PDA

View Full Version : PCV woes

Moodybluesr
02-24-2004, 09:28 AM
I tried pullling the damn thing out and the @#$%&* thing shatted on me. :rolleyes: So... I pulled out the downpipe under the valve itself with the intention of replacing it (part of the valve was stuck in it) but the bottom part of the downpipe (that goes into the little black box) broke too. :beat:

I guess my question is: If I can't get the broken piece out of the little black box while it is in the car, does anybody have any experience taking the little black box out? I have done a search, but there doesn't seem to be anything mentioning the removal of the box itself. Any help would be appreciated.

Vinny
02-24-2004, 09:49 AM
I did about the same thing on the sedan the first time I changed the PCV valve, I snapped the plastic piece that goes from the breather box to the line upto the pcv valve. I've pulled mine out a few times. Its going to be pricey to do though. You have to take off the air cleaner assembly to get to the top bolts you also have to unbolt the wire harness to get to things. The breather chamber has 2 or 3 bolts holding it in, I think. I think 2 at the top but one might be for the wiring harness and one is on the drivers side of the box, kinda way back against the block. Heres where it gets expensive. Replace the rubber tube, if its the original one its gonna fall apart more than likely when you pull it out of the manifold, 13 bucks there. then replacing the tube that connects the 2 is 3 bucks. The grommet, u may wanna do while yet there too (the one on top of the breather) 3 bucks. Make sure you replace the O ring where the breather box goes into the block, 1.50. aand you SHOULD probably change the line from the pan to the breather chamber. Mine was old and hard, its a bitch to work with once it gets hard, its like 18 bucks, but last time I worked the oil pan on the hatch I found some softer rubber tubing that fit so I just used that. Anyways its not TOO bad to pull it, just make sure you replace the O rings and crap or your asking for a leak

Moodybluesr
02-25-2004, 12:23 AM
Fun :(

Moodybluesr
03-03-2004, 03:11 AM
Man that ended up being a pain in the a$$. :D

But it had to be done. While I was at it, i changed the:
timing belt
water pump
cam seal
spark plugs
plug wires
distributor cap
rotor
air filter
feul filter
valve cover gasket
and I adjusted the valves while the cover was off. Hopefully it will run like a new car now. :D

Vinny
03-03-2004, 05:09 AM
Good deal James, glad to hear you got it fixed. I told ya it wouldn't be fun didn't I. Antually its not that bad, atleast it wasn't for me but to each his own right. Was I pretty close on telling you how to get in out and back in and what parts you'd need? How in the WORLD do you go from changing the PCV line to the timing belt LOL. Congrats on completeion of your endevor.

Moodybluesr
03-04-2004, 01:44 AM
Just more stuff that had to be done... it purrs like a kitten now.