PDA

View Full Version : Somethings wrong!!!!!!

ace12210
02-27-2004, 07:11 AM
Well this morning my car drove fine for about 5 minutws and then everytime I would let off the clutch the engine would completly bogg down and dies. When I did get it going it would jerk real hard and not have any power. IT IS A 88 LX 5-SPEED. What happened you guys? :help:

Blkblurr
02-27-2004, 07:25 AM
When you say let off the clutch I'm assuming you mean engage the clutch. Is this when you first take off? In first gear?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
02-27-2004, 10:47 AM
I assume you are driving stick properly. :D Is your engine working fine out of gear? Could be a fuel delivery problem. Your carburetor may need to be cleaned. Easy to do and would take about 20 minutes. Does this condition persist or is it a temporary occurence? Also, you may want to check your ignition components. Bad cap/rotor, condensation in the cap, fouled plugs, cracked wires. Check the small things first.

ace12210
02-27-2004, 06:25 PM
No... It does it all the time. More so when I am engauging the clutch. Yes I can drive a stick. It seems like the clutch has gone out. I can kinda smell it. The car has no power and it jerks alot like it is slipping. At an idle the engine is fine. It is just when I drive.

TINBOAT
02-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Clutch time, enjoy the ride !!!

ace12210
03-01-2004, 04:52 AM
Well I had it sitting over at a friends house. Last night when I went to pick it up it drove fine. The clutch was just as smooth as it could be. Why would the car do this? And also, are there any bushings in the shifter that keep it from bangging up against the transmission. My shifter moves up and down and whenever I shift you can hear the shifter hitting metal. How can I fix that and could that be a reason my car messed up. It has been like that since I got it.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-01-2004, 02:57 PM
The shifter has several bushings attaching it to the body, and the shift linkages. Yours may be worn out and could be allowing it to move too much or rattle in the linkages. It is not likely that your car acted strangely because of this. You may want to inspect the clutch cable and possible adjust it. The instructions for that are in the Shop Manual. Your clutch may have been slipping severely which caused the car to have uneven clutch engagement. This may be cause by clutch wear and incorrect cable adjustment.

Hope this helps.

racerx
03-02-2004, 05:28 PM
I had the same problem a few months ago: intermittent power. chug-vroom-chug-vroom kinda situation. it felt poppy, like it couldnt decide if it wanted to go or not, right?
well, my problem was my fuel pump giving out. but i think the cap, rotor, and unclean carb could have a lot to do with it too, so i would check those things out first. if not, it's gonna have to be the fuel pump... dang.

ace12210
03-02-2004, 08:46 PM
I can hear the fuel pump it seems to be doing fine. I replaced the thremostat and that helped my overheating prob. Now the car wont idle. it will run but if I take my foot off the gas it dies. If the rpm get down to about 1000 and I give it gas, the rpm countinue to go down and then hesitate before going up. I have no idea what is going on? And also about my shifter, it is sitting on my exhaust. I don't know why but I took the console off and there is some plastic piece broke and the shifter moves up and down. I can push it down and hear it "clang" up against my pipes.

HondaBoy
03-02-2004, 09:04 PM
hey, could that maybe be a vacuum problem? ive head that can mess up your clutch. as you said you smell a funny smell, so i may just be time for a new clutch. if it makes you fell any better, my friends SVT focus's clutch went out after about 5000 miles! it was some kinda of malfuntion not completely cause by him. he did drive it hard but it was an obvious thing covered by the warrenty. good luck with your problem.

ace12210
03-03-2004, 06:22 PM
The car is running fine. I can drive it and everything but it wont hold an idle. I don't know why? It runs but when I push in the clutch, the car dies. Like what I said it gets down to about 1000 rpm and I try to give it gas, it hesitates and then revs up. What can I do to get it to hold an idle.

Michael Cote
03-07-2004, 04:57 PM
Check PCV. If the little flapper is gone out of it, your sucking too much air at idle and quits. Pinch off vacuum line to PCV with needle-nose plyers and see if idles better. If so replace PCV. If that doesn't work, check low speed solenoid on back of carb. It's about 2 inches long and has one wire coming from it. Get someone to turn key off and on while you put your hand on it. It should click when key is turned on and click again when key is turned off. Try hooking a wire from a fuse box connector that's only live when ignition is on and put a quick-connect on the wire from that solenoid temperarily out of door and over fender. If car runs normal then that's your problem. Run that wire through your firewall to carb solenoid but hook up a fuse. Those are easy cheip checks to do. Goodluck, Mike C.