PDA

View Full Version : Help Battery Light Came On

accordlxi2.0
02-23-2004, 05:44 PM
well it come's on then stay's off.
it started when my horn was only working when the engine revved, then it did'nt work, and my brake light's did'nt work either.
the battery light came on then would go off at cruising speed.
after you had the light's on and stuff, turn thye car off, start it up after a few minute's then it would come on stay on for about 20second's then go off.
it's dark out and i'm needing some help.
i wanna have this done before i start my new job.

k-roy
02-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Its either the battery, alternator, or bad wiring.
Take it by Autozone or whatever, they check batteries and alternators for free.
You can do it yourself. Do you have a voltmeter?

Blkblurr
02-23-2004, 06:10 PM
Check the condition and tightness of your alternator belt. Sounds like the belt is loose or worn (glazed). The brake lights and the horn not working sounds like another problem. possibly a shorted wire due to a radio change or replacement.

accordlxi2.0
02-23-2004, 06:36 PM
okay 1st off thanx for responding fast, i was out side i started it up the usaual it went off.
hook v/m to battery was getting 13-14volt's contastly changing.
turned up a/c fan same, turned on park light's went down a little, turned on hi-beam's went down to 13.35v.
then i turned the engine off, while the light's where on.
the volt's went down.
13.35, 34 33 on so on , till it got to 12.00 volt's.
started it up while everything was still on, then the batt lite stayed on.
the volt's went back to 13.25 but the light was on, till i revved it then the light went off, then it went to 13.50 volt's also.
the fuse for the brake/horn is out.

any suggestion???

shepherd79
02-23-2004, 08:11 PM
it is your alternator. it can't hold under big load. get a new alternator. it should be constand 14.2-14.4V all the time when the engine is running.

Blkblurr
02-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Still sounds like your belt is loose or glazed. When you apply load to your alt like you did it requires a lot of torque to turn your alt. The torque to turn it is applied by your alt belt. If the belt slips you will not spin the alt fast enough to generate the voltage required to keep the alt light off. Once the battery discharges below the threshold that sets the alt warning light the light will stay on until the voltage rises above that voltage. Take the load off the alt and the belt no longer slips, the voltage goes back to normal and charges the battery to above 13.5 volts and the light goes off.

accordlxi2.0
02-24-2004, 05:10 AM
well im'a check this morning.
i really hope it's not the alt. man cause i just sent a mo for the rest of the efi parts, it'll make no sense if i buy a new one then have time to do the conversion.
then what ya know. . . . :pissed:

jayp6969
02-24-2004, 05:58 AM
u need a new alternator ne ways if u do a conversion 2 efi.....different plugs

accordlxi2.0
02-24-2004, 06:48 AM
i know okay i went out there, started up, the light went off. so then i loaded it, light's on , a/c hi, the radio up well not all the way up, did'nt wanna bother neighbor's,
volt's while cold = 14.38 when under load = 14.00
volt's while hot = 14.25 when under load = 14.00
but i kinda found the problem
well i dont know the rpm's readout
but i had the idle about 500rpm's when in drive. but it did'nt really charge well until i raised the idle a bit. then it was charging better.
i turned it off while everything is still on.
started it and the light stayed on for awhile and the idle was high too.
once it reached back to 14.00 the idle went down.
my mom said it could be the alternator, i disconnected the cable it stalled.
connect it back, started it up the light stayed on.
put it in drive it went off. put everything back on, the light did'nt come on.

what's the best way of taking off the alt. on a lx? (w/o removing axle)

plus on the fuse boxcover what is
P T C
I G (A) (ignition a?)
I G (B) (ignition b?)
A C G (S)

i have no idea's what those are.

jayp6969
02-24-2004, 06:51 AM
u disconnected the battery cable and it stalled that means ur alternator is dead...if u disconected ur alternator harness ur battery is dead or no voltage is coming out

accordlxi2.0
02-24-2004, 06:55 AM
i kinda figured that thanx , but what would b the best way of taking it out?
and what do those letter's stand for ?

montman
02-24-2004, 07:04 AM
i kinda figured that thanx , but what would b the best way of taking it out?
and what do those letter's stand for ?
Belive it or not it will slide out from the top, you do not have to remove the axel. It may take alot of wiggling and removing of a few hoses/lines but it did eventually slide down the firewall and out the passenger side on my carb'd car.

Im having a similar problem but I have already replaced the alt. :(
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=30057

accordlxi2.0
02-24-2004, 07:18 AM
lol i jus posted in that thread.
i'ma make a how to , cause i see a easy way.
maybe if i rasie the engine take off, the hose's arond the driver side of carb.
it look's easy but i don't think it will be.

jayp6969
02-24-2004, 10:13 AM
i just put a jack underneith the engine and then a scisor jack in between the block and the fire wall, that gave me enough room to get the alternator up in and outta there...