PDA

View Full Version : Head unit works but but no sound

Dibbs
02-26-2004, 09:14 AM
This is for my 4th gen but I figure this is a general audio question so that's why I put it here.

I plugged my head unit back up and it seems to work fine but there's no sound coming out of the speakers. These speakers were fairly new aftermarket ones when I got the car and I've checked the EQ and levels on the head unit but everything looks fine. I checked the wiring harness and there doesn't seem to be any loose connections in the speaker wires so what's up? Also, there's a de-activated alarm on this car that has been giving me hell ever since I put the new engine in. This alarm makes the doors lock randomly, interior lights flash on and off all when the module starts clicking. I want to just disconnect the connector from the module but I can't seem to find a way to get the connector off the module so I can hook it back up to the old dash connector. Could this be part of the reason the speakers aren't delivering any sound? Any help would be nice. Thanks

HostileJava
02-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Do u have an ohm meter? Pull the harness out of the radio and check for continuity on the pins that go to each speaker.

Vinny
02-26-2004, 09:42 AM
C'mon Dibbs how can it work fine if theres no sound comming out of the speakers????? I doubt its a speaker problem if none of them work. If its an aftermarket try putting it in the 3rd gen and see if it plays there. If not we know what that means As far as checking speakers without a meter, hook a 9v batter to the speaker leads, you should hear a pop.....old school baby

HostileJava
02-26-2004, 10:11 AM
Well I actually wanted tim to stick the meter leads into the harness to make sure there is continuity from the harness all the way to the speaker. I figure it's probably not likely that all speaker connections are loose, but if that's not he case. I'd say ur HU is FU.

Edit: If you have RCA outs do u get any output from them?

Dibbs
02-26-2004, 01:23 PM
C'mon Dibbs how can it work fine if theres no sound comming out of the speakers????? I doubt its a speaker problem if none of them work. If its an aftermarket try putting it in the 3rd gen and see if it plays there. If not we know what that means As far as checking speakers without a meter, hook a 9v batter to the speaker leads, you should hear a pop.....old school baby

By it working fine I mean that the cd goes in and plays, just there's no sound coming from the speakers. I've got an ohm setting on my multimeter and I'll check for continuity but I agree Hostile I just can't see all the speakers being bad and the HU working.