PDA

View Full Version : squeaky steering???

smufguy
02-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Okay for the past two weeks, i been hearing sqeaky noices every time i turn my steering wheel. This is under fully warmed condition and does NOT depend on if the car is in motion or moving.

It just makes a sqeaky noice every time. I replaced the steering belt last week, and the fluid is 5 months old and nothing more. Everything is clean after i pulled and put the engine back.

What could be it?

NOTE: My uncle's 4th gen just started to do the same exact noice. Whenever we turn the steering, the noice comes in and its irrespective of the car speed or angle of turning. His pump is new.

Blkblurr
02-23-2004, 09:05 PM
It sounds like the rotory electrical contacts under the steering wheel. These have greese in them and will get to a point that the greese is no longer on the rotary contacts. You now have metal to metal that rubs and causes the noise. It is normal for the contacts to rub metal to metal but the lack of greese causes the contacts to wear to a sharp edge and then cause it to squeak. These contacts are what carries the signals from the buttons on the steering wheel back to the electrical system in the car. Horn etc.

smufguy
02-23-2004, 11:20 PM
it comes from the outside. under the engine bay. Its more like a rack noice if u might say. i dont know if its the climate change. its getting a lil warmer from icy cold.

shepherd79
02-24-2004, 04:37 AM
does the noise go up or down down with RPM. if they do, it is your pump.
if not, it can be your rack.

Blkblurr
02-24-2004, 04:55 AM
Never heard a rack make a squeaking sound before. Might be possible but not likely.

smufguy
02-24-2004, 07:51 AM
it does not have anything to do with engine rpm tho. LIke i said it can be standing still while idling and i can be going at 60mph straight, no noice.

WHen i turn the steering wheel, i hear it, it does not matter if i turn it right or left. Its only when the steering wheel is being turned, u can turn it and leave it and no noice. Its only when the steering wheel is being turned. once the steering wheel is stopped, there is no noice.

could it be something else? like wearing out tie rod ends or just the cold weather under the rack boots?

Blkblurr
02-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Tie rod ends may need greese or the boot may be slipping. Bad clamp on it. Can you rasie the car off the ground and still hear the sound? If so, get someone to turn the wheel for you wihile you listen. Off course take the wheel off first.

smufguy
02-24-2004, 08:50 PM
thanks Blkblurr, i will do that over the spring break even tho the sound is kinda gettin on my nerves, Its pretty audible in ever slight turn of the wheel, i will grease things up pretty nice and clean when it gets a lil warmer. Man... stupid NJ.