PDA

View Full Version : timing retarded 12 degrees

johnwc723
02-20-2004, 11:04 AM
i just checked my timing today and it appears to be retarded 12 degrees!!! (its at about 3 deg and supposed to be 15 +-2) i was having problems finding the third bolt so i wasnt able to fix it yet (is the last one under the distributor on the a20a4 engine) the manual said it was on top but IT ISNT! hmm

what kind of performance/ MPG gains do you think i will get when i "un-retard" my timing

TINBOAT
02-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Once you get it set right, yer gonna notice one hell of a difference !!!...Like about 20% increase in power and fuel economy !!!

BootMachine
02-20-2004, 11:14 AM
if you return your timing to stock you will see smoother engine performance, less fuel consumption and more power on the highway!

Timing does A LOT. MORE than one would think!

The distributor has 3 bolts which hold it to the head. These bolts are in a triangle pattern. Some of the A20 engines have the dist upsidedown. Not really...its a diff dist. but it looks upsidedown!

If you see two bolts on the top there is one on the bottom you are missing. You may need to disconnect one of your coolant hoses to reach it!

TIP...dont take the bolts out...just make them loose...that way the dist wont fall off in one hand with a timing light in the other!

ALSO...if you own a prelude like me....you need to remove the hood to check the timing....CAUSE IT OPENS THE WRONG WAY! (stupid thing)

you cant see the timing hole properly ....

do this on a hot engine...not a cold engine!

Good luck!

TINBOAT
02-20-2004, 11:16 AM
I use a mirror on a telescoping shaft to set timing on the older Preludes...

BootMachine
02-20-2004, 11:22 AM
I use a mirror on a telescoping shaft to set timing on the older Preludes...

how?

One hand on the dist. the other holding the timing light....then your outta hands!

TINBOAT
02-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Just loosten the distributor enough that it will rotate with a fair amount of drag on it, one hand on the mirror, other on the light..advance or retard as needed, then recheck.

johnwc723
02-20-2004, 11:31 AM
cool im really excited about this!! the most effective engine mod in my case looks like it is going to be free!! i hope its not far enough off that i have to mess with the belt though :( !!!!!

BootMachine
02-20-2004, 01:07 PM
You should not have to touch the belt. The belt control VALVE timing. The distributor controls IGNITION timing!

Even though they run off the same cam and if you adjust the valve timing you will adjust your ignition timing....they both control two diff things!

johnwc723
02-20-2004, 03:14 PM
ohh hehe alrighty :) damn i was looking to buy a timing light and there was a $30 actron one.. the wierd part was that it dosent have any sort of knob on it to turn or anything to specify the timing, it dosetn even mention anything in the manual, it only talks about turning the knob (a different model has a knob but costs $60!!) hmmm

Magny
02-20-2004, 07:15 PM
I have that actron one and I have it without the knob and still set my timing right. you don't really need it unless you arent sure where your timing is without moving the dis.. that one with the knob just tells you how far advanced or retarded the timing is.

Volitech
02-20-2004, 11:21 PM
For being 12 degrees retarded your car didn't sound like it was running bad at all I'd be interested in seeing it run again after you adjust that!!

johnwc723
02-21-2004, 12:27 AM
yeah, im not sure how the hell those ones that dont have the adjuster are spposed to work! how does the light know what you are timing the engine for?

cruznz
02-21-2004, 05:36 AM
yeah, im not sure how the hell those ones that dont have the adjuster are spposed to work! how does the light know what you are timing the engine for?

the induction clamp you put on No1 spark plug lead cause's it to flash everytime No1 gets spark from dissy.

One of the best timing lights I've used is digital, it'll read/check RPM,and vacuum advance at the same time as well,but like all good things, cost a few dollars

Magny
02-21-2004, 07:26 AM

All it does is tell you how far your timing is off. I found out when I got it smogged that I was 7 Pos. when I did it myself with the one that isn't with the knob, I put it back at TDC. so the one without iso nly of you want to make it at TDC, the one with the knob is to help you determine how far advanced or retarded you want the timing to be.

johnwc723
02-21-2004, 11:10 AM
ohh so we dont want to put our car at tdc anyways, we want it to be advanced, so it dosent really work then eh?

Magny
02-21-2004, 06:32 PM
yeah, basically. the one with the knob is the best one in my opinion, that way you can get an accurate timing advance or retard with the timing light.