PDA

View Full Version : the joys of dumb mechanics

FatDave
02-26-2004, 03:33 PM
2 weeks ago while driving down home from my sisters house the top hole that the motor mount bolts into the block (under the timing belt cover) decided to break into 3 pieces and fall into crank sprocket and gouge the Poo out if it and rip my belt to shreds, thank god, allah, buddah or whom ever the belt didnt snap but instead just jumped time and died ( i was only going about 15 , out of gear rolling to a stop) well, after getting a tow from my brother in law ( fun ride at 55 mph being pulled behind a huge chevy dually about a foot from its bumper at night) well, after getting a timing belt and watert pump we tackled the project, everything was going great, until we tried to get the crank pully off, seems some dolt that did a timing belt before i owned the car rounded the bolt off, same with the alt. pivot bolt nut, and the one on the bracket, and cross threaded 3 of the 4 plugs, well after a long hard struggle we got everything together and the old hatchie is running, but i stopped at a little "buy here Pay here" lot to look at a 1986 Rear wheel drive corolla (AE86), seem the guy would like to trade straight across for my old hatchie :D tell me what you think, BTW the AE86 is alittle rusty and has about 150xxx on the clock, im supposed to take it for a test drive friday after work

k-roy
02-26-2004, 03:35 PM
Oh man don't ask that question around here. We are all gonna say keep your car.

erics86dx
02-26-2004, 03:51 PM
oh mannnnnn its the ae86 lol everytime someone talks about it i just see initial d, i dont know anything about the 86, so whatever your choice is make sure its the right one

MrBen
02-26-2004, 03:54 PM
I think the AE86 is a piece of shit. Keep your car.

NXRacer
02-26-2004, 04:03 PM
those 86's are only worth like $1100 tops if its in really good condition and i bet the guy thats selling it knows that so unless your car is in equal condition, i wouldnt trade straight across for it.

Those older toyotas are strong as hell and go forever (i used to drive an old toyota). Better make sure you have some money to drop into it if you get it because its almost deffinately going to need parts to get up and running good.

87Hybrid
02-26-2004, 06:43 PM
It depends on which motor the corolla has, if it is a GTS with the twin cam GO FOR IT!!!!, If is an SR-5 or below it is an underpowered POS, slower than a 3Gwith a ton in the trunk and a slushbox.

FatDave
02-26-2004, 08:55 PM
it is a GTS twin cam, the only reason i would consider this trade is because the old hatch is getting REALLY rough, and with no cat it will never pass the "improved" St.louis emissions inspections and the rear subframe connectors are really eaten with rust, i think the guy was drawn in by monster tach ( was sitting in my 88 thunderbird turbo coupe) and 14x7 wire rims ( they came with the car ) and my "custom" exhaust the price on the AE86 is $1500 my car isnt worth near that, in fact i traded a olds 455 long block for it, i'd love to keep the old hatchie if i thought it would make it the year without the rear subframe falling off

FatDave
02-27-2004, 05:01 PM
seems im keeping the hatch, the AE86 needs a water pump, u joint, tranny work, and seems to have electric gremlins, after some haggling i got the price down to $800 and get to keep my hatch, but im not going to buy it i'll just spend the money on hookers and crack :D