PDA

View Full Version : Car died, need help!

GDGuy11B
02-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Alright guys, here's the deal...I was driving the 3g around this morning, and I stopped by my job to ask them a question really quick, so I pulled in front of the building and shut the car off, ran inside to ask the question, then 2 minutes later came back outside and attempted to start the car. When I turned the key, there was one single "click" and nothing. The dash lights didnt come on anymore and no clicking. nothing. Luckily I work at a tire shop and a mechanic briefly looked at it, but we found nothing. One of my main concerns was that my sunroof and windows were down, and were in the middle of some bad thunderstorms right now. Well, the battery was fine, we even switched it with a new one. The ground is solid. All the fuses are intact. Can anyone help me?

Micah

NXRacer
02-24-2004, 04:53 PM
maybe you blew a main relay/fuse?

88LXi68
02-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Sounds like a main relay...

accordlxi2.0
02-24-2004, 04:59 PM
did you check the battery fuse link.

GDGuy11B
02-24-2004, 05:01 PM
Where is all this stuff? I checked all the fuses under the hood and dash. they all are good.

iamvandemon
02-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Fuse ground or starter??? take your pick

NXRacer
02-24-2004, 05:06 PM
if there are not lights anywhere, then you either blew a main relay or your ground is bad. But i cant see a ground going bad in that short of time. have you ever had problems similar to this before?

your main relays are under the hood in the main fuse box, but you cant tell if they're bad by just looking at them like a fuze.

Mac
02-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Does the horn or headlights work? Is it an auto or 5 speed?

skull1441
02-24-2004, 05:25 PM
make sure ur connection to ur battery is tight

GDGuy11B
02-24-2004, 05:47 PM
I have a 5 speed. Nothing is getting power at all, horn, windows, locks, radio. The dash lights dont even come on. the battery connections are fine.

accordlxi2.0
02-24-2004, 05:49 PM
i think's it's a fuse of some sort, the main relay is for the efi control system only

Mac
02-24-2004, 06:06 PM
That is wierd. If you are not getting any power to anything. I don't think that there is a fuse that could do that. There is a main 70 amp fuse that feeds most of the circuits that need the ignition switch. Then all the circuits that are hot without the ignition switch all have separate fuses. At least on an 88. I don't think that the 89 is any different. Which leaves the battery itself.

Do you have a volt meter? If so open the fuse/relay panel under the hood. Check that the battery feed wire has voltage. Just follow it from the battery to where it goes in the panel. There should be a screw there. Check it at the screw.

Check both battery cables. Make sure they are tight and clean. Follow the ground wire and make sure that both ends are tight and clean.

GDGuy11B
02-24-2004, 06:14 PM
I've checked all that, we were thinking it could be something inside the steering column.

MoonScryer
02-24-2004, 06:24 PM
Sounds like something is grounding out. If it was a main fuse, the lights would still flip up, but you couldn't start the car. Since nothing is working, check the power wire that runs to the starter, make sure it's good and not ground out against the starter. Also check the ground wire going to the tranny. If they are old, replace both.

Let us know, call me if you need me.

Mac
02-24-2004, 06:37 PM
So was there voltage where the battery feeds the fuse/relay panel under the hood?