PDA

View Full Version : WTH Is This Part???

damnthesenames
02-23-2004, 04:14 PM
So I bought this accord Dec 1st, and am just now getting around to putting the head back on it... thought it had bent valves. It didn't. Anyway, I'm replacing a few hoses and stuff and I find this broken peice of shit... has a valve and stuff inside it, and i have no idea what it is... anyone have any ideas....

http://www.legacyofrhyn.net/fixed.JPG
http://www.legacyofrhyn.net/broken.JPG

If anyone has one, or a part number so I can get it from honda.... thanks guys

dXsquared
02-23-2004, 04:17 PM
where was it in the engine bay? what model do you have?

Travis

damnthesenames
02-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Dah... Sorry
It was connected to the intake manifold in someway or another, led to an oil dran pipe i belive, that went into the oil pan.

I have a 89 LX-i 5 Spd FI

where was it in the engine bay? what model do you have?

Travis

HondaBoy
02-23-2004, 04:24 PM
i'd say that could be the PCV valve, but i dont know that for sure. considering it goes into you oil pan, thats my guess. i'm sure there is more people that can tell you here.

NXRacer
02-23-2004, 04:31 PM
looks like the PCV to me too.

HondaBoy
02-23-2004, 04:32 PM
i'd say its #5 on the drawing, which is the part of the PCV thingy. anyway hope that helps some.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SG70_A05.gif
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=2DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=BREATHER+PIPE-OIL+FILTER

'89AccordLX(Rus)
02-23-2004, 04:33 PM
Stupid doublepost...Anywho read my next post in this thread.

damnthesenames
02-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Cool, thanks guys
what's it do? :)

'89AccordLX(Rus)
02-23-2004, 04:36 PM
The top part is the PCV Valve (the part that is in two pieces), the pipe that it is connected to runs to the PCV breather chamber. Looks like you will have to replace both the pipe and the valve. It is in the $15 region from the dealer. In the picture above, the part #s are 18 and 5. Get the PCV valve at your local auto parts store for ~3 bucks, the pipe is a dealer only item though.

eightyfivelude
02-23-2004, 11:29 PM
it vents harmful gasses from your crankcase and oil pan back into the intake manifold to be burned off. The gasses build up in teh motor and cause it to become acidic which is no good. It also helps control emissions

k-roy
02-23-2004, 11:31 PM
it vents harmful gasses from your crankcase and oil pan back into the intake manifold to be burned off. The gasses build up in teh motor and cause it to become acidic which is no good. It also helps control emissions

WEll I guess thats another emissions component I have to deal with.
Just when I thought I removed everything. Im thinking about a tube with a breether on the end, that should work. I'll keep you guys posted.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
02-24-2004, 07:21 AM
WEll I guess thats another emissions component I have to deal with.
Just when I thought I removed everything. Im thinking about a tube with a breether on the end, that should work. I'll keep you guys posted.

Do not remove the PCV system! It has a very important function and contributes to emission control by simply not allowing the harmful vapors into the atmosphere. The main purpose of this system is to remove the vapors from the crankcase in order to prevent corrosion and formulation of sludge in the oil pan. The vapors create a very acidic environment inside the engine which causes corrosion, oil deteriation, and formulation of sludge. If you were to remove the PCV system, you would experience very fast oil darkening, as well as leaking gaskets because of the pressure build up in the engine. The maximum extent of modification with this system would be an addition of a canister type breather filter to the valve cover, other than that, leave it be.

Dennis
02-24-2004, 08:04 AM
So I bought this accord Dec 1st
:cool2: we bought our cars on the same day :cool2:

damnthesenames
02-24-2004, 09:40 AM
You have probally had the luxury of driving yours tho, right? :) Due to my lazyness, a foot an a half of snow on top of the car and various other factors I haven't even began working on it*other than pulling the head off*. Assuming I can get the PCV valve I just broke today then I should be able to have the head on and the engine timed by this afternoon... hopefully it will run :) I bought it for 800 dollars with a broken belt. excellent condition inside tho!

Vinny
02-24-2004, 09:54 AM
800 buck cars make me cringe, thats what i paid for the bastard hatch and its cost me well over another 800 so far

'89AccordLX(Rus)
02-24-2004, 11:21 AM
Assuming I can get the PCV valve I just broke today then I should be able to have the head on and the engine timed by this afternoon... hopefully it will run :)

Based on the pictures you provided, you would need more than just the valve. The tube that is broken needs to be replaced, plus the rubber grommet for the valve. The grommet and the tube can't be obtained from the local auto parts suppliers. You can try to glue the tube back together, but it needs to be completely leak free or you will have a major vacuum leak.

Hope this helps.

Vinny
02-24-2004, 11:46 AM
what grommet are you talking about russ????????? It looks to me like he seperated the tube(5) from the breather chamber(1) to the PCV valve(18) at the manifold and at the breather chamber joint(4) since I don't see the joint sticking out from the bottom of the PCV line. The only grommet between the chamber and the intake manifold is on the chamber itself and it holds the joint. The tube has a premolded lip at the valve side that you have to pop up from the bottom of the itake manifold, then the valve sits in the tube, but there isn't a grommet there its just a premolded groove in the tube. Unless I'm missing something he just needs a new PCV valve and the tube.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
02-24-2004, 02:03 PM
I think there is a rubber gromet in which the PCV valve seats to make a good seal. At least on a carburated engine. It looks like a ring into which you insert the PCV valve. You may be right however because Majestic doesn't seem to show any kind of grommet up near the valve. I am not truly sure if it is a grommet now that you mentioned the lip on the tube. People have mentioned cracking the grommet, etc. and I assumed that there must be one there.

For example: http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=2803&highlight=PCV+grommet

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=1241&highlight=PCV+grommet

:cheers: :)

HondaBoy
02-26-2004, 08:54 PM
just a thing to think about. looks like a messed up PCV thing could be the cause of my moms neon's busted head gasket! hope the head isnt warped, ahh, its a pos anyway. but yeah, a PCV valve can be quite important there, helping pressure out of your bottom end of the engine. read up some of that in my honda manual.

johnwc723
02-28-2004, 11:39 PM
damn im good, i called that it was a PCV valve assembally even before i read to the second post. (all thanks to all of you too !)