PDA

View Full Version : car knocks

Bioforge
02-21-2004, 06:16 AM
I really dont think my car likes me...that or I just dont have luck on my side the past 3 months.

My problem now is when you accelerate the car does a distinctive knock....kinda like a rod knock, but it isnt....This is a engine I just droped in with less then 40K miles. about a couple weeks ago I put in my iridium plugs, and bosh wires, and it ran great till yesterday....when you accelerate its not really noticable till 2k, then its intermittent till redline. its hard to place the sound, but I think its knocking in the cylinder itself, or possible towards the back of the engine, but I think the valves are fine...I have checked timing, and its fine...checked the cap and rotor, have 93 grade fuel, and oil level is fine....any extra ideas would be helpful, thanx.

k-roy
02-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Damn this is a tough one.
Maybe its possible you just got some bad gas?
What is the gap on your plugs?
Did you replace the cap and rotor as well?

Since your timing is good it could be one of 3 things. Fuel, spark or emissions.
I would replace the fuel filter, vacuum lines, cap & rotor and get a new coil. I just scored an Accel SS coil and my car loves it.
If its emissions it can be a real bitch, did you check the ECU for codes?

Blkblurr
02-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Sounds like the vacuum advance on the distributor is not working properly. Could have a bad vacuum line going to the distributor vacuum advance or the advance mechanism is stuck.

Bioforge
02-21-2004, 09:55 PM
hmm, well gas is 93 like its always been. the plugs are gaped a permenant size(so thats ruled out)..cap and rotor are new when I put the engine in...I do need to replace my fuel filter though, but thats just causing my sluggish acceleration, not this hellova knock.....as for the ecu, definately forgot that one, i'll check it in the morning...I do have an extra distributor laying around, so I just may use that to try my luck...will report back in the morning.

Bioforge
02-22-2004, 07:38 PM
HAHAHA, well I changed the oil, and their are little itty-bitty silver shards....So, I am thinking maybe I was wrong about the rod-knock...well I am taking it to a shop for a seconed opinion, but if it is a rod going, then thank god I have a 6 month warrenty on the engine.

BootMachine
02-25-2004, 11:27 AM
sounds to me like your dist is on the way out. Usually when the A series dist hits a few thou. kms it goes wonky and cant keep timing for shit.

Rev your engine to 3 grand and hit it with the timing light. I bet your timing mark will be flying back and fourth. If so...replace the dist!

Bioforge
02-26-2004, 07:58 PM
na, I found the problem was trying to diagnose an engine after having a few drinks isnt a good idea....it is infact a rod, and I do infact have a 6 month warranty...but to keep a long story short, I may be parting this car.

riced_roach
03-12-2004, 11:09 PM
sounds to me like your dist is on the way out. Usually when the A series dist hits a few thou. kms it goes wonky and cant keep timing for shit.

Rev your engine to 3 grand and hit it with the timing light. I bet your timing mark will be flying back and fourth. If so...replace the dist!

Dont rule out a loose tension on a timing belt. Ive seen this many times in a honda. Especially at idle you'll see almost a timing scatter. NOT the distributor.