 PM
I asked this question a year or so ago and someone on the board answered to say it was a problem that Honda used to fix under warranty when the cars were newer. I don't remember the exact nature of the fix but our 88 has done it for the whole time we have owned it and it does not seem to do it any harm. It is quite bad when the car is cold but mostly goes away once it warms up.

oldsub86
02-19-2004, 09:05 PM
I did a search and this is the response I got to the question I posed earlier.

Randy

"Honda Canada recalled the reverse idler gear on our cars. This is usually the problem with AT. However, other guys on the site have other stories to tell. Check out tech forum. By the way, don't freak out just yet; I've known people, incl. myself who have gone many KM. without having to fix it. If you get it fix, see someone who knows 3gen. accords well. The reverse idler gear can be replaced without taking the transmission out. Honda Canada dealerships charge roughly $200 for parts. Originaly, when Honda recalled the AT they paid dealers for 8 hours labor. My mech. got so good at this he was doing them in 4 hours. I don't expect that you will find a mech. to agree on 4 hours labor, but I wouldn't pay 8 hours for this. Beware of used AT. , they're usually f.... , if not now, they will be sooner or later. Whatever you decide, good luck with it."

Poodlehead
02-23-2004, 09:20 AM
I did a search and this is the response I got to the question I posed earlier.

Randy

"Honda Canada recalled the reverse idler gear on our cars. This is usually the problem with AT... I've known people, incl. myself who have gone many KM. without having to fix it. If you get it fix, see someone who knows 3gen. accords well. The reverse idler gear can be replaced without taking the transmission out...

That makes me feel better. I think the older I get, the more paranoid I get about sounds. I'll probably just turn up the radio for now... :) I appreciate everyones replies.

Pat

Coitis1
02-23-2004, 10:56 AM
i had trouble w/ my tranny a while back and took my 3g to a shop. The tranny mechanic said that that is normal for honda's w/ auto trannys. He said no damage is being done,but i'm not too sure.

Michael Cote
02-28-2004, 08:26 PM
All automatic Hondas did that especially when shifting from reverse to park or drive at fast idle up to 88. After that the 89's and up were modified so that didn't happen anymore. Little bits of filings do eventually add up in the tranny over time from that. Avoid having to shift from reverse to park or drive while fast idle is on and by backing into driveways and parking spots and shut engine off before putting into park if shutting off anyway. Make sure your fully stopped backing up before shifting to drive. Park and drive are on same shaft so you don't hear it when going from park to drive unless you shift really slow and it catches reverse on the way by. Change fluid every now and then. There is a drain plug on tranny. It gets most of ATF out but not whats in torque-converter. Don't spin your wheels or rock to hard if stuck. These trannys are tough if used properly but are bone china if abused. Good luck, Mike, NS Canada

Brentm
02-28-2004, 10:24 PM
My tranny does the same thing (auto) when its cold out and i shift from reverse to drive sometimes my car kinda lurches/hops.

HondaBoy
02-29-2004, 11:20 AM
my transmission will make a clank noise, i guess you can call it that. im thinking it needs new motors mounts and stuff for mine. i should really get that fixed because it isnt that hard to do!