PDA

View Full Version : Engine not getting gas?

Justin86
02-23-2004, 09:10 AM
Lately my car has been surging like its not getting enough gas. The weird think is I just put in a new fuel pump and filter 2 weeks ago. It just started acting up this Saturday at the meet we had in Oregon. I change the preasure regulator sat and that didn't help at all, but when I filled the tank to go home it worked fine. Then when I start to get low on a gas about a 1/3 of a tank and usally under heavy load it will start to starve for fuel. Since it seems to happen when the tank is getting low I think it might have something to do with the fuel sensor cause my fuel gauge has been working right lately, but I would think that would affect the ECU and the fuel delivery in any negative way.

k-roy
02-23-2004, 09:49 AM
Do you have a carb? If so try adjusting it as per the instructions in the howto section.

shepherd79
02-23-2004, 11:22 AM
may be you got some bad gas.

Justin86
02-23-2004, 04:38 PM
No its EFI Kroy, geez I thought everyone knew that. :D

Well I wish it is bad gas but considering I filled it up here in town before I left for the meet. Then 200miles later it started to act up. Before I left to go home I filled it up agian and it worked fine but then about another 200miles later it started to act up again. If I had bad gas it would act up all the time not just when the tank was about 1/3 full. :werd:

Mike's89AccordLX
02-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Maybe your gauge is tweeked out or something. Are you leaking gas anywhere? I hoped you tested the fuel pump after the install. New parts aren't always good. (I've seen that a lot already and I've only been doing the mechanic work at school for a little under a year.)

Justin86
02-23-2004, 05:00 PM
yea my fuel gauge has not been working perfect lately but I don't see how that would cause a problem. It acts like it is the pump but it is also only 2 weeks old and I think I threw out the recite so it would be a bitch to take it back. Then today going to school I had no problems with it?

Blkblurr
02-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Sounds like the fuel pump is sucking air once the tank gets below 1/3 tank. Could be the fuel pump was not installed properly.

Justin86
02-23-2004, 10:16 PM
how could you install it wrong? There is only one way it goes in and it sits at the botom of the tank with the filter on the end of it? I put the pump is a couple weeks ago and it just started doing this saturday but today it wasen't bad but also I never got up to 80mph today. I'll have to test it out more tomorow to see if I can figure it out.

MrBen
02-23-2004, 10:33 PM
Could be sucking up shit from the bottom of the tank. But I find this unlikely.

Bioforge
02-23-2004, 11:24 PM
if the filter isnt on right, something could be ocasionally blocking the inlet tube...pull the pump and check it out.

Justin86
02-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Yea it might be getting crap form the bottom of the tank but then why dosen't it do it all the time. Well I'll have some time today to mess with it so I was thinking about pullinmg the tank and cleaing it up real good to get any crap out that might be in there and reinstall the pump.