PDA

View Full Version : performance carb

rjudgey
02-22-2004, 12:36 PM
whats the best downdraught carb that will fit an a20 inlet manifold need something beefy, easy to buy secondhand and cheapish as its going on my b20a carb conversion don't won't to use honda carb as their rubbish! thanks rich!

accordlxi2.0
02-22-2004, 12:41 PM
i think weber is the best around, talk to kroy he seem's to know alot about them.

dXsquared
02-22-2004, 12:46 PM
A20A1 knows the most.. but your best bet is a Weber 38mm... its a DGV style carb with two 38mm bores... if your B20 will have headers, cams, exhaust, then it should get the 38mm.. if its gonna be stock, run a 32/36 DGV

Travis

k-roy
02-22-2004, 01:46 PM
I agree, A20A1 knows more about it. Im just a joe schmoe shadetree mechanic for my hobby. I do know a shitload about the 3rd gen Accord though.

For the B20A I would say get a Weber 38mm. They are ocassionally on eBay used. All you will technically need is a adaptor plate and a linkage adaptor available from Weber. Rebuild kits are cheap, I would rebuild a used one, it will cost less than half of new if you do it yourself. A few good things to compliment the bigger carb would be a new higher flow fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, aftermarket coil, header good plugs with increased gap, thick ass plug wires and some type of custom air intake. If I ever get a weber for the 3G I will go with a hood scoop just for pure shock value.

I agree with Dx here, if your gonna keep it more stock then just get a 32/36 DGV. The primary barrel and even the secondary is smaller and is progressive. The 38mm has two larger bores in the barrels and the throttle plates are synchronous, making better power while decreasing ecomy.

If you do get a weber there is a good book available on it,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0895863774/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-6007531-7261711#reader-link
I have never had to jet a weber, there is a thread somewhere about what sizes people have used.

shepherd79
02-22-2004, 06:03 PM
if you are going to run B20 motor. i would get agressive cams and dual Weber sidedrafters. i would start with 42mm and go up.
the manifold will have to be custom made, and the carbs you can get on ebay or here (http://www.carbs.net/Weber/weber.htm).

tehhnda
02-22-2004, 08:11 PM
just out of sheeer curiosity but can a holley carb go onto an 87 accord? if so what would i need? i know a fuel pump is needed but is that it? any suggestions from anyone who has tried this already?

PhydeauX
02-22-2004, 09:22 PM
I still have that half finished dcnf manifold in my basement. That would problaby get a b20a going, but it would have to be finished. I don't think I'll ever get around to it. Pretty much all that needs to be done is finish drilling the studs and clean up the plenum area a bit. I'd be willing to sell it with the carb if you want to take on the project. PM me if your interested. The carb is a 40 dcnf, dual 40mm throats, syncrnous opening found on lotus and ferrari and such ;). There were pics in the project section but the hosting is down for the time being. I have the images if you want them.

andy

A20A1
02-22-2004, 09:40 PM
I agree with at least the 38 on the stock intake manifold... but they also make an adapter to stck a single DCOE to the weber adapter plate... this means anyway you go you'll still be able to use the 32/36 adapterpate. It cost about $50.00 for the DGV adapter and about $100 for the DGV to DCOE adapter.
http://www.jameng.com/products/index.phtml?section=12
Do get the book as well, it will help ot a lot when tuning either of the carbs. I used to have one but sold it to POS Carb.

just out of sheeer curiosity but can a holley carb go onto an 87 accord? if so what would i need? i know a fuel pump is needed but is that it? any suggestions from anyone who has tried this already?
Sure you just need to put some work into it.
High volume fuel pump is a must
I'm going for a 4BBL but shep has put on a 2BBL (BBL = Barrel)
Other then that you need a way to get a base for the carb. I'm going to weld a plate on mine later, but for now for my first attempt I'm going to epoxy and bolt it on. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37554 Those are the pics. I used a 4barrel holley spacer as a base for the carb. It's 1" thick so clearance may be an issue... they do make 1/2" spacers as well.
I would hold off on going to the 4bbl till you have some performance upgrades the carb alone wont make your car faster. The 2BBl should help though.
Upgrading the fuel pump for even the stock carb will help, but you might need a reg since the float might not handle the psi.

EDIT: hehe read my little addition at the bottom of the page. :D
There is no adapter plate.. you need to rig some custom plate.
The street avangers are not a good choice, the 4BBL I'm using is only 390 CFM, well anything below 400 since I'm splitting the carb.

I also want to upgrade the runners to flow more... maybe 200-300 cfm each side.

tehhnda
02-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Sure you just need to put some work into it.
High volume fuel pump is a must
I'm going for a 4BBL but shep has put on a 2BBL (BBL = Barrel)
Other then that you need a way to get a base for the carb. I'm going to weld a plate on mine later, but for now for my first attempt I'm going to epoxy and bolt it on. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37554 Those are the pics. I used a 4barrel holley spacer as a base for the carb. It's 1" thick so clearance may be an issue... they do make 1/2" spacers as well.

excellent, so basically i just need an adapter plate to get the holley carb to fit on the stock engine.

So would the Holley street Avenger Carb be a good one to go for? along with its conterpart fuel pump?

This is just in the planning stages at the moment for myself im trying to get my ideas together so i don't go into this blind :)

rjudgey
02-23-2004, 04:18 AM
thanks guys real usefull info!
what i'm planning is b20a using a20 carb manifold (their cheap), adapter plate for dgv(didn't know they did 2bbl 38mm), ported flowed head, ported flowed inlet/exhaust manifold, 2 1/4" exhaust from downpipe back no cat needed as in u.k, upgraded ignition using dizzy convertor kit from crane/msd/lumenition, might look at b18 rods and pistons they should fit bearings are the same as well as bore size might go 1mm oversize, hood scoop allready on bonnet for ram air induction, hope to get at least 150-160bhp for now, then uprate to weber dcoe's, better cams, when my friend has more money.
again thanks for info rich!
i might even consider a b20a for mine!

shepherd79
02-23-2004, 04:56 AM
the easiest way to adapt the holley is to use Rochester/holley adapter plate. you can get them at any autoparts store for $30.
they come with studs. all you have to do is bore out the original intake manifold.
Use alumaloy to fill the stock stud threads. drill and tap new holes for adapter plate and you got holley. the hard part is the linkage.
i have the manifold that i was working on holley setup. it is not the original one. this one i bore out to the max, and i still have the adapter plate. so if you want let me know.

Versanick
08-14-2004, 03:26 PM
So, what you're trying to tell me is that I can find an adaptor plate for a DGV or a holley carb, and get a Rochester/Holly adapter plate to run a rochester carb on my 3g??
My friend has a 4bbl rochester quadrajet that runs a 455ci oldsmobile big block v8... and he has always wanted to put it on my honda (and make me go carb)... is that seriously a possibility? I'm still having trouble deciphering what all of you guys keep asking and discussing regarding adapter plates from DGV to DCOE and such...
But that would be even cheaper (for me) than getting a custom mani for dual 45 DCOE's, and maybe flow better, if I port the mani...

The quadrajet would be going on a b20a with full race head port, 3-angle valved, race-cammed head and a built bottom end ready to rev to the sky... the plan to use the quadrajet was an overkill sort of a thing, it works like a predator in that it is nearly infinitely variable... we have a running bet if that setup winds up being put together, as to whether the secondaries could be opened... I say they can be.
not that I could get it to work anyway....

Wipeout
08-14-2004, 06:40 PM
I would think the Honda would have to rev way too high to pull the kind of airflow that Quadrajet wants. If it's meant for a big block it probably won't work out of the box on a Honda :D

Bobb
08-15-2004, 12:47 AM
If you were to go through the trouble of getting an adapter plate to bolt on an aftermarket 4 bbl, The carb to us would be either a Predator or Edelbrock AFB

The reasoning for this is the Tunability... The Predator can be tuned to gain or decrease air flow.. The Linkage is infinatly adjustable... So everything opens when you want not when the engineers want hehehhee The Edelbrock is also Very adjustable... add weight to the Air Plate over the secondarys... and it opens later...or slower what ever you need.. Every jet known to man comes in a nice carrying case along with the metering rods.... OR ! If all else fails.. Call Adam Campbell At Barry Grant Fuel Systems and tell em Ya need a special Demon ;)

Bob