PDA

View Full Version : New Oil Pressure Gauge

damnthesenames
02-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Ok, seeing as I have my head off, I pulled off the unit that the oil filter screws onto. There is a sensor that is screwed in that allows a single wire to plug onto it. If i were going to add an aftermarket oil pressure gauge, mechanical or electrical, how would I go about doing so? I am quite sure that for an electrical I would NOT hook it up to the current sending uint... what would I hook it upto? For a mechanical would I replace this unit all together? If someone could explain the two that would be great...

Thanks Everyone...

_ Justin

damnthesenames
03-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Bump back up

eightyfivelude
03-01-2004, 01:48 PM
ok.. if you wanna throw on an after market guage like an autometer, you have to do some work. The old sending unit will not work with an aftermarket guage. So you have to take that out. Now you have a hole with threads. Threads that are 10x.9 metric. You are now screwed cause as far as I could find, no one makes an adaptor to fit that thread. Smallest to be found is 10x1.0. You have to drill the hole out larger and retap it to fit a new fitting. Very carefully, i used a drill press, you must center the housing and drill out the hole to a bigger size. I can't remember the bit size and I am at school right now. Once the hole is drilled you will have to tap new threads into it. Depending on the size of the fitting you are goin to use. The hole size will also depend on this. Now for the fun part. The sending unit found on most aftermakret guages is huge, it will not fit on without hitting the coolant pipe at the back of the engine. You will have to use a series of fittings, 1 adaptor, 1 spacer, and one 90 degree elbow to make it work. The adaptor raises it up
so the sending unit doesn't hit the oil filter. I will post some pics of mine as soon as I can. You must be very careful while drilling and tapping as not to screw up the housing. I took me two tries to get it just right. Once you get it all sorted out, the new sending unit is a single wire hookup and you just need to run it through a grommet on the firewall.

If you need anymore help let me know,

Also if you want to make this a how to, I will gladly take some pictures and stuff (att moderators) This will work on all A20, ET-2, ET-1 etc...

Matt

bobafett
03-01-2004, 07:12 PM
tunertoys.com makes a fitting that screws into the oil filter housing that will allow:

2 x aftermarket low volume lines, such as oil feed to turbo, or mechanical oil pressure gauge

1 x stock sized hole at the end so you can retain the stock sending unit and keep the worthless dummy light.

eightyfivelude
03-01-2004, 10:38 PM
well... after reading the article... you would realize that the thread on your little adapter thingy there, is 1/8 BSPT but the oil filter housing on our cars as a 10x.9 thread..hmm, don't think it's gonna work.. don't wanna sound like an ass.. but maybe do some more reasearch before given out ideas. I don't want someone to buy something they can't use :cheers:

Matt

damnthesenames
03-02-2004, 01:17 AM
Thank you for your information. I did not realize it was such an ordeal... I have seen many users with Aftermarket oil press. that I didn't realize went thru so much to do. Thanks!

eightyfivelude
03-02-2004, 01:46 PM
maybe wait and see some more replies. I know that is what i had to do. Someone else might no something i don't. I don't know everything as much as i would like to think i do.

Good luck,

Matt

damnthesenames
03-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Either way, thank you!

Does anyone have an extra oil filter holder thing laying around I could buy off 'em for cheap? I'd like to use that one to put an aftermarket sensor on opposed to pull the current one off

Update* Heads on, half the stuff's plugged back in. Need to put the T-Belt on and i'm good to go!