PDA

View Full Version : I need a new transmission.

Raduque
02-25-2004, 09:39 AM
It decided to die on me today. No 5th, no 4th anymore, and now, 1st and 2nd make, nasty, unpleasent noises. 3rd is OK, but it's starting to make the same noises as 1st and 2nd. :beat:
Well, to make a long story short, I need a new transmission.

Does anybody know the best place to buy a tranny? Should I look at getting a rebuild from a trans shop, getting mine fixed, or getting a junkyard tranny?
What would be a reasonable price for a rebuild, or to get mine rebuilt? Also, if I pull one from a junkyard, should I pull one from another Accord (88), or should I pull one from another car, like a Prelude? And, if I can't find an 88 could I use another year and have it bolt right up to the engine?

I'm looking for the easiest way to put a new tranny in, and would like to avoid as much hassle as possible trying to fit a non-Accord trans in just because it's "a little better". Well anyway, thanks in advance for the help. I really would like to get the 3Gee back on the road with as minal fuss as possible. :cool2:

Ben/Radu

k-roy
02-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Any 86-89 Accord or 84-87 Prelude tranny will work.
Do you need an Auto or a standard?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
02-25-2004, 10:24 AM
Junk yards are good candidates when it comes to getting transmissions. If you do decide to get one from the junk yard, take off the fifth gear cover and inspect the gears. Since the fifth gearset is higher than all other gears, any problems with lubrication would become evident there first. Look for a blueish look to the gears. Blue=overheated. Rotate the transmission to see if there is any roughness. There should be no play in the input shaft. Ideally, you would take the tranny apart and check everything over, however that isn't absolutely necessary. Rebuilding your transmission would cost more than getting one at the junkyard. The manual transmissions in the Accords all mount up the same. Fuel injected models have different gear ratios from carburated Accords. As far as I know, the carb gear ratios are better for highway usage.

Vinny
02-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Like Kroy said any 86-89 accord tranny will work off any model as well as the 85-87 lude si tranny. The people I know on here who have the lude tranny love them because of the way they are geared. I bought a rebuilt and it ended up costing me about 550 or so plus shipping but it came with a 1 year warranty, always a plus. I got it off ebay from a place in Tallahassee FL. I also picked up one from a member on the board for 150 shipped, it was a known good tranny and it works like a champ. The reason I've bought 2 is because the warranty one failed on me and I didn't want to have my car down for a week while it was getting fixed. They sent me another on within a week so like i said warranty is a plus. So now I have a nice new tranny just setting LOL. Junkyard tranny's usually have lil to know warranty, usually 30 days in most cases. After that you are on your own. Depending on where you are at will make a difference too. I went rebuilt because i couldn't find a tranny from a junkyard for under 300 bucks with a 30 day warranty.

AZmike
02-25-2004, 04:23 PM
No not use a transmission off the carb prelude, your axles will not fit in it. I believe the clutch is also different. The Transmission off an 85-87 Prelude Si will work fine.