PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT, 4G ALTERNATOR / 4G HEATER CONTROLS

smufguy
02-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Well two months back, I got a problem with my stupid alternator and i was like fuck. also my climate controls sucked, cuz i hated the slider and by old age of the car, it started to stick and bind. Well fellas here is the solution

1. Alternator - 80 Amps - Efi Cars only

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/7702/100_4416.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=100_4416.jpg)

I went to autozone, got a 3g alternator and i was like, yo lemme see the 4g alternator, he brought it out, the lower mounting was exactly the same size in width. I was like hmmmm. The 4g alt is a 80amp and ours is only 65 amp. only $10 extra. I was like. Give me the 4g alternator. Brought it home fit it in perfect, all the clips go in great but the tilt was too much, Belt would not go over. So went to autozone got a couple of belts, even the dude was like, yo go behind the counter to the belt section and choose whatever u want and come and give it to me later. So i went there and found the right size belt ((the length i will give later)). put on the new belt, But it was kinda loose and the stock alt adjusting bolt was not long enough. So took a 10mm long bolt, the dist bolt and bolted the alt to the bracket and gook the adjusting bolt and put a non usable 3/8 inch socket on it and put the bolt back on and it works like a dream, im putting out 14.7 Volts under no load, and 13.2 Volts with everything on, high beams, fan, radio all doors open and trunk open with brake light on. so its more than good.

So yeah, with lil modification, it works like a draeam, i have put on 4000 Miles on it and its still going strong.

2. 4g heater contrls

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/6379/000_1114.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=000_1114.jpg)

You know the 4th gen accord has the knob style heater and fan controls right? Well it fits in perfectly and does not look like ass. My friend was like damn........ it looks better than stock. The black plastic on it matches our interrior plastic very good.

This is what you do. When u pull out the control from a 4g accord, take the clip connector in the back with long enough wires. U need the wires in the back with max slack.

THe wires are coded exactly the same way. so match it up and ur good.

The only problem is, the heater knob. It spins the other way than our 3g, so when u put it in cold, its warm, when u put it in warm, its cold. U have to spin the stupid coolent valve under the hood the other way around and hook up the cable.

The fan control on a 3g is 4speed and the 4g is 5speed, so u would be left out with a blue-red wire which is the max. U need to connect it directly to the blower input wire. and ur done

Im gonna be getting a digital cam in the next three weeks, so makre sure to check back for pic updates. :cool2:

NXRacer
02-26-2004, 08:23 AM
the 4g heater controls is an AWESOME mod. Good find man. And DEFFINATELY get some pictures.

If the 4g heater controls work, i wonder if the JDM digital control would work. . . . . . .http://www.geocities.com/n20_racing/smilies/hmm.txt

smufguy
02-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Caleb, i think Carotman mentioned it before that the 1st gen legend digital heater controls work with our cars, I dont know. I dont like the way they look. too subtle, besides, i hate electronic shit. I like knobs and its easier to turn it up and down. and simple to trouble shoot if something craps up on ya. :D

shepherd79
02-26-2004, 08:31 AM
good work.
i am going to pick up 4 gen alternator soon.

smufguy
02-26-2004, 08:41 AM
i will make sure i have a full write up on the how to with part numbers and what not for the alt mod. The belt length was crucial tho. Correct numbers for the spline width is also required.

THe 4g stock belt is way too big.

bobafett
02-26-2004, 12:10 PM
hey cool mods. im starting to hate my heater controls as well. pics would be awesome, since im not familiar with the 4g controls/

also how much did u pay for the 4g alternator? that seems like something i might want to look into when i get more stereo in my car. ;)

lightbulblxi
02-26-2004, 12:22 PM
sounds cool, i wanna see the heater controls.

smufguy
02-26-2004, 06:01 PM
with the core charge, i paid $85 for the BEck Arnely 4g alternator and the 3g alt with core was about $70. So i did not mind paying the extra 15 bucks for the extra 15 amps :D. besides, they are rebuilt Alternators. You can get the same Alt from Nopi for the same price but made by Bosch so i would say get that. I had to get this cause i needed it immediately and my alt died the night before i was going to see my gf in North Carolina. But yeah, Def Get the Bosch from Nopi, if u wanna do the conversion. U might pay the shipping for the core and the part, but its defenitely worth the money for the Bosch.

I dont know when i would get the pics, but i promise i would get the pics up soon. I still gotta get the knobs from the dude selling them in the market place, but he is too late to respond, Damn noobs :D :D :D

shepherd79
02-27-2004, 09:04 AM
the only problem i see is that 4g alternator puts out 13.5v vs 14v on 3g alternator.

Justin86
02-27-2004, 09:52 AM
might be a good mod for the guys with high out put stereos.

smufguy
02-27-2004, 04:40 PM
the only problem i see is that 4g alternator puts out 13.5v vs 14v on 3g alternator.

Alex, mine puts out 14.7V under no load. Like i mentioned, even the 3g alt does not put 14V under a load like that. I put out 13.2V under full load like i mentioend,

shepherd79
02-28-2004, 05:01 AM
cool. i know my alternator puts out 14.4v all the way. with a full load it drops to 13.7v

NXRacer
03-09-2004, 01:45 PM
so where are the pictures of the climate control mod? I wanna see how it was done. Im planning on doing that very soon.

DanLXI88
03-09-2004, 02:35 PM
cool. i know my alternator puts out 14.4v all the way. with a full load it drops to 13.7v
Are the alternators a pain to replace on the 3g ? Hadn't had to do mine yet.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't mind switching to the knob style climate control.

NXRacer
03-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Are the alternators a pain to replace on the 3g ? Hadn't had to do mine yet.

its really easy. The easiest way to do it is to take off the stock intake box and pull it out next to the fire wall. Unbolting it and stuff is really straight foward.

smufguy
03-09-2004, 05:27 PM
I dont have a digital camera, my roomate has one, but his house is 50 miles from our apt so he never really goes there. I ordered a cam like two weeks ago and it should be here around next week or so. I will post it soon.

Also NJ meet on the 27th of this month, guys who come there would get to see it in person. Two of the bulbs are shot in it, so i have to replace them and also i need to get the knobs, cause yeah i stole the control from the junkyard :D

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Badass and a great idea! How did you remove it? They let us walk and get the stuff ourselves so I could probably get it for free. Why can't you just replace the bulbs in the knobs?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 05:33 PM
I think there's a 4G accord at the wreckers here.

smufguy
03-09-2004, 05:34 PM
the bulbs are in the backside like our control unit. but they use bigger bulbs. they have like five 4gs in the junkyard, but everysingle one of em have their knobs taken out. Im driving around with just one knob off a stupid neon, cause its the only one that i can use to turn the heat or fan. so yeah its ghetto as hell. i want the knobs real bad.

IF ANYONE HAVE ACCESS TO TWO 4G CONTROL KNOBS, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PM ME :( I NEED THEM REALLLLLL BAD.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Well if I don't get the climate control unit for myself I could probably just jack the knobs for you. Do they just pull right off? If the climate control thing is as cool as I think it is I will probably just get the unit but I will keep and eye out for the knobs for you man.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Oh and when you do this:

U have to spin the stupid coolent valve under the hood the other way around and hook up the cable.

It fixes the knob direction so when it's on warm it comes out warm like normal? Couldnt we just modify the knobs and switch the colors somehow?

smufguy
03-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks a bunch mike, yeah the knobs just pull out right. If they dont, u can pry em out with a flathead screwdriver.

The coolant valve in the engine bay need to be turned upside down to change the warm and cold settings inside the cabin. You cant paint the sticker on the climate control because they are in plastic and i dont know how u would get it off, besides, I still have to change the valve upside down, i did not have time and i still dont have time as of yet. Next week is my spring break, so i should be able to do it. its all cause when the cable pulls on the valve, it opens it but instead, when u turn the knob to cold (on the 4g control) it actually pushes it, so u get cold air and vice versa.

Mike, i like the 4g climate controls because they are kinda modern, no lettering on them, but pics, and the sliders are gone, and the knobs are more easier to do. Besides, the fan control is a 5speed than our 4spd stock one. Also, its not too modern for our 3g either, so it goes well, Besides, i did this because i hated the slider. When we got the 4th gen, i loved the knobs, so i figured, i will use it, i had the jacked up one for a while until last month or so, i put it in and it worked right off.

Here is the fun part, u dont have to drill a hole or anything, but you do have to use a dremel or what not and use a circular sanding disc to take off extra plastic from the inside. When i get the Digital cam, i will take close up pics of what you guys need to cut and stuff. its more of just taking material off, even if u take a lot off, its not gonna hurt, its hidden behind the controls anyway. :D

HERE IS THE PIC OF IT FROM SOME 4G ONLINE (iT AINT MINE SO DONT BE SCARED :d)

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/12/web/396000-396999/396580_41_full.jpg

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 08:15 PM
I was just going to ask you if this was the controls you were talking about but I guess you already answered that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33545&item=2464281889

I'm very good with a dremel so I think I can do that ok. I really don't know if I like them too much but you know what they're better than whats in there. And it's cool to add newer things to spruce things up in there. So how do the buttons work? I mean is there a wire harness that or something? I haven't taken it out before so I'm a virgin at ripping that part of the car out.

And do you have any tips on quick removal of the climate control out of the 4G accord?

smufguy
03-10-2004, 05:55 AM
since i was ripping the control off a car from the junkyard, i just broke the damn vents on top. and the trim around the climate controls and radio just pops out. there are only 4 screws as u can see, 2 on top and 2 on bottom, phillips head.

ONce they are removed, the control just drops out, pull it out and turn it upside down to get to the place where the cable is attached to (For the heater) and remove it, but keep the place plate and screw.

Then you need to cut the wires, NOT UNCLIP, but cut the wires. Pull the harness and control unit as far as u can and give yourself enoug slack in the wiring, and use a wirecutter and cut the wires. So u got the clips connected to the control, but have cut wires at the end.

After this its easy, Go home, rip the 3g heater controls apart, pull the wires out and cut them very close to the clips. then match the 4g and 3g wire codes (they are exactly the same) and all the position control wires match up.

The fan control wires match up too, but one extra wire (Blue/red) is left out, this wire is the 5th fan speed on the 4g, but our 3g only has 4spd. So u need to hook this blue/red wire directly to the 3g blower motor positive side or lead side wire harness (i still havent done it, but the electrical schmeatic should help). :D

Mike's89AccordLX
03-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Hey dude I couldn't find any 90-93 accords, but I saw a 90 legend and I was like I could maybe use that lip that's on it and then I looked inside to find leather interior. And I was imagining my car with leather and then I saw that the mirrors were heated and I measured the triangle part and they were the same as ours. And second of all I saw that the car had factory foglights that had the glass broken and I told the guy that I would be interested in them and the switch. Those foglights looked like they would fit our cars since that car had them in the same spot and same type of spot. I believe that they have motors to retract and to go down. So what do you guys think? And even better I got a nice freebie while I was there. I got the climate control from the legend, and guess what it's exactly the same as the 90-93 accord one, but the dials are on the right side of the control unit. I'm cool with that so I will have to see if the wires are correct. It had a bunch of wires so I cut about 8" back and put it in my toolbox :) So I guess if it doesnt work no biggie, but I think it will.

I paid $10 for the legend lip and they will remove the foglights for me and he said it will be really cheap for them since they're broken. So probably under $10 for those too. I don't know if I want the heated mirrors b/c I don't know what I would have to remove with all the relays and stuff that I would need for them. I thought it was kinda cool all the features the 90 Acura Legend had.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Here's a pic of the one I got from the junkyard today. They look pretty close huh?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33545&item=2464830521

shepherd79
03-10-2004, 12:52 PM
ok, smufguy i want to see them in 3 geez. if you have a picture email it to me at [email protected] and i will post it.
Plus where is the part number for the belt, you promissed.

accordlxi2.0
03-10-2004, 01:27 PM
cool . . . smuf that's a nice idea, i just did my own hi-performance ground wiring.
but i hate to be a pain in tha ass but the 4g alt is putting out what i'm putting out on my car.

smufguy
03-11-2004, 12:53 AM
Forget about the voltage, the amps is what that counts :D

Alex, ill get it up tomorrow. I been busy with my projects and midterms for school buddy. I promise ill get it to you soon, Most likely tomorrow.

smufguy
03-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Forget about the voltage, the amps is what that counts :D

Alex, ill get it up tomorrow. I been busy with my projects and midterms for school buddy. I promise ill get it to you soon, Most likely tomorrow.

Mike, that is cool shit. I cant find a Legend with those controls, all i can find are those stupid automatic digital controls :(

accordlxi2.0
03-11-2004, 06:04 AM
man how come u did'nt discover this before i bought an efi alternator.

smufguy
03-11-2004, 08:49 AM
man how come u did'nt discover this before i bought an efi alternator.

:d sorry man, it just popped up in my head. THe new gen accords use a 120 amp one if im not mistaken. :D

smufguy
03-11-2004, 03:12 PM
okay here is the part number for the belt fellas its 380K5 - 5PK965 its the belt from autozone. :D Do note that the bracket on top of the ALT needs to be modified with a longer bolt cause the hole in the bracket does not quiet match up with the one on the alt. So ur better off using a 10mm bolt from the dist (efi Dist) and using it to hold the alt to the bracket, i have had it for almost 5K miles and nothing came loose.

accordlxi2.0
03-11-2004, 06:55 PM
i would need a cap for that 120amp's.
as for this 4g a/c control panel it should just go in right?

smufguy
03-11-2004, 11:01 PM
i would need a cap for that 120amp's.
as for this 4g a/c control panel it should just go in right?

yeah, the 4g control panel goes in just right.

Note: Before anyone does this 4g control panel swap, lemme post a pic so u guys decide if u guys like it or not. I dont want you fellas to buy it and do everythign and not like it :D

Mike's89AccordLX
03-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Well I suppose I could wait a little longer. Hey smufguy can you talk to me on AIM or MSN? I'm curious about the wires connected to the Legend control panel.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Here's a couple pics of my legend control unit. I was hoping smufguy could help me with the wires and such.

smufguy
03-12-2004, 01:56 PM
MIke, i am not sure about the coding on the wires from the position controls and the fan controls. If you can give it to me, i can see if they are right.

95% of the time the wiring code is the same. But to double check it, u can use the trial and error method. The 4g controls were way too easy. Dont worry about the wire thickness but just match up the colors/stripes. You should be fine. But like i said, The legend wiring code is not with me. The only guy i can think of is Paul (Russia) get hold of him and ask him if he has a scan of the 'Heater' wiring schematic for the 1st gen Legend and im sure he has it.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Well there's 16 wires coming out of the plug-in.

I don't know what wires are what but here's the colors.

Yellow
Grey
Brown
Yellow/green stripe
Blue/orange stripe
Blue
Red
Red/black stripe
Black/yellow stripe
Black
Green/red stripe
Blue/red stripe
Orange/white stripe
Green/black stripe
Blue/black stripe
Blue/green stripe

So yeah I hope they are the same color.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Here's a pic of the front of my climate control unit.

smufguy
03-13-2004, 07:13 AM
for the 4th gen, this is all the wires i have for the function switches

Blue
Blue/Red
Red
Red/Black
Yellow/Green
Green/red
Lt.green/red
Green/white
Blue/Red
Green
Yellow/black
Black
Lt.Green/Black
Lt.Green/White

These wiring codes for the position controls are the same as the 3g, so Mike see if urs match these wiring codes, if they do 95% of the time you should be good by just matching up these to the 3g wire codes, Also the same for fan control. They are two different sets of wire clips so dont mix them up.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-13-2004, 08:09 AM
Well I printed off both of our wires and drew lines to match up ones.

I got 8 matches right off the bat.

And some seemed to maybe work. like the colors were backwards on some and then they would match.

I got one more matched if I switched the colors on yours. I did notice that there were 2 blue/reds on your list. Was that a typo maybe?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Here's the Legend wiring:

Yellow
Grey
Brown
Yellow/green stripe
Blue/orange stripe
Blue
Red
Red/black stripe
Black/yellow stripe
Black
Green/red stripe
Blue/red stripe
Orange/white stripe
Green/black stripe
Blue/black stripe
Blue/green stripe

And here's the 3G Accord wiring:

Blue
Blue/Red
Red
Red/Black
Yellow/Green
Green/red
Lt.green/red
Green/white
Blue/Red
Green
Yellow/black
Black
Lt.Green/Black
Lt.Green/White

I printed these off and then drew lines to match them up but you can see that 8 for sure match. 8 or of 14 is more than half so I'm optimistic. I'm going to try and find out which wires go to each button on both climate controls when I go to school on Monday. Then I could just match the wires up to the buttons. But I'm assuming the 8 wires that matched are from the buttons already. B/c each controls have 8 buttons so that's why I figure that I will need to find out what the fan wires are for and so on. What do you think smufguy?

smufguy
03-13-2004, 10:44 PM
well the legend seems to have 16 wires and the 3g seems to have 14 so like you said, there is 2 extra wires on the legend. The thing is, the position buttons are the same, LIke the vent, heat front defrost and stuff, they should be the same or to be exact, they are same number of wires for them. But the fan is what we need to worry about which is to say, how many wires come off the fan knob? the legend has two clip connectors on the back right? Can u get a pic of the whole rear of the control from the legend?

Seems like u need to just match it up tho. It should not be a problem. :D

Mike's89AccordLX
03-14-2004, 07:38 AM
There's only one plugin connector with wires. The pic is kinda bad but it shows it just only one connector. So I think all of the wires from the knobs just are in that plugin.

jayp6969
03-14-2004, 09:51 AM
mint....im makin a trip 2 the wreakers monday

smufguy
03-30-2004, 07:46 PM
well could not get the pic of the alt yet cause it was kinda gloomy but here is the heater controls,

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504672_26_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504672_27_full.jpg

I just need the knobs to look better, but i like it, i think it kinda looks funky in the pics tho. :dunno:

AccordEpicenter
04-30-2004, 10:36 AM
i gotta see pics of the 4g climate control mod. I have a 140 amp custom rewound alt and it kicked serious ass especially when i had the system... The amp alone drew about 80-90 amps... you need big alts when pushing serious wattage

Mike's89AccordLX
04-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Smufguy you could just buy my heater controls for cheap and then take those knobs. They're in great shape and the price is fairly cheap too.

smufguy
05-01-2004, 03:53 AM
Smufguy you could just buy my heater controls for cheap and then take those knobs. They're in great shape and the price is fairly cheap too.

Mike, the acura and honda knobs are different in the back. The acura ones are circular, but the honda ones have a flat notch on the top.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Ahh.... I didn't know that.

Low Tek
08-18-2004, 02:32 PM
so the 89 legend does fit for sure? I have the chance of gettin one, if so.

http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/1b/77/5a_1_b.JPG

this one right?

smufguy
08-19-2004, 09:03 PM
to be honest Low tek, i dont know. U need to get the wiring code for it before u can purchase the unit. MIke got his legend controller and now he is going with the 4th gen accord one like mine cause the wiring is pretty straight forward.

thegreatdane
08-29-2004, 10:51 AM
this one right?

That looks like a digital climate control panel so that wouldnt work with your A/C..

Mike's89AccordLX
09-06-2004, 07:51 AM
Yep got my 4G climate controls in finally. The auction said JDM 89 Climate control but I knew it was for the 4th gen since the 89 jdm cars are 90 usdm cars here. But on any note all of the wires and plugins are connected to it still and it is in decent shape. Got it for $9.99 :) I did a test fit b/c I couldn't wait and put it in but it wouldn't go in all the way since I haven't dremeled anything yet.

I will double check the wires before I start anything.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Smufguy I have some questions that other people might need to know.

Do we only need to use the 14 wire connector and the 6 wire speed connector? Do we need to do anything with the other connectors? What exactly do we need to sand out to fit in into the dash? (Is it just that entire plastic bracket above where the cd player is? Or is it just part of the plastic bracket?) How does the climate control unit mount into the dash? Do I need to cut off any of the 4 screw hole brackets on the climate control unit? Does it just fit tightly into place and not need any screws?

Here's some pics of my climate control unit and the connectors with wires. And pictured are some extra connectors I'm not sure if I need but they came with the unit.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-06-2004, 11:09 AM
Another pic of the climate control unit.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Do I need these connectors?

Mike's89AccordLX
09-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Sorry for all the posts but I wanted the pictures to be shown and not linked b/c most people won't take the time to goto the link. Thanks again smufguy. Oh and I was wondering if you know where I could get those 2 little lights on the back of the climate control unit in another color? I was thinking red or blue but I can't seem to get the tiny bulbs out of the little plastic holders. I'm starting to think that I won't be able to pull them out.... I was hoping maybe you got them out somehow and found out what bulbs they were. All I can tell is that they are 14V and 14Watt bulbs.

smufguy
09-07-2004, 04:01 AM
hey mike, this is what i did for the fan bro. from the 3g fan clip, i removed the wires along with the metal clip still attached to them. To do this, u have to pry out the inside metal clip with a small screwdriver and they look like the regular connector. Match the wire color to the 4g unit and just slip it on.

The wires coming outta the 3g (the male end) cut then all and then use a splice connector or butt connector and match the wire codes to the 4g clip (with wires) and splice the 3g wire to the 4g wire. << you dont need the 3g clips u can throw it away >>

The small bulbs will be hard to remove, but they are possible to pull out. I just switched it out with the bulbs from the gauge cluster i guess. i am not sure.

To help you out more mike, i will take a picture of my wiring tomorrow and post it here for you to see. sorry my explanations are not quite understandable :(

OH the temperature knob, u need to keep the 4g knob on heat to blow cold air, and cold to blow hot air. Kinda weird, but i have to fix it one day.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Sounds good I think I kind of understand what you're trying to say. I mainly need to know what to sand out with the dremel. And you said all the wires will match right up except for one red one am I correct?

Thanks,
Mike

smufguy
09-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Sounds good I think I kind of understand what you're trying to say. I mainly need to know what to sand out with the dremel. And you said all the wires will match right up except for one red one am I correct?

Thanks,
Mike

the only wire that will be left out is the wire for the 5th fan speed controller on the 4g. i wanna make my fan blow even more, but i guess its maxed out at the 4th speed.

Once i take a pic of the holder, u will see how it is and what to sand down will be clearly marked. Ill post one tomorrow bro. :)

Mike's89AccordLX
09-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Any pics on the holder for the controls yet? I was just anxious to get my car back together :) I don't want to rush you though b/c I know how busy people can get and stuff.

-Mike

smufguy
09-12-2004, 08:58 PM
not yet mike. my friend was out of town. But im going there tomorrow to work on my car, ill take some pics then. sorry man. but u know ill get it soon. :)

Mike's89AccordLX
09-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Sounds good. Thanks for helping us out with this mod by the way.

smufguy
09-13-2004, 07:31 PM
not a problem man. sorry i could not do it today either. i was just not at his house cause i was busy with my school stuff. But ill see him tomorrow and the day after, so i promise to take a picture then. u will see its not hard at all. Ill take a closer pic of how it looks before i take it off. I just put there now, but i will soon do it perfectly. but sorry to keep u waiting bro.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Any word yet? :sadwave:

Mike's89AccordLX
09-26-2004, 09:41 AM
bump :(

smufguy
09-26-2004, 11:16 PM
CLICK THE PICS TO ENLARGE

here is the bolt you wanna use. Its a 5/8" machine bolt from walmart. It costs only $0.85 or something like that.

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/2089/100_4414.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=100_4414.jpg)

This is how the alternator mounting looks like. I used it ghetto way with a big nut, two washers and one lock washer. Any other bolt other than machine bolt, will get bent with tension and will snap. I have had many bolts snap. but this one, has lasted about 4K miles While other lasted about 500 miles.

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/7702/100_4416.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=100_4416.jpg)

smufguy
09-26-2004, 11:49 PM
Click the Pics for bigger Version.

Before you start anythign, you need to sand down the stock plastic from the old 3g control location.

1) Full shot

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/7677/fullfront.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=fullfront.jpg)

2) Sanded down bottom and top

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/3396/bottom7.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=bottom7.jpg)

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/4779/bottomleft.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=bottomleft.jpg)

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/9002/topleft.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=topleft.jpg)

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/8650/right4.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=right4.jpg)

3) Once this is done, ur good to move to the 4g unit and sand down the top two mounting holes.

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/6745/unittop.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=unittop.jpg)

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/7360/unittopleft.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=unittopleft.jpg)

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/6659/unittopright.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=unittopright.jpg)

4) After this is done, u can move on to the wiring. Just match up the colors like i said and install spade connectors on the fan control leads to make it easier to plug into the female receiver on the 3g wiring harness.

a) position and light wires

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/5628/wiring1.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=wiring1.jpg)

b) fan control wires

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/9320/wiring2.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=wiring2.jpg)

5) after all this is done. just slide the unit in place and just hold in by scres. The screws are held in bwt the weight of the 4g control itself and the ridge of the 3g dash plastic. No holes need to be drilled and the unit will not pop off.

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/7236/unitbottom.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=unitbottom.jpg)

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/5536/unitbottomr.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=unitbottomr.jpg)

Final Product

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/7124/installed.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=installed.jpg)

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/6379/000_1114.th.jpg (http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=000_1114.jpg)

smufguy
09-26-2004, 11:51 PM
sorry about the long overdue Mike. I hope this gives a clear understanding of what u have to do. its nothing hard a dremel and a cylinderical sanding disc cannot do ;)

Mike's89AccordLX
09-27-2004, 04:20 AM
It's ok and nice how to man that was pretty damn good. I'm going to have to do the alternator one when I do the efi swap. Have you had any ideas for hiding the gap on the sides and bottom of the 4G unit?

smufguy
09-27-2004, 06:01 AM
not yet, but i think using a mesh grill (the gutter guard) and using bondo would solve the problem and next year, i have to under take it.

But as of now, the gap is not evident at all.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-27-2004, 08:13 AM
Now smufguy what do I do with the green wire that goes from the fan control to the other connector? It goes to both connectors for the 4g controls. I got the sanding done in like 4 minutes and the thing looks really sweet in there it just fits like a glove.

Now it's just the wiring left. Now the 4G controls that I have said JDM 89 Accord but that would be the USDM 90 Accord. I doubt the wire colors are different but they might be. Who knows it's probably just a USDM control unit anyways you know how ebay is :)

smufguy
09-27-2004, 09:03 AM
i think its for the illumination. For the 3g it was seperate, while the 4g was integrated. The wire code is similar as the pic shows. Its just straight forward wiring. The only wire that should be left out is the blue with red.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Alright I have mine all wired up now but the 4g unit won't stay in the dash even with screws like you said.

I'm going to get some 3m double sided tape from work and wrap it around the 4G unit and see if it will hold it in.... Otherwise I will have to do some drilling and put screws to hold it in.

Also my vent cover won't stay down either, it kinda pops up on the pass side. It does look badass I have to say but I will just have to manage to fit it in there better. I bet I sanded a little too much of the sides b/c I sanded those flush with the sides. Oh well we will get it figured out somehow.

-Mike

smufguy
09-27-2004, 07:53 PM
im sorry i could not contact you. I got the messages to my phone via the msn messenger, but i replied back (i was not home) to get in touch with u, but aparently it didnt work. Im glad everything works.

As for the vent popping out, mine dont do that. As u can see in the pic, i sanded it down step by step making sure it kinda caught it in. Thats why u can see not everything is sanded down in full or flush cause there will be no place to hold it in.

The only thing is gonna be that, when the knob is in heat, u will get cold air, when the knob is in cold, u will get heat. I gotta see if i can fiddle with the controller outside (in the engine bay) to see if i can flip it upside down to get it to work.

The wiring is straight forward. The thick wires are for the fan (they are right behind the fan knob) and the thin ones are for the position controls and illumination. So all u had to do was plug the 4g fan wires and the 3g fan wires first, and then matched up the rest of the thin wires to the 3g stock wiring. I got that done in about 15 mts (damn butt connectors :( ) and it lighted up with no prob and no short. Thank god honda did not switch up the wiring.

ALso, i had to check the 3g wiring dig and the 4g dig before i started to wire it up and they all went in the exact same place.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-28-2004, 04:34 AM
Hey Smufguy I noticed this last night... are the knobs supposed to light up? If so are those operated by the blue/red wires? Mine don't light up.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-28-2004, 09:10 AM
I actually found that all the wires for the position and illumination control wires matched up except for 1 pair. There was 1 red wire from the 3G wiring and 1 black wire from the 4G wiring. I just connected them anyways hoping it was going to work. I wasn't sure which blue/red wires went with each wire since there were 2 blue/red wires coming from each set of wires. My knobs don't light up do you know if the blue/red wires are for the knobs? If so do you think I got them mixed up?

I'm putting tiny L brackets to hold the unit into the dash. It probably won't look as nice but it's better than having it hang out of the dash :)

smufguy
09-28-2004, 03:06 PM
yeah even tho the location are different, the wires are the same, the only thing u should have left out is the blue with red stripe from the fan control .

If your position contols light up and not the knobs, its the blub connection behind the 4g unit is fucked. its a siingle bulb that lights up just the two knobs. I have the same problem and mine is not illuminated, so at night, it looks funky, but it looks cool at the same time :) anyway, if thats the case, then check it behind the unit and wiggle it and u will see it light up. Put some tape or something to hold it in , even a small vibration like a bump in the road wil make it go out (if it was lit in the first place).

Im adding you in my aol on my phone, so that i can message u if u get any more problems.

also, try to put the "L" bracket from under the car or even by removing the radio or something. So that it will be conceled. I think its just u sanded too much like you said. But its cool. Im working on relocating this in the future but i am not sure. I might move it down to where the stereo is and have my monitor where the vent controls were. that way it will be much cleaner and i can actually look at the screen kinda straight and not down. but only problem is, the controls will be a lil down, but il dont mind.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-28-2004, 09:02 PM
Here some pic's of the 3G ALTERNATOR and 4G ALTERNATOR i hope helps some of you http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/359000-359999/359877_101_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/359000-359999/359877_102_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/359000-359999/359877_103_full.jpg

Mike's89AccordLX
09-28-2004, 09:13 PM
Alright I found out that when I have my headlights on the hot/cold bars light up and the knobs light up but they are very dim. I tried using my dimmer thats in the 3g and it didnt work. Its cool though at least I know they sorta work.

-Mike

P.S. I have been watching my Volt gauge everytime I drive the car making sure there's not a short anywhere in the car. Everything seems to be good so hopefully it will stay like that.

smufguy
09-28-2004, 09:44 PM
get some pics up mike. i wanna see the worlds second dude with a 4g controls :)

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-28-2004, 11:25 PM
I had to mod the Alternator Bracket a little http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/359000-359999/359877_104_full.jpg

Mike's89AccordLX
09-29-2004, 07:54 AM
Smufguy I have got to say I'm very happy with something I did today. I was cleaning out my toolbox at school and I saw one of the many assortment things my dad bought me and one of the boxes was of U-Clips and Screws. Well I was like LIGHTBULB! I put 2 of the little clips on the edge that's above the cd player. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Well you just place them so they will line up with the 4g climate control holes underneath and viola! I put them in and that thing is Solid! And the screws are hidden and it looks factory like. I will get pics up today. And also I have a ton of these clips and screws so if you want I could send you 2 or 3 in an envelope to you so you can have yours securely mounted.

But yeah I will take pics of the unit and the clips and screws I used. Man it look cool to be one of the only 2 3g accords in the world to have done this mod. It does look good and it really was easy to hook up. It was just hard to figure out how to mount it good and now that I got that figured out it's all good :)

Mike's89AccordLX
09-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Here we go.... I'm going to get some of this black foam that's about 1/8" thick from work to put on the sides to clean the look up a little.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/322549_130_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/322549_131_full.jpg

U-Clip and screw I used. Even had the pic that came with the box of stuff so you know the size to use. I will send you a few of these if you want Smufguy b/c you have help me and the site by posting pics and your info.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/322549_132_full.jpg

You can see the ridge I put the clip on and you can't even see the clip behind the bracket of the 4g unit. All of that stuff is not noticible unless you bend down on your hands and knees and look up at it. It's all hidden and looks good.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/322549_133_full.jpg

And here's a far away shot to show you what the driver would see. And I added an item that is my newer mod that I'm going to be installing :)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/322549_134_full.jpg

I hope these pics help. And let me know about those clips Smufguy.

smufguy
09-29-2004, 10:54 AM
that looks nice mike. Awsome job man. Yeah those are clips we use on our stock mudflaps and the bumper corners to hold the bumper to the brace. Nice touch. Yeah i was think exactly the same about the black foam to get my LCD screen to put in. But i was more towards the styrofoam stuff cause its easier and readily available from packaging stuff and what not. But even expandable foam works wonders.

its funny we both got the same color interiors, but i dont have a turbo steering wheel :(

Mike's89AccordLX
09-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Hehehe or Crane ignition system :) That's my new mod sitting down by my cd player :)

Maroon interiors Rock :) !!!!