PDA

View Full Version : Stereo cutting out!

mattalica
02-21-2004, 06:13 PM
so I was sitting in my car today and listening to the stereo and I turned it up and it shut off!It came right back on but shut off as soon as the first notes hit.If it was my alternator it wouldn't do it when the engine isn't running.would it?If it is a short which I think it is how do I fix it.It also shuts off sometimes when I turn on the heater and niether one works!WTF!!help please.Thanks Matt

k-roy
02-21-2004, 06:25 PM
That was the first sign of my alternator dying.
Try cleaning you battery posts with a mixture of baking soda and water, it just might be a bad contact.

HostileJava
02-21-2004, 06:39 PM
I'm going with the bad alternator theory also. Your not supplying enough voltage to the stereo and it's shutting off. Don't keep doing it you'll damage it running at low voltages. I hope it's just a loose connection.

Hash_man_Se_i
02-22-2004, 10:20 AM
I had the same problem, but for me, the lights on my deck always seemed to dim when I had it cranked. So, I just ran a power wire from the battery straight to the deck, and this seemed to solve the problem, and is definately a lot cheaper than replacing the alternator.

HOODY09_86
02-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Check your ground and makes ure it's a good connection. Like the guy said bypassing a wire straight to the battery will help for awhile but I had done that and i was pushing so much power from the battery already with the amp it started flickering after about a month so if you have a powerful amp get a capacitor and that should solve all problems and leaves the subs sounded good

Corey's89
02-28-2004, 05:27 PM
make sure you wire harness is not loose and there are no bare wires touching any metal around your h/u. also you if you could find a volt meter, turn the stereo on a/c, e-flashers, lights and see if your batt stays constant. or make sure you batt terminals are clean (use sand paper) and tighten them back down. try the terminal thing first.

accordlxi2.0
02-28-2004, 06:09 PM
but he said his car was'nt running.
when my alt when bad my pioneer hu would dim real bad everytime a bass note would hit.
is your system stock or aftermarket?

mattalica
02-29-2004, 07:54 PM
My stereo is a Sony xplod cdx600lr pushing Kenwood 6 1/2's in the stock door mounts and 2 Bazooka 6x9's out back.My amp is a Volfenhag 1000w 4 channel pushin' 2 kenwood 12's.I know next to nothing about electrical and am scared to death about messin' w/ it.It is my alt though cuz last night it did it again at idle.Then I got it up to about 4k rpm's and no problem.But it does it when the car is not running and also my stereo doesn't allways come on when I start the car I have to turn it off and then on again real quck then it comes on.?????Where is the ground and for that matter where is the wire harness?

accordlxi2.0
03-02-2004, 06:44 PM
the batt lite does'nt come on?!
it could b something disconnecting from the h/u

88LX-iSedan
03-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Didn't read all the posts but, it could be the soldering points on the H/U (Specificly, the wiring harness plug) Happend on my Pioneer, cost about $60 to get it fix.. The guy supposedly gave me a deal to, even bumped me ahead of his other customers and had it fixed in about 2 hours.

mattalica
03-02-2004, 08:53 PM
No the batt light doesn't come on.I asked earlier but no one has answered me.Where is the wiring harness?And where are the stereo wires in relation to the wiring harness?thanks,Matt

88LX-iSedan
03-03-2004, 12:15 AM
http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/v87/Ph4n7om/Untitled.jpg

This is the wiring harness plug, wich if your H/U was the only thing cutting out.. would more than likely be the problem.. that, or the harness it's self but, sence i read your post more close. "It also shuts off sometimes when I turn on the heater and niether one works!".. not sure if i'm reading it right but, your heater and h/u don't work after you turn the heat on? Anyway, if that's the case.. it has nothing to do with the wiring harness or the plug... don't quote me on it though :D

k-roy
03-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Oh man with that big or an amp I would add a 2 ferad capacitor for the amp. That should solve your problem.