PDA

View Full Version : PowerCoating Header?

Rendon LX-i
02-27-2004, 11:48 AM
I wanted to know if power coating my header be good? would it be able to withstand the heat? has anyone powercoated there header before? thanks

nswst8
02-27-2004, 02:07 PM
A coating like this needs to be tempered and cured in an oven, will give you your best results.
Hope this helps, LOL
Phil :cheers:

dXsquared
02-27-2004, 02:14 PM
power coating is cured in the oven lol

ask the shop if they have HIGH HEAT powder... or ceramic powder or somthing designed for headers

Travis

jonrichert
02-27-2004, 03:46 PM
i work at a powder coating shop, and most likely a powder coat would peel off with the heat from the manifold. if you're talking about ceramic coating your stock header, its probably not worth it for the small improvement in cooling.

Rendon LX-i
02-27-2004, 06:14 PM
No im repainting a after market one. pacesetter. 4-2-1 and an i took it in and got it all striped. so i need to take it some place to ethier paint it with high temp paint. or something. so power coating my header would do no good then. just HIGH TEMP PAINT.

dXsquared
02-27-2004, 08:54 PM
maybe paint it and bring it to a place with an oven so you dont have to stink up your oven... they wouldnt really charge alot cuz the oven is already on...your just throwing one extra thing in

Travis

Rendon LX-i
02-27-2004, 09:29 PM
yeah true. doesnt matter how long i have it dryed or what. like if i paint it today for example would i able to take it in the next 2 days or i have to take it in right away.

dXsquared
02-27-2004, 09:58 PM
no clue.. but get a spot lined up before you paint.. then get it down ASAP..

Travis

RobT5580
02-28-2004, 08:27 AM
I dont think the powder coating will hold up to that heat. They do have high temp stuff but i dont think it will hold up to the temps of the header. The best coating for heat is a thermal coating like i did on my turbo header and downpipe but its not cheap. But its said to hold up to over 1800 Degrees and is backed on at very high tempetures as well.