PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Question.

zerotap
02-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Ok guys is it me or does our stock antenna suck for reception. I am going to replace mine in a few weeks, but before I do I want some options. Is it even worth paying the $25 or so to get a stock OEM antenna or should I get an upgrade. I've been trying to look for some upgrades but haven't found any. If you guys could point a few things my way I'd appreciate it.
For now I got a panasonic cd player w mp3 capabilities. It's a good solid cd player for $230. I had a $500 touch screen panasonic cd player, but that got jacked last year :crying: so since then I have vowed to not put an expensive player in my car like that again for awhile anyway.
Future mods will be a 10 inch sub powered by an amp and an amp to run the speakers. I will have two 4 inch's in the front and two 6 inch's in the rear plus tweaters. This won't be a competition style $5g stereo system but for about 1g it'll sound extremely well.
So, any info for new antenna would be appreciated. I'd rather stay away from an OEM stock antenna since it'll probly have same crappy reception as the one I got does.

shepherd79
02-26-2004, 04:42 AM
i am having same problems with my new car. i think it is antenna itself. something is not connected or it is not ground right.
take it out and see what is the problem.
the stock antenna will have strong reception if it is working right.

P.S. buy yourself an alarm.

RobT5580
02-26-2004, 09:34 AM
I have a Fuba power antenna on my other coupe and it has much better reception. I thought about putting one on my nice coupe but i dont think im going to because you cant just take it off after if you change your mind. Its basically the same as what the VW's use on the rear of the roof.

NXRacer
02-26-2004, 09:44 AM
stock honda antennas suck. Mines broken on my new hatch so i think i might do something like what rob did, or when i get my windsheild replaced (small ding) i'll get one with the antenna in the windsheild.

HostileJava
02-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Just get XM radio and shave the old antenna :D

NXRacer
02-26-2004, 10:25 AM
unless they start doing free XM radio, im not about to pay for radio. Hell i dont pay for CD's why should i pay for radio? :D I know the quality is exceptional, i just dont see it being worth the money.

HostileJava
02-26-2004, 10:39 AM
unless they start doing free XM radio, im not about to pay for radio. Hell i dont pay for CD's why should i pay for radio? :D I know the quality is exceptional, i just dont see it being worth the money.

I suppose it all depends on ur budget and the amount of time u spend in ur car(500-600miles/week). I personally love the fact that I have commercial free radio available for any genre and News/Weather. Also I can get it cross country. I hate doing meet trips and losing 3 radio stations or more in one trip.

NXRacer
02-26-2004, 10:42 AM
it sure would be nice dont get me wrong but i have better things to spend that money on at the moment. . . besides i dont travel much so local radio works for me.

p.s. sorry for hiijacking your thread zero.

zerotap
02-27-2004, 01:24 AM
Allready have a Clifford Alarm but that came with it when I bought the car, and I personally don't care for it. Therefore, I am going to my car stereo guy and haivng a new alarm installed in a couple week. Just gotta decided between a couple models. One is a silent pager, the other will allow me to upgrade to allow a proximity sensor in the future. The silent pager alarms don't allow proximaty sensors as far as I know otherwise I would definately get one.
i am having same problems with my new car. i think it is antenna itself. something is not connected or it is not ground right.
take it out and see what is the problem.
the stock antenna will have strong reception if it is working right.

P.S. buy yourself an alarm.

zerotap
02-27-2004, 01:25 AM
LOL, I am actually gonna talk with my car stereo guy on that. I know I can talk him into a deal. We'll see.
Just get XM radio and shave the old antenna :D

zerotap
02-27-2004, 01:27 AM
No worries on stealing the thread. This site is here for all of us to brainstorm and hopefully with right info prevent expensive mistakes. :werd:

zerotap
02-27-2004, 01:30 AM
Agree with you there Java. Not to mention the fact that XM is getting very popular now with tons of more stations. I travel at least 300-500 miles a week so it's worth spending the money to have good sound and tunes.
I suppose it all depends on ur budget and the amount of time u spend in ur car(500-600miles/week). I personally love the fact that I have commercial free radio available for any genre and News/Weather. Also I can get it cross country. I hate doing meet trips and losing 3 radio stations or more in one trip.