PDA

View Full Version : Passive x-overs - Why are tweeters always reversed polarity?

POS carb
02-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Why are the passive crossovers that you usually find in house speakers etc wired with the tweeter backwards? What kind of difference am I looking at by reversing the wires? The only thing I can think of is some kind of phasing/delay

(If you don't know wha I mean follow the circuit path of the tweeter's + wire and you will end up at the - input)

:werd: :cheers:

Moodybluesr
02-21-2004, 11:19 PM
I just checked out the crossovers for a set of Boston Acoustic RC61 components and the tweeter polarity isn't reversed on them. I have never checked out a set of shelf speakers, but your phase theory seems to be as good as anything I could think of.

POS carb
02-22-2004, 10:33 AM
r u sure? Damn, I noticed it on a KLH and a Cerwin Vega 3-way system. Check the smaller caps.

Moodybluesr
02-22-2004, 04:06 PM
The negative input from the amplifier on the board is directly connected to the negative output of both the woofer and the tweeter. The posotive traces through a small cap, a 10 watt resistor, and a couple 50wv bi-polars of 6 and 4 mfd a piece. The polarity is never switched for the tweeter, in this application, anyway.