PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Subs but Less Boom

PortugalFocus
02-19-2004, 07:05 AM
I have a 1200w 4 channel amp and I used to have 2 450w pioneer IMPP's. I recently upgraded to 2 1200w Pyle Drivers with dual coils. I have a 4 port bandpass box. It sounds like the origional 450w subs sound better and louder than the 2 new 1200ers do. The 1200w subs have dual voice coils, I have just 1 of the coils hooked up, could this be an issue that can cause these subs to be more quiet? I have the 4 channel amp bridged to 2 channels.

any suggestions?

NXRacer
02-19-2004, 09:16 AM
get a better box. I'm not super knowledgeable about boxes, but those are shit. You'll need to get your box tuned for the speakers because all speakers need different boxes. Dont just get a generic box for them. They won't work half as good as they would if you had them in a properly tuned enclosure.

pmip
02-19-2004, 09:26 AM
First of all, imo upgrading to Pyle from Pioneer is more like downgrading if you're looking for sound quality. Pioneers are pretty good SQ drivers, and are great for the price while Pyle is not. Secondly, bandpass boxes are usually very sloppy and imprecise sounding (they can sound good but they need to be made specifically for your sub [which includes LOTS and LOTS of calculations and are hard to make], and for what you want out of it, the pre-fab ones aren't very good). Thirdly, you need to connect both voice coils. Depending on the ohms your amp can handle and the resistence of your voice coils, you can wire it in a series, parallel, or one voice coil per channel on the amp. Now I did read another of your posts stating that you think legacy and Pyle are good, so if you do want to keep the Pyle drivers, there are a couple things you can do to make it sound better. First of all, download winisd or boxplot (free versions) and put in the paramaters of your sub. Then decide how spl or sq oriented you want it to sound, play around with the programs a little bit untill you find something you like, then build that box. While I personally don't like the sound of Pyle subs, in a good install and a correctly built box they could sound pretty good.

MrBen
02-19-2004, 10:08 AM
You need to have both coils hooked up.

shepherd79
02-19-2004, 10:59 AM
wire each sub like this http://www.jbl.com/car/support/SubwooferWiring/1-4-2.asp and connect them to your amp.
what kind amp do you have? brand name and model.

PortugalFocus
02-19-2004, 12:00 PM
American Legacy 1200w LA1090 is the type of amp I have...... 4 channel

Moodybluesr
02-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Using only one voice coil on a DVC sub is one of the surest ways to blow a sub up. How the subs should be hooked up depends on the impedence of the voice coils and the design of the amp you are using to drive it. You need more information for us to be able to tell you how to setup your subs.

k-roy
02-19-2004, 12:01 PM
American Legacy 1200w LA1090 is the type of amp I have...... 4 channel
Whew, get a better amp.

PortugalFocus
02-19-2004, 12:10 PM
I'ma try the amp channel 1 + to the positive to sub 1 positive (coil 1) and channel 2 - to sub 1 neg (coil 2) then + and - togather on coil 1 & 2 and the same for sub 2 and channels 3 & 4... that should work.

I might also goto a sealed box also.

What would sound better? 2 separate boxes or a larger box for both subs?

dXsquared
02-19-2004, 12:30 PM
there are SOOOO many people like you at my school... using a 4 channel amp for subs powering 1 VC on a DVC sub and puttin them in a cheapo bandpass box... they think there systems are the shit, when in all reality, they are Shit!! i bet you are runnin 10 gauge power wire too?? 18 gauge speaker wire to the one coil???

Travis

dXsquared
02-19-2004, 12:32 PM
what you need is a good 2 channel amp that can handle 2 ohm stereo loads... about 300 watts RMS out of each channel would be good.. then build a sealed box that is spec'd to your subs... you should always split your multi sub boxes with a baffle... then the subs work independantly and sound best...

Travis

PortugalFocus
02-19-2004, 12:56 PM
there are SOOOO many people like you at my school... using a 4 channel amp for subs powering 1 VC on a DVC sub and puttin them in a cheapo bandpass box... they think there systems are the shit, when in all reality, they are Shit!! i bet you are runnin 10 gauge power wire too?? 18 gauge speaker wire to the one coil???

Travis

Don't talk to me like that.... I've been doing stereo's for quite sometime, either be constructive or piss off.......

PortugalFocus
02-19-2004, 01:08 PM
I run 14g to the subs and 4g to power... I have a 2g ground all RF products ........ I know how to do this.......

I have my own stereo shop, which is more than you can say, and while you live at home with mommy and daddy paying bills for you, I am married, own 3 rental properties, a home of my own, I have a batcholr's in Computer Networking and Administration and have 2 cars both less than 4 years on them. I've been doing stereos for over 4 years now and you critisize me for asking a few questions? Grow up try to graduate high school and learn something. Oh yeah and Im only 20. Try to accomplish that. You caught me on a VERY bad day......

dXsquared
02-19-2004, 01:11 PM
lol.. i told you that your system sucks and you tell me that your sucsessful?? who the fuck cares and how does that relate??

you have a stereo shop, but your coming on here to get advice on how to get your 30 dollar POS subs and 75 dollar amp to perform? i thot it was your friend that had the stereo shop??

lots of things arent lining up here...

and you can do stereo's for 20 years, but if you dont do them right, (like your setup) then it really doesnt count...

Travis

PortugalFocus
02-19-2004, 01:31 PM
I own it.... I never said that someone else did........ christ I wish I could buy those subs for 30 and 75 for that amp.....

the only thing that doesnt line up is you... either give advice or get out

pearldrop
02-19-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm sorry, but if you spend four years of your life struggling to earn your college degree, you should damn well know how to spell it.
B-a-c-h-e-l-o-r-s.

That is like not being able to spell your own name.

dXsquared
02-19-2004, 01:51 PM
he doesnt have anything from college..
he just said he's 20... so if he graduated at 17, got into college RIGHT away, he would still only have 3 years in, but he's got a stereo shop, and he owns 3 rental properties and a home of his own... man.. thats quite an accopmlishment for someone thats still in school

i bet he's just some phony kid on the net tryin to look cool

Travis

Bryan
02-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Dude.....if you own your own shop then why the hell are you posting here? If you own your own shop then you should have alot better shit in your car. If you own your own shop give us some fricken tips. If you own your own shop like you say...and you own three properties.....ummm where do you find the time to balance all that?

Seriously don't lie.

shepherd79
02-19-2004, 06:02 PM
ok, i think you all need to cool down. eather answer the questions he posted in the begining, or don't post in this thread at all.

TJ89Accord
02-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Hey I'm not gonna get into the arguement, but for lots of info, check out www.the12volt.com There is lots of stuff there for stereos, alarms, all sorts of car electronics.

tim

AccordEpicenter
02-19-2004, 07:26 PM
whoa you need to upgrade son, pyle and pioneer arent the greatest names in bass. Pretty much all off the shelf ported or bandpass boxes ive heard sucked ass, you should probably custom make yourself one. Also what kind of amp are u using?

PortugalFocus
02-19-2004, 07:32 PM
I got my bachelors in 2.5 years at a technical college. I went all year round.

I can't spell very well or type. I've made that very evident.

I own a car stereo shop yes. I learn every day. The day you stop learning is the day you become stupid.

Rental properties arn't that hard to take care of. You can buy them many times with no money down, if people already live there, the merrier. They pay your mortgage for you. It's not hard at all. Fix what needs to be fixed when they need it and pick up rent once a month. My wife does the accounting.

I don't have to prove to anyone that I have what I say I have. And if you don't beleive me that's ok too. Why would you? Only 4 people on this board have ever met me. I'm not in school anymore. I havnt been for a few months.

I post here to learn, just like everyone else.

PortugalFocus
02-19-2004, 07:33 PM
I like what I have and I'm happy with it.........

Magny
02-19-2004, 08:30 PM

I am so badly with him on this, one coil isnt enough omph when it comes to DVC's, you need to wire them both up, but becarefull tho. there is a certain way you can do these things, but you also need to know if your amp can take it.

TJ89Accord
02-19-2004, 10:56 PM

Yah, my subs had papers in them saying you must hook up both coils or you can ruin the sub. It had a skull and bones, so im guessing they were serious lol.

tim

Hash_man_Se_i
02-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Yup, definately need to have both Voice coild hooked up.

And I am just curious, if you, the owner of this audio shop has this quality of audio equipment, then what on earth do you sell?
Just curious.

PortugalFocus
02-20-2004, 04:50 AM
I did hook up both coils and they sound very good adn much stronger.

I sell alot of car performance products like intakes, exhausts, wheels, body kits and lighting. I sell Head units, speakers, amps, subwoofers, tv's dvd players. All around a bunch of car products.

pimp86LX
02-20-2004, 04:58 AM
ok, im not going to comment on the bickering that has taken place here. One thing i noted was your comment on leanring. Life is not about how much you know its about knowing how to learn effectivly. Anyone who said they know everything about something or they are a boneified expert is a fool trying to posture themselves.

dont teach a man how to fish, teach him how to learn how to fish. then he can hunt and build houses and make 11sec 3g's

So, Mr.Focus since you know this, i say good luck with your shop.

Bryan
02-20-2004, 05:50 AM
For any more help on car audio...... www.sounddomain.com and at the top click on forums. Good luck with it.

PortugalFocus
02-20-2004, 08:08 AM
........Life is not about how much you know its about knowing how to learn effectivly.........

thank you sir..... this is probly the best advice on this thread so far.........

TOoN
03-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Yeah....Pyle's suck ass....Pioneer is for sound quality....if you want bass then you nees to go to Kicker, or JL audio.......also bandpass system aren't all that....it all depense on trunkspace.......you can't have to muck power for your trunk, because you can't forget the air from your trunk is what is producing the bass...so what you need to do first is figure out the amount of power you need to get optimum sound quality out of your car.......................Hope this helps................

AccordArizona89
03-04-2004, 03:08 PM
if i had all that shit i wouldnt by no gay ass focus

jayp6969
03-04-2004, 04:29 PM
yah id get like a sir or rsx or sumthin worth doin up

BensAccordLxi
03-04-2004, 05:08 PM
When did this turn in to " bash the guys ride " post?

MrBen
03-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Because many people on this site are kids and like to display the frequent testosterone outbreaks they do so well.

The problem of his is solved, let the thread die.

PortugalFocus
03-04-2004, 07:15 PM
if i had all that shit i wouldnt by no gay ass focus

What would you buy? a civic? an accord? or let's get really creative... a CRX? everyone and thier mom does a Honda for show. My car was not bought upon it being a "Ford", for show or whatever it was. The car was bought because the price was right it had the features I was looking for and I needed a car almost immediately. The car was still under factory warranty and it was a very clean car. I liked the car's looks and I was and am happy with my purchase.

I asked about a stereo issue, not about "hey, who likes my car?".

Can someone please close this thread?

AccordArizona89
03-04-2004, 08:28 PM
nah keep it open from 11-9 weekdays and 1pm - 6 sat-sun and closed mondays. well u coulda got creative and maybe get an xsi integra,or a protege', or maybe even a PROBE! yay ford!! NOT

MrBen
03-04-2004, 08:42 PM
"1. You will not post any messages that are discriminating, obscene, hateful, threatening, or otherwise in violation of any laws.

2. Fellow Members are to be treated with respect at all times. "

Apparently you forgot how to read.

AccordArizona89
03-04-2004, 08:49 PM
well ghetto seems like im respecting HIM but not his ride. its my opinion fool and i aint bringin hate to nothin and threat... wtf? u really need to get out

MrBen
03-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Threat? What bug do you have up your ass? You were hateful, plain and simple. Jeeze don't take things so seriously and don't attack people personally.

I'm done.

PortugalFocus, sorry to cloud up your thread.

Magny
03-07-2004, 10:08 PM
I finnaly got my 2 10" CVR 4ohm subs in my bandpass and wired up in my car. I took it nice and slow on this installation, just to make sure I didn't pass anything up, plus to let the paint dry on my baseboard to hold the sub in place. I also braced it down with 4 L brackets to keep it from sliding around. Once I started it up, it didn't make a small thump, then I realized that I forgot to adjust the vol. level up on the amp.. BTW my amp is a American Legacy Series 2 LA890 rated at 1200 watts w/4 channels. When I got through adjusting all my presets and passes and all, it hits hell-of-alot harder than my last system that got jacked. I think I may be producing more than 140db, but I'm not sure on it. I wanna get to a competition and find out, but there isn't gonna be one until the summer time in San Francisco here in Cali.. Anyone in the cali area know when there is gonna be a comp. in the Bay Area by like 50 mile radius of Sunnyvale???

copper700
03-15-2004, 04:04 PM
I'd say that i would have to agree with dxsquared cause buddy doesnt know F@#k all!!!!! And his system is Sh!t!!!

POS carb
03-16-2004, 05:58 PM
DVC subs must be hooked up w/ both coils mostly b/c the power ratings on the box is the sum of the 2 coils, if you only hook 1 up you will only be able to feed the sub 1/2 the power safely. Also (but not the main problem) is the dead weight, you may as well have gotten a larger single voicecoil, that way on long excursion there is more voicecoil producing a force inside the magnetic field. Unless your coils are wired one covering the other and are spaced evenly on the whole former, usually 1 coil gets the top half and the other gets the bottom. N/m that's beside the point. The point is for wiring flexibility. If you can do it with SVC subs, do it!

As for bigger subs, less boom, been there done that. It is almost always the box, I have a pair of huge 1200 watt 15's that I cooked trying to get them to bump as loud as my two pussy JBL GT1200s. However, many bassheads have commented that my twelves are damn loud, they just didn't have as much 20-30 hz umph as the 15's did and this is not just b/c of the cone size but b/c of the box. I could just lengthen the ports but I'd loose some of the low bass the current ports produce just for the few songs that actually go that low.

If you build a ported box you should have a high pass filter to the subs at whatever the box it tuned at.
Ex. say you build a ported box tuned to 30 hz, set a crossover at or slightly below 30 hz b/c any notes the subs play below the tuning frequency aren't as loud and the subs are moving A LOT more and this is the quickest way you fry your subs besides running them on a 100 watt amp. Best to build these as close to manufacturer's specs as possible, if you want more street boom, go slightly larger.

Sealed boxes should be stuffed with polyfill. And sealed!!! That means 3/4 or 1" MDF and lots of window sealer silicone and big screws! The average pressure inside is a lot worse in these boxes.

KoNEY
03-30-2004, 10:10 PM
well, actually, i dont run a stereo shop or anything, but i do know that u can run a DVC with just one coil, and it wont hurt a thing, actually wont even make a difference in sound if the other coil is hooked up or not, because the other coil is there for flexibility. and he can just get another amp and a better box and then, like almost all things in life, tune it a lil bit until it sounds the best, trust me, i can take two 12's that are of the cheapest quality, and walk your audiobahns, your alpines, your kickers, and other various well-selling brand names, it just depends on amplifier, box, and tuning, also the acoustics of your car play a huge role in your spl and sq.....so dont let some of these ppl on here get you down, because how do you know that what u have doesnt sound better than theirs do, even though they have way more money in theirs.....

88accordalltheway
03-30-2004, 10:36 PM
I run 14g to the subs and 4g to power... I have a 2g ground all RF products ........ I know how to do this.......

I have my own stereo shop, which is more than you can say, and while you live at home with mommy and daddy paying bills for you, I am married, own 3 rental properties, a home of my own, I have a batcholr's in Computer Networking and Administration and have 2 cars both less than 4 years on them. I've been doing stereos for over 4 years now and you critisize me for asking a few questions? Grow up try to graduate high school and learn something. Oh yeah and Im only 20. Try to accomplish that. You caught me on a VERY bad day......

If this is true then why are you asking us for help about stereo equipment Mr. Smarty Pants?

soljaboy2000
03-30-2004, 11:01 PM
If you have a dual coil subwoofer always hook both coils cuz you can damaged the other. And also you can wire it in more different ways to handle the lowest possible impendence that your amp can handle.

PortugalFocus
03-31-2004, 05:02 AM
.....trust me, i can take two 12's that are of the cheapest quality, and walk your audiobahns, your alpines, your kickers, and other various well-selling brand names, it just depends on amplifier, box, and tuning.........

This is vey true..... it's all about sound properties of your car and how well tuned the box amp and subs are......

can someone please close this thread already?

MrBen
03-31-2004, 08:38 AM
I'll close it. If anyone has anything meaningful to add to the thread, PM me.