PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Ground Control Masters....

JRSAccord
02-26-2004, 09:45 AM
I did a search on "rear sway bar" but didn't find the answer to my question....

Is it possible to mount a rear sway bar from an '88-'89LXi to my '86LX???

I was hoping to start on my suspension next, since I'm almost finished with my B20A swap. Can I get the parts from a junk yard or do I have to look for a special kit (if there is one)? I found out by searching that the '88-'89LXi front bars are larger than what I have, so I may just go get one of those and save some money.

Any suggestions???

shepherd79
02-26-2004, 10:08 AM
it will bolt right up with no modifications.
just remember to get all the bushings when you remove from a junkyard car.

HostileJava
02-26-2004, 10:42 AM
How come my 89 Sei Coupe didn't come with a rear sway bar? That's always somthing that bothered me. Should there be one there?

smufguy
02-26-2004, 10:46 AM
well, since ur spending money, spend a little more and get the suspension Technics Sway bar for the rear. They come with all the bushings u need and they are urathane by the way and its from Nopi, u can also get it from summit if you want. Do check it out tho.

Hollow sway bars are better than solid, due to counter sear in the inside surface. This resists a given torsion more than the reg solid sway bars.

JRSAccord
02-26-2004, 11:02 AM
But if I pull both swaybars from an '89LXi, they'll match. How will the ST rear swaybar react with the stock front? I would think that you would want balanced handeling, unless there's something I'm missing here. Is there a front ST swaybar as well???

Vinny
02-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Doesn't the Susp tech sway's come as a front and rear kit??????? Thats definitely the way I'd go. I know a few people who have said thats the best 250 they spent on their car, definitely a noticable difference in handling even if they already had swaybars

RobT5580
02-26-2004, 12:55 PM
I have the Suspension Tech kit and it comes with both front and rear with all the hardware and bushings you need.

Vinny
02-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Is it worth the 250 rob? I was thinkin about upgrading mine, I've heard it well worth it. More so that say strut bars

JRSAccord
02-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Just called Nopi... they said the ST swaybar is a "kit", having both the front and the rear swaybars for $249.90 and since I have an LX model, I will need the adapter kit for the rear as well. It costs $15.50

I also called the local salvage yard to find out that they will sell both swaybars and hardware off an '89LXi for $70.00+tax. Can I use the hardware from the donor car, or will I have to buy the adapter kit anyways?

If I can save enough $$$, I'll be able to get coils and shocks as well. :cool2:

RobT5580
02-26-2004, 04:41 PM
I dont recall paying that much for them but it was a while ago so i dont remember. The problem i have is that i did my entire suspension at the same time so i can say how well they are on their own. I installed F/R Strut bars, Koni struts, H&R Springs, and my wheels. But in comparison to my other accord with just Eibacks and Tokicos i can say they definatly were worth it and the car is real firm with back and forth motion. I am real happy with my current setup i am going to get Ground Control coilover though because i want the front to come down a bit plus i want to be able to adjust it when i put the xenon kit on. But overall id say the sway bars were worth it but Jim did say i should get the larger addco rear bar...

smufguy
02-26-2004, 05:53 PM
well, call up summit, i would say suspension techniques is the way to go, like vinny mentioned. Its worth it, believe me. Check out the details on their suspension website before you get it. Summit is defenitely the people i would contact before buying, also, u might be able to get them online for a lot cheaper if u may, from regular online stores or ebay if ur comfortable in getting from them.

But from Rob's last post, do check out Addco rear bar, see how they are, if they are good for your budget, do buy them, cause when Jim says something and he insists, then yeah you SHOULD get that cause that man knows what he is talkin about

JRSAccord
02-26-2004, 08:12 PM
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
:bow: :bow: :bow:
:bow: :bow: JIM
:bow:

I'll give Summit a call tomorrow. Is this where I can find the Addco swaybar? Plus, what coil/strut combo would go good with this setup?

smufguy
02-27-2004, 07:17 AM
well, i like stiffer ride so i got myself the last new set of Konis, and progress which are really good with the Konis. I dont experience bounce and car just friggin sticks at curves and man..... i dont know how many gs i pull, but soon enough i should know. im still on stock tires with crappy ass camber, i should be doing something about it pretty soon.

me personally dont like coilovers and its just me, i dont adjust them often cause i dont need to, so there is no use for me in it. BUt yeah, look at the suspension section and the first three or four threads and jim explained it all. Check with him, pm him and he will give you the perfect combos.

You have in mind what kinda set up u want, autocross, superstuff, mild stiff, a little bit stiffer than stock and what not and Jim will exactly give you the combos.

JRSAccord
02-27-2004, 09:28 AM
I just read thru the threads, Jim is the Man!

I'll take up your advice. I want to have mild-stiff to medium-stiff ride control and no coilovers. I think a 1.5"-2.0" drop would be suitable look for our cars. I rough roads and light-rail/railroad tracks to contend with in my daily commute.

RobT5580
02-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Yeah Jim is the man for suspension work my car rides nice for a daily driver and also sticks to the road like a glove.