PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question #863 - Do I Need A PCV Valve?

it's paid for
02-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Hey,

I was thinking . . . I have a photo of somebody's 3G with a Weber and it looks like they ran a tube directly from the valve cover to the air filter - with no pcv valve or filter in between the valve cover and air filter . . . so . . . that's what I did and I'm not sure this is a good thing . . .

. . . do I need to toss in a pcv valve between the valve cover & air filter? Also, I've seen at least one photo of a valve cover hose coming out of the valve cover just a couple of inches and stopping into what looked like a fuel filter - is that an option? If so, I guess I could just plug the hole in my air filter box where it now connects to the hose coming ouit of the valve cover.

Thanks,

IPF

SteveDX89
02-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Throw the pic up. We'll get a better idea of what you mean.

PhydeauX
02-23-2004, 08:21 AM
Yes you need a pcv valve. Though what I think you're talking about isn't the pcv valve. The connection on the valve cover is not the pcv, its just a breather. When people install those aftermarket cai's they hook the breather hose up to the intake pipe. Originaly the hose was connected to the bottom of the air cleaner (carb) or intake pipe (efi). Its just drawing fresh filtered air from the intake system to replace the air evacuated by the pcv. The 83's pcv iirc is in just about the same place that it is on the 3g. The weber kit should have a hookup for the breather. There should be a white plumbing fitting that was included with the air filter. This goes on the hole in the bottom of the air cleaner and the breather hose is connected to it. Its ugly and doesn't fit very well and it seems no one ever bothers to hook it up. If you don't hook it up then you need to seal off the hole in the air cleaner and get a breather filter for the valve cover.

andy

it's paid for
02-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Yes you need a pcv valve. Though what I think you're talking about isn't the pcv valve. The connection on the valve cover is not the pcv, its just a breather. When people install those aftermarket cai's they hook the breather hose up to the intake pipe. Originaly the hose was connected to the bottom of the air cleaner (carb) or intake pipe (efi). Its just drawing fresh filtered air from the intake system to replace the air evacuated by the pcv. The 83's pcv iirc is in just about the same place that it is on the 3g. The weber kit should have a hookup for the breather. There should be a white plumbing fitting that was included with the air filter. This goes on the hole in the bottom of the air cleaner and the breather hose is connected to it. Its ugly and doesn't fit very well and it seems no one ever bothers to hook it up. If you don't hook it up then you need to seal off the hole in the air cleaner and get a breather filter for the valve cover.

Okay - as is, I have a tube running from my valve cover to the bottom of the air filter - into that "white plumbing fitting" that came with the Weber air filter . . . so, do I need something - like a filter or valve - to go between the valve cover and the air filter?

Or what?

Thanks,

IPF