PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglassing

sccrsteve5
02-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Does anyone have a how-to on fiberglassing? i am thinking about doing a few fiberglass projects with my car but i don't know how much work is involved. a how-to would be nice. thanks

Grant2k
02-23-2004, 07:04 PM
go to the library and get out old books on body repair. there were like 6000 books written in the 60 and 70s when fiberglass was the coolest shit. the basics are screen, resin, shape, fill. of course there's more too it but it's basically easy with the screen you can buy right off the shelf in the auto parts store. go there and just look at the instructions on the back of the fiberglass products, they pretty much explain it. Bondo makes all the products you need for basic fiberglass work.

also, just search on google or something. you'll find what you're looking for.

sccrsteve5
02-23-2004, 08:20 PM
fiberglassing seems to take a long time...i dunno if i'd have the patience to take a few weeks on my doors...is there another way to redo my door panels? i am tired of the stock doors...i painted the vinyl and it left it a lil sticky but not bad...i need to figure something out...i don't mind extra weight cuz i'm not really all for racing...i just wanna make my car run smooth and look smooth, thanks

Grant2k
02-23-2004, 10:50 PM
if you want your car to look like the fiberglass in show cars, you have to take your time and do it right. but where did you read that it takes weeks? it should take like a day just to cure.

sccrsteve5
02-24-2004, 02:54 PM
a couple days for each item is what i meant...all the prep work for each piece and then the actual fiberglass...so on all 4 doors a week or so...depending on my availability