PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coat Rims?

HondaBoy
02-20-2004, 10:57 PM
my friend got his rims powder coated a few weeks ago and i finally got to see them. they are gray with not flake or anything in it, just plain gray. looks good how they did em. not a messy job. and i had been thinking to do my rims. before i had LX-i rims that i thought i would do something to, but now i have prelude rims that im sticking with. i wont be getting rid of them so thats out of the question. anyway, i dont want to stay the the original silver color. i dont know exactly what color to do. im thinking gunmetal because that is definatly not stock looking. i dont know if i can find powder coat colors to just look at but im sure there is some sample of colors somewhere. anyone got factory type or aftermarket wheels you got powder coated? i want to see some pix. anyway, i can get those done for about $200 which i dont think is half bad. considering they will strip them and powder coat them. took my friend only 3 days for his to get finished!

RobT5580
02-21-2004, 07:17 AM
That is a good price thats what my friend was charging and it just was not worth it because it would take him a good day just to strip the wheels. Coating them is the easy part. Unless they uses chemicals its just a horrible process so i can say the price is right and im sure a shop around here would charge double that.

HondaBoy
02-21-2004, 10:31 PM
ok, today i saw my friend again. he said he had to get the tires taken off by a tire shop. said they bead blasted the rims and powder coated them like that. saw them in the sunlight. looks pretty nice. although the color isnt great, its like primer gray, but with gloss. yeah, $200 is too good of a deal to pass up. he said it wasnt in town though, so i dont know how that will go.

joker2
02-26-2004, 06:37 AM
Well, I had my old tuner 15 inch rims done in white and they turned out nice as well but the shop I got mine done at didn't do stripping so I had to take them to another shop that bead blasted them.... I think they only charged me like $150 to powder coat the rims.... I saw those lude rims that you have and if I were you I pobably would do them in a hyper black, just my 2 cents.... :)