PDA

View Full Version : pos car

bobsaccord
02-22-2004, 01:16 PM
pos carrrrr dam it wont start....the head lights go up and down the radio wont come on, wtf is wrong with it? any helppp i donno whats wrong with it...

:gun: my car

and if any body know how 2 hook up sub to an amp and help would be greatly appreciated.. theres some :bong: and :beer: in it for you haha

Mac
02-22-2004, 01:24 PM
A quick guess would be the starter. But a little more info would be good. Is it an auto or 5 speed? What happens when you turn the key? A click, nothing, or does it try to turn over?

bobsaccord
02-22-2004, 01:35 PM
A quick guess would be the starter. But a little more info would be good. Is it an auto or 5 speed? What happens when you turn the key? A click, nothing, or does it try to turn over?

is a 5 speed, i push the clutch down, turn the key, and nothing...not even a sound...do u think its a fuse?

Mac
02-22-2004, 01:42 PM
A slight chance it could be a fuse. When you turn the key do you get any lights on the dash? With the key on does the turn signals or wipers work?

bobsaccord
02-22-2004, 01:44 PM
A slight chance it could be a fuse. When you turn the key do you get any lights on the dash? With the key on does the turn signals or wipers work?

no those things dont work, the only thing i got to work was the head lights flip up but go right back down, they dont stay up, and the [beep] when the door is open works, any ideas :help:

Mac
02-22-2004, 01:46 PM
OK let's start with some fuses. Check fuse #21 (70 amp) and fuse #25 ( 40 amp) located under the hood in the fuse/relay panel.

bobsaccord
02-22-2004, 01:52 PM
i looked for them but i cant find them bc its too dark outside, damn winter sun light :banghead:

:edit: and on top of that my flash light has no batterys!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Mac
02-22-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm not exactly sure about an 87 but on the 88 the fuse panel is right by the battery. There is a cover on it that you will have to remove to see the fuses. The ones you need to check don't look like the regular fuses. They are held in with screws and have clear plastic and should have a flat piece of copper that you can see.

k-roy
02-22-2004, 01:57 PM
I had a similar problem. My battery terminals were corroded.

I disconnected them, and coated the terminals and wire ends in a baking soda/water mix.
Let that sit for 5 minutes and wipe them down. Then I used my trusty old battery post cleaner tool. It Scrapes the battery and the connections exposing fresh metal for a good contact. You can get some chemical treated felt washers for the battery that helps prevent corossion, they are cheap as shit and work great. You could also Have a bad ground wire, try cleaning the connection or replacing it.

It could also be a fuse, the startor wiring or the startor itself.

Mac
02-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Yep. Kroy is right, that would be somewhere else to check.

bobsaccord
02-22-2004, 02:00 PM
thanx guys im gunna try 2 do the things u guys said 2mor when theres some light 2 work in, ill let u know of the results. im off 2 :beer:

hersheys87
01-15-2011, 05:09 AM
[QUOTE=Mac;361627]A quick guess would be the starter. But a little more info would be good. Is it an auto or 5 speed? What happens when you turn the key? A click, nothing, or does it try to turn over?[/QU i have an auto n it does nothin when i turn it over but all the lights n radio works? I changed da injectors fuse ( because it went out b4) but my battery terminals are corroded

hersheys87
01-15-2011, 05:20 AM
i have an auto n it does nothin but click when i turn it over but all the lights n radio works? I changed da injectors fuse ( because it went out b4) but my battery terinals are corroded

hersheys87
01-15-2011, 06:08 AM
lights work on dash radio works brake light cums on when i try to start it. Battery terminals are coroded i tried a jump but it didnt do anythang jus the light on dash came on

Dr_Snooz
01-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Replace your battery cables.

lostforawhile
01-15-2011, 10:47 AM
if your battery terminals are corroded thats the main issue, the headllight will flip like that when you have really low voltage, is the battery itself ok? being up north the salt on the roads will corrode the crap out of everything, the battery terminals need to be cleaned, also remove and clean the end of the gound cable where it attaches to the car body, check the ground from the engine to the body, and check the ground from the transmission to the body, if the terminals are badly corroded, the battery probably hasn't been chaging properly, or it simply gave up, how old is it? with the weather up there lately a lot of weak batteries have probably been failing, they will work one day, then the next day they won't

Oldblueaccord
01-16-2011, 10:50 AM
lights work on dash radio works brake light cums on when i try to start it. Battery terminals are coroded i tried a jump but it didnt do anythang jus the light on dash came on

Try starting it in Neutral.

wp

Dr_Snooz
01-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Try starting it in Neutral.

wp

Seriously?

Oldblueaccord
01-16-2011, 02:33 PM
its an Auto ? Hes either not got it fully in Park or the Neutral safety switch could be bad.

he jumped it off an it still wont turn Id look for something like that.

Start simple and work your way up.

wp

kentwat
01-17-2011, 09:16 AM
I'd clean all battery cables first. You need to verify a good connection to the battery. Also I'd check your ground straps on motor and chasis. A good battery connection is a must on any car.

lostforawhile
01-17-2011, 04:05 PM
if the battery has developed an internal short, jumping the car won't help, pull the battery out, have it tested, and while it's out clean up those cable ends. It sounds like a simple battery problem